Author Topic: Neighbour's HUGE cat is terrifying our Bert.  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Neighbour's HUGE cat is terrifying our Bert.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 18:01:35 PM »
I think Alisons option is the only way really, a water pistol or washing up bottle of water is another possibility for the terror cat, it doesnt always work tho.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:38:11 PM »
Poor Bert and You :hug:

Would it be possible to hang around with Bert and at the first sign of trouble shoo the neighbours cat away.

We had a similar problem when a lovely Bengal started coming in the garden and terrifying Archie. OH used to go out and shoo it away. In the end it got the message and did not come back

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 16:50:48 PM »
Yeah, thanks, have got a Feliway on the go, and he calms down once he's in. It's just horrible hearing screaming in the bushes and then suddenly Bert will race up to the top of the tree. He's only small so he's no match for the other cat!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 22:54:47 PM »
Might be easier to try and chill Bert out using Feliway plug in in your house and sprinkling Zylkene capsules on his food?

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
Neighbour's HUGE cat is terrifying our Bert.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 21:45:36 PM »
I'm sure this is a common and age-old problem but hoped someone may have some ideas...

Our very nervous rescue cat Bert has had a few wobbles since we got him due to his deep fear of humans, however in the last few days we seem to have earned some trust from him and he has settled into a routine that seems to have calmed in down.

This was until the neighbour's massive cat started chasing him and generally terrifying him. This cat was here first so I understand that Bert has invaded his territory, but all the other local cats seem to get along, and Bert loves them. This cat will either force Bert right up a tree or he will run inside if he can. He is now nervous when he walks out, which is a shame as he loves being outside, plus I hate hearing the noise knowing little Bert is being attacked again.

We are in a ground floor flat with very large communal gardens so it is impossible to use fencing etc. Is there any way I can put this cat off coming into the area directly outside our door, which is the only bit Bert uses?  :thanks:

Link to CatChat