Author Topic: Young Cat Very Thin Soft Stools  (Read 3328 times)

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
Re: Young Cat Very Thin Soft Stools
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 16:44:25 PM »
Have you tried feeding Purina One Sensitive? the reason I say this is we adopted 2 cats from CP once and we were advised that they both had to eat this as their main diet otherwise they suffered diarrhoea,  if we tried to change the food it came back.  They were also not too bad with other Purina but would start with sensitive first.  I know of other cat's it's helped too -  it may not help your cat but certainly worth a try.  If all tests have come back ok and he's eating well and gaining a bit of weight it does sound like stress and/or food allergy, maybe he will always be tiny but if he's not digesting the food well then that won't help either.  Best of luck.
Have you tried feeding Purina One Sensitive? the reason I say this is we adopted 2 cats from CP once and we were advised that they both had to eat this as their main diet otherwise they suffered diarrhoea,  if we tried to change the food it came back.  They were also not too bad with other Purina but would start with sensitive first.  I know of other cat's it's helped too -  it may not help your cat but certainly worth a try.  If all tests have come back ok and he's eating well and gaining a bit of weight it does sound like stress and/or food allergy, maybe he will always be tiny but if he's not digesting the food well then that won't help either.  Best of luck.

Thank you dear,
The vet has prescribed Royal Canin sensitivity control wet. Food allergies are something I am looking at and now I have enough Canin wet so that I can test that. I just ordered more on the net. From this evening he wont get any biscuits only the wet food. The problem so far is that when the antibiotic wears off he gets sick again. I am giving him antibiotics twice a day now and this is his second day so another 8 days to go for the course then we can see if any possible infection has gone. They now have a stool sample to test. It is very frustrating when the vet does not know what the matter is. If the stool sample is negative then I will discuss an ex-ray but the little  :) cat has a heart-murmour and that will have to be considered

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:05:08 AM »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:08:25 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 21:28:43 PM »
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your points which I've noted. The vet is sending me some stuff in the post though I noticed his pooh was more solid today so he may be just pulling out of it. Vet told me stick to feeding him one type of biscuit for the moment. It is possible that stress and the effects of a rough early life before it arrived to me rather than any illness was the source, but I will re-worm when the medicine arrives if he is not ok by then. She must be sending some tummy stuff as well. If all that doesent work then we can test his pooh.
Update: £500 in vet bills and taxi fares and the vets have no idea what is wrong with the cat, kept in for a few days, tested for diseases, thyroid and liver and (twice so far) wormed and was briefly better after an antibiotic. I found this post on the net so obviously others will want to know so when I do find out what is the problem I'll post. Will ask for a stool test and then x-ray.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 14:39:39 PM »
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your points which I've noted. The vet is sending me some stuff in the post though I noticed his pooh was more solid today so he may be just pulling out of it. Vet told me stick to feeding him one type of biscuit for the moment. It is possible that stress and the effects of a rough early life before it arrived to me rather than any illness was the source, but I will re-worm when the medicine arrives if he is not ok by then. She must be sending some tummy stuff as well. If all that doesent work then we can test his pooh.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 23:02:19 PM »
If I could have got the vet back I could have asked her.

Surely the vet surgery will have a record of the operation and they will have put some sort of age on his records?  I'm just wondering if there is any possibility of this being a much older cat.  It is not uncommon for an elderly cat to be mistaken for a much younger one.  Our lovely Dingle RIP was only small looked like a kitten well into her teenage years.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 23:05:23 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Ambi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 22:26:14 PM »
Our eldest has a dodgy digestion and had from we got him, we were told it wouldnt be the dry food he was on [RC] but to cut a long story short, it was.  We finally got him stablilised on Natures Menu kitten wet food with some Hills sensitive dry food  - the latter is adult food as strangely enough they dont do sensitive in kitten food which i always found odd for Hills.  Anyway it did him not harm - the Natures Menu made up for it and he has did brilliantly especially in the stool department.  Another good one is Pro Plan kitten sensitive.

If you are changing food please do so gradually over 5 or so days as these little poppets with digestive problems are so easily upset :Luv2:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 21:31:56 PM »
Which dry are you feeding? Dry can often be the problem due to high carbohydrate content in most. Have you tried him on plain baked chicken for a few days to a week to see if that settles it down? perhaps combine that with a probiotic.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
I took on a 10 month old kitten who hads not been neutered and his tummy was upset ever since the neutering.

He has been on special food and a suplement from vets and in last two days he is finally getting solid.

I would definately get a vet check done and if your vet will not reply, is there a better one you can use?
I have no idea how old this stray is I thought he might be three months but guess it must be longer. If I could have got the vet back I could have asked her. This cat has had slushy stools even before being neutered and it is on a dry diet. Most of the vets are useless where I live. Nobody ever stays very long and they will hold onto bad staff simply because they are reliable. Thats what happens if you live in a backwater.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 23:16:54 PM »
I took on a 10 month old kitten who hads not been neutered and his tummy was upset ever since the neutering.

He has been on special food and a suplement from vets and in last two days he is finally getting solid.

I would definately get a vet check done and if your vet will not reply, is there a better one you can use?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 22:43:29 PM »
It's unusual for a vet to neuter a kitten at so young an age.  You did mean 3 months ... err not years? 

I would speak to vet about the soft stools and generally ask vet for her thoughts on age and any other health issues she may have noticed.  Well done you for taking him on  :hug:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
Young Cat Very Thin Soft Stools
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 21:30:02 PM »
I adopted a stray young cat  ;) I think about three months old. He was extremly emaciated and although he eats much more than the other cats he is putting on weight very gradually. And he has always had soft stools. I feed him now only on dry food and he drinks water. He was in for spaying recently and I missed a chance to get the vets opinion on him and although I have left messages my vet never phoned me back. I will check her agian but in the meantime wonder if anyone has come across these symptoms? I treated the cat for worms with the vet quality wormer a month ago.

Link to CatChat