Author Topic: I feel like the worst cat mum ever  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
Re: I feel like the worst cat mum ever
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 23:19:27 PM »
Thanks all  :hug:

Gillian the vet has given me 10 zylkene capsules and as I decided to give her a break today i'll start them tomorrow.

The Vet gave her the steroid jab for her cystitis but said it would help the allergy symptoms calm down too.

I'm hoping she forgives me poor baby.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 22:31:03 PM »
Sadly they do no matter how good a meowmy you are  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 21:40:35 PM »
Oh, and agree with Helen, as she said, these things happen  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 21:39:00 PM »
Hopefully once you've done the house and then frontlined her again you'll have cracked the flea problem.  :hug:

If the stress cystitis has been caused by the other two bullying her, I'd get some Feliway plug ins on the go, if you havent already. What did the vet give her for the cystitis?

FORLs are quite difficult to spot and they usually come to light when the cat has gone in for a dental when they are able to do a much closer examination. What has the vet recommended? Theres a bit more about FORLS here http://www.petsmile.org/owners/dental_disease/forls.html . They are often linked with stomatitis, so this site by expert Dr Addie has more info on this and it, in turn, can be linked to diet as in humans http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html . One of my cats, Ben, has had these, if I remember rightly the affected teeth were removed and he's fed raw now anyway as they say a more natural diet can be helpful.  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 21:31:45 PM »
Hey, you're not a bad cat Mum  :hug: These things can happen to the most loved and pampered cats  :hug:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
I feel like the worst cat mum ever
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 18:43:56 PM »
Mia's always been a low maintenance cat but developed a flea allergy two months ago, i've applied one lot of frontline and was due to apply some more but at the weekend she wee'd on the floor by the litter trays as I was cleaning them out (I had 5 trays, now have 6  :Crazy: ).  Then yesterday I let them out in the garden and saw her trying to wee but nothing came out so took her to the vet today.

They suspect its stress cystitis as even though i'm front-lining them I need to do it more often to kill the eggs, and I need to Acclaim the house again too.  Also she gets bullied by Nova and Luna occasionally.

But the worst thing is she checked her teeth and believes she has FORLS which is caused by an auto-immune issue  :'(  I asked about her teeth last year and the vets gave me Logic gel.  She has no problems eating dry food and is her normal happy-ish self.

I feel so bad, my poor baby.  She's been given a steroid jab and i'll be taking her back in a few weeks for a dental.

Link to CatChat