Author Topic: Indoor to outdoor help please  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Indoor to outdoor help please
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 18:40:44 PM »

My vet told me that they do not do FeLv jabs after 9 yrs old because by then cats have built up an immunity to it, so a client would have to insist.

I dont know whats gonna happen when I post this cos most of ees have highlighted yellow LOL

What Sue said about insurance and jabs is right but the vet can say that jabs will affect the cats health and that is OK.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
but at her age dont do FeLV as not needed,

Is FelV not needed after a certain age then, or do you mean it shouldn't be started after a certain age?
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:17:40 AM »

Sounds like Maz is enjoying her new found freedom.   :)

Sound advice from Gill.  I only worm and de-flea quarterly to be honest.  Paddy was never prone to picking up fleas, and neither has Tess (our dog) although Tess acquires ticks quite a lot even using Frontline, but usually that's because she likes to romp through heather, so she picks up deer ticks.

You can get some very good collars of the kind Gill describes from Kittycollars.  They're much safer in the event a cat gets inadvertently gets their collar hooked on something, as they snap rather than stretch - a stretched collar can hang a cat, and they run the risk of getting a leg stuck through or having it get caught in their mouths.  Not pleasant.

Our vet is one of those who doesn't advocate vaccinations on older dogs and cats, but often you will need to keep them vaccinated in any event in order not to invalidate insurance.  It's very much a personal decision.  I admit I didn't take out insurance for Paddy until he was around 8 years old and was fortunate that we didn't need it until he was 15, but it can be a useful safety net.

Other than that, it sounds like Maz is very happy, and long may she continue to be healthy.   ;D :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 00:16:17 AM »
You are very welcome and am sure your vet will put there 4pennyworth in too  ;D

I know many on Purrs religeously worm and deflea every month but pursonally I dont like doing it that often unless I see a flea.

Offline mumtomaz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 00:03:08 AM »
Wow, thank you so much for such a detailed reply!  I might print this out when I take her to the vet :thanks:

She is neutered so no chance of kittens - and thank you very much for pointing out insurance, I'd not even thought of that. 

Brilliant, thanks a million :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 21:02:35 PM »
As long as she is out by choice she needs vacinnations, Flu and enteritus and a chip and possible a breakaway buckle coller......not one with the elastic.

You will have to start from scratch with vacs but at her age dont do FeLV as not needed, so vacs are in two parts about 3e weeks apart and she really should not be out before the course finishes.

I take it she is neutered? If not get her in quick or kittens will be on your doorstep and she is too old for them.

Frontline is good and a wormer can be got from your vet, he can give when he sees her.........or a spot on wormer only from vets bit must be put on a week before or after spot on flea.

Never buy Bob Martins or other over the counter flea or wormer, except frontline flea. Miilibax is a mini pill from vet as a wormer but I find the spot on better and easier to administer.

Fleas in the house can be treated with a spray from the vets Indorex or something else, again dont by over the counter stuff. I know that others will use this if one flea comes in on a cat but I dont, havent used it ever here and that nearly 7 years.

I also only flea and worm once a year unless there is evidence of a need  :innocent:

If she is now going out you really should consider insurance, AXA is the best and cheapest and you can get an online quote.

Offline mumtomaz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mazzy
Indoor to outdoor help please
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 19:54:24 PM »
My lovely 12 year old has been an indoor cat ever since I adopted her 10 yrs ago from a rescue centre.  She was so traumatised then that they wanted her to go to an indoor home.  She had been speyed and vaccinated by the charity. 

As she's been an indoor cat ever since and not mixed with other cats, I've not given her any boosters and she's never been to the vet.  I know this is not good but she's always seemed in perfect health. 

However I'm now living in a flat with a back garden and Maz has been going outside during the day for the last 6 mths or so.  At first just for supervised short periods but now she's more free to come and go as she pleases, although she never goes out for more than around 30 mins (her choice).  There are other cats in the area and she recently caught fleas, which I Frontlined, but it got me thinking...  I want to check that I'm doing everything ok from now on.

So, I need to:
worm her - I've not done this before
register and take her to the vet for a check up

What about booster vacs, or would I need to start from scratch?  She's in good health as far as I can make out but she is 12, so she's not a young 'un.  I've read that some vacs aren't recommended after a certain age and I'd welcome your thoughts.  She's not a hunter and I very much doubt she'd ever get in a fight if that makes any difference. 

Is there anything else I need to be aware of or that I should be doing?  She gets lots of cuddles and playtime, I give her good quality food, she gets brushed every other day - despite not having taken her to the vet, she is a very much loved puss. 

Link to CatChat