Author Topic: Moral Support Required  (Read 19937 times)

Offline Harry and Katies Mum

• Adult Cat
Re: Moral Support Required
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2011, 20:03:22 PM »
So sorry........could it be the insulin doseage is not right?

I dont know how the pancreas condition affects this but hope your vet can sort out what ever the problem is.

What effect physically on Harry does the elevated glucose level have?

Sending lots of good wishes  :hug: :hug:

It is possible the doseage isn't right but its the fact that the blood glucose started to climb again after 4 hours it is only supposed to be given every 12 hours so if it only lasts for 4 hours it means that it isn't lasting long enough.

Overall it probably doesn't have any effect on him it just means its putting all his other organs under undo strain which means in the long rung it won't do him any good - well I think thats what it means but I'll fax the results to the vet tomorrow and see what she says.  I really am beginning to think its not the right insulin for him.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2011, 16:50:24 PM »
Is Harry on Caninsulin?  I'm just wondering if it could be wrong for him, as I think you said his previous insulin was discontinued?  My boy Blackie's insulin was discontinued and he's on HPZ Bovine now.  The vet said that was very close to his previous one which was HPZ. 

Good that Harry is eating and playing well anyway. Good vibes for you both. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2011, 23:33:08 PM »
So sorry........could it be the insulin doseage is not right?

I dont know how the pancreas condition affects this but hope your vet can sort out what ever the problem is.

What effect physically on Harry does the elevated glucose level have?

Sending lots of good wishes  :hug: :hug:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2011, 21:15:09 PM »
Evening everyone well Harry still appears to be doing really well eating well, playing and everything he was doing.  However we've done his blood glucose curve today and its not very good his lowest point was 15 and his highest is 24 not between the 5 and 10 he's supposed to be.  I'll fax the curve off to the vets on Monday and he's going Tuesday morning to have his blood taken to test his potassium level, fructosamine and whatever the pancreas test is - she did say but I can't remember what its called.

Hmmmm just when I thought everything was getting back to normal we don't seem to be able to stablise his blood sugar hopefully its just a blip but I'm wondering if there is still something wrong with his pancreas.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2011, 13:30:56 PM »
Wonderful  ;D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
Hi everyone thank you all.  Harry is definately back to his old self can't wait to get his nose in his food bowl.  Comes to greet everyone at the front door.  Having a pop at the dog every chance he gets (which is a big black german shepherd! you'd think he'd pick on something his own size)
Katie doesn't worry about him now and we've had no hissing or growling so all in all I think we are finally back to normal.  I just need to check with the vets today when to stop his tablets and potassium supplement.  Also going to try and do a blood glucose curve at the weekend to make sure thats still stable especially as he's eating all his food now which I don't think he was doing in the vets. Also need to check with the vets when they want to do the blood test and then keep our fingers crossed for a good result.

Hopefully this time next week things really will be back to normal.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2011, 22:58:29 PM »
Just delighted that Harry has pulled through his awful ordeal and that Katie is slowly accepting him back  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2011, 17:43:30 PM »
good to hear things are settled again

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
Ditto  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2011, 08:56:44 AM »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2011, 07:06:48 AM »
This just makes me so happy  ;D ;D

What she said.   :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2011, 00:56:06 AM »
So good to hear that Harry's home and doing well!  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2011, 22:45:50 PM »
This just makes me so happy  ;D ;D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2011, 22:20:05 PM »
Thankfully it didn't rain for too long today it was just very hard when it did.

Harry seems to be doing really well and is getting back to normal he's mooching about and eating well now we've got him on the wet food and the best bit of news Katie has stopping hissing and growling at him they aren't quite back to normal but its certainly a dramatic improvement from Monday.  Heres hoping when he goes for his blood test next week the results are all back to normal.  We'll probably do our own blood glucose curve this weekend to make sure everything is ok.

Thank you all for help and support through what I've found to be a very difficult time and Harry and Katie want to say thank you for get well vibes and the hugs.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2011, 19:32:32 PM »
Have to say that here on the east coast we are basking in sunshine, we seem to be getting more this year

My BIL climmed Ben Nevis having walked the West Highland way earlier this year and it rained

Hope Harry is being a good boy and that him and Katie are getting on better

I just kept moving North having started life in Kent and now wouldn't move from where we are as we have our dream home and the cats and dogs love it
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2011, 16:48:36 PM »
Got price wrong was £31.40 and no P&p!

• Adult Cat
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2011, 16:31:48 PM »

I would love to relocate to Scotland.  Nethy Bridge would be my area of choice, although for many years we used to holiday in Strathpeffer up past Inverness, and Cromarty on the Black Isle.

I like Fort William and Fort Augustus but it rains a bit much there for me...  :evillaugh:

Yep I know all those places - when we first moved up we rented a place in Tain and went to watch the seals and dolphins at Cromarty.

Its very wet here at the moment but I think the little midges are possibly the worst thing about being here :evillaugh: horrible little things.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2011, 15:38:21 PM »

I would love to relocate to Scotland.  Nethy Bridge would be my area of choice, although for many years we used to holiday in Strathpeffer up past Inverness, and Cromarty on the Black Isle.

I like Fort William and Fort Augustus but it rains a bit much there for me...  :evillaugh:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2011, 15:15:54 PM »
Thats really strange cos my site is £31.80 and yours is £32.99.............I wonder if it picks up something from our comps.

Arhhhhhhh the M25 lol but have to say I stilll love London but cant afford to live in the better parts or even the bad ones now.

Sounds lovely scenery where you are but just tooooooooooo cold for me, just like here where it spends more time raining than anything else........sigh

Hoping to move back east sometime but prices here are ridiculously low and nothing is selling.

If I can get to about 2hrs driving from London that will do me great and thinking about rural Cambridgeshire.

hmmm possibly its not so bad as I paid £32.99 on the other site and no postage which is good.

hehehe it does get cold here especially the winters but we aren't great fans of the heat and it was too hot in the summers for us down there so its all good here.  Rural Cambridgeshire is nice but my other half loves mountains so he loves it here and now we have a dog its any excuse to get up the mountain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2011, 14:21:14 PM »
Thats really strange cos my site is £31.80 and yours is £32.99.............I wonder if it picks up something from our comps.

Arhhhhhhh the M25 lol but have to say I stilll love London but cant afford to live in the better parts or even the bad ones now.

Sounds lovely scenery where you are but just tooooooooooo cold for me, just like here where it spends more time raining than anything else........sigh

Hoping to move back east sometime but prices here are ridiculously low and nothing is selling.

If I can get to about 2hrs driving from London that will do me great and thinking about rural Cambridgeshire.

• Adult Cat
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2011, 14:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the link but they are a £1 more expensive LOL and were going to be my original option until I found the other.

Wow you are in the highlands, I know thats Scotland but not sure where.

Must make an order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh how weird as on the food for Harry its about 80p cheaper I've ordered some food for Harry so hopefully it won't take long to arrive although we've got the box from the vet so enough to keep him going. 

We are about 2 hours north of Glasgow and about 1/2 hr south of Fort William where Ben Nevis is.  We are surrounded by mountains and lochs the scenery is fantastic and everything is much more relaxed but then I'm originally from Surrey and tackled the M25 everyday.  We only moved here about 3 years ago but definately the best thing we ever did.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2011, 13:33:14 PM »
Thanks for the link but they are a £1 more expensive LOL and were going to be my original option until I found the other.

Wow you are in the highlands, I know thats Scotland but not sure where.

Must make an order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Adult Cat
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »
I think you should check the insulin issue with the vet cos one or other insulin doesnt agree with some cats.

This is I think the cheapest site for the food with free P&P

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~royal-canin-veterinary-diet-feline-gastrointestinal-so-wet/~product_id=795/~category_id=MA-CATS-FOOD-ROYAL_CANIN-VETERINARY_DIET/~root_category_id=MA-CATS

Sending lots of good wishes for Harry and hope he is stabalized now  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Gill

I found these people and they look to be slightly cheaper than the place you use.  Unfortunately the guys you use will charge us delivery as we are in the Highlands and these guys don't appear to.  I thought I'd post the link for you as you may get yours a bit cheaper here as well.

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/cats/cat-food/royal-canin-veterinary-diets/Royal-Canin-Veterinary-Diets-Feline-Moderat-Calorie-Gastro-Intestinal-Wet-48x100g-Pouches.html

• Adult Cat
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »
Thank you.  I will mention it to the vet as I need to phone her to sort out Harry's blood test for next week.

Thank you for the link Gill I'll have a look later tonight and do the order as he seems to quite like that food so I don't mind feeding it to him if he's going to eat it.  Seemed silly to try and force feed him the dry stuff when there was an alternative.

Katie didn't growl or hiss at him at breakfast time so hopefully that little issue is getting there although I did have to remove her from his food bowl as she thinks its quite nice too I can see us having to shut them in 2 separate rooms at feed time otherwise he won't get his potassium supplement as Katie will have eaten it all.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2011, 07:09:40 AM »
Am very pleased to hear Harry appears to be getting back to his usual self.

I agree with Gill - is worth mentioning the insulin issue to the vet, just to cover all of your bases.  :hug: :hug:  Mac says "Hi" to Harry.   :cat rub:  (And to Katie 'cos he's not rude  :catlove2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2011, 23:21:31 PM »
I think you should check the insulin issue with the vet cos one or other insulin doesnt agree with some cats.

This is I think the cheapest site for the food with free P&P

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~royal-canin-veterinary-diet-feline-gastrointestinal-so-wet/~product_id=795/~category_id=MA-CATS-FOOD-ROYAL_CANIN-VETERINARY_DIET/~root_category_id=MA-CATS

Sending lots of good wishes for Harry and hope he is stabalized now  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2011, 22:15:48 PM »
Thank you all.  Harry is currently curled up in front of the radiator on his new bed he's even started playing again.

I'm hopeful that the insulin is now at the right dose as they vet sorted it all out while he was with them.  What makes me wonder about the insulin is we only changed him from Insuvet to Caninsulin on the Friday and by the following Friday he was ill and Saturday he was staying at the vets.  Its probably a coincidence but its certainly got me wondering and when we picked him up yesterday we saw a different vet and she implied it was all down to the insulin change.

Don't suppose it really matters at least he made it through and now we seem to have sorted the food as we can give him the wet version the only issue left is Katie to stop hissing and growling at him but it seems to be getting less so we'll see what the next days bring.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2011, 22:07:57 PM »
some more healing vibes for Harry  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2011, 21:45:54 PM »
Just to say we have had 2 disbetic cats and both were on Canin insulin and stabilised very quickly and were fine to their ends which was from an unrelated diabetic ilnness one at 14 and one at 19

Hoping things get better between the two of them and that you can get the insulin issue sorted, we always got a new bottle monthly wether the other one was finished as thats what they advise with Canin insulin
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2011, 20:15:17 PM »
oh my goodness I've just found the thread and Harry was on the Insuvet Lente and he's just been changed to the Cannisulin - I wish we'd known all this before and I even mentioned to the vet on the phone on the Friday when I was first worried about Harry that I thought it was his insulin.  I wish I'd been warned I nearly lost my little boy because of this.

Hopefully he is stable now though and everything should be ok  although from what I'm reading each bottle is different and I've got the one that the vets in Inverness where using and the one we were using that may have caused the problem so I wonder if we shouldn't use that bottle if it varies from bottle to bottle. I might have to ask the vet about that.

• Adult Cat
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2011, 19:55:11 PM »
Interesting you mention the change of the insulin cos there is a thread abut this somewhere and an alternative to the one that was stopped but it has to be sourced by the vet.

If I remember correctly.......ummmmmmmmmmm lol............one is bovine and the other from a different animal, cant remember which one was stopped but cats dont always do well on the one that they are changed to and believe its a insulin made for humans that is the one closest to the stopped one.

ohhhh I might have to go in search of that thread then and see if it happens to be the same ones as we've been using. 

The vet was happy with Harry although he does still have abit of a temperature and so she's put him back on antibiotics.  She also said we could switch him to the wet food and she had some there so thats what he's had for tea and it was head in the bowl and he was stuffing his face I haven't been back to see if he's finished it all yet but I don't suppose theres much left.  I'm off now to search the internet to see the cheapest place I can get it from.

Katie is still having a pop at him but not as much as yesterday so hopefully in a day or two we'll be back to normal.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2011, 19:47:32 PM »
Interesting you mention the change of the insulin cos there is a thread abut this somewhere and an alternative to the one that was stopped but it has to be sourced by the vet.

If I remember correctly.......ummmmmmmmmmm lol............one is bovine and the other from a different animal, cant remember which one was stopped but cats dont always do well on the one that they are changed to and believe its a insulin made for humans that is the one closest to the stopped one.

• Adult Cat
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »
Sorry I've missed this.   I'm glad Harry is doing better and is back home.  Fingers crossed he goes from strength to strength.

Have you got any feliway?  That might help with Katie's reaction to him.  It's completely normal when they've been at the vets for a while - he will smell totally different and probably has that eau de vet surgery smell about him!

No I haven't got any feliway although I have to confess I was just looking it up on the internet.  I must admit Harry does smell funny and the other half says so too.  I don't think its helped by the change in food and also his potassium supplement that has to go over his food as that smells odd too.

I'll see how the 2 of them are tonight and then try the damp cloth trick and think about getting a feliway thing as well.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:02 AM »
Sorry I've missed this.   I'm glad Harry is doing better and is back home.  Fingers crossed he goes from strength to strength.

Have you got any feliway?  That might help with Katie's reaction to him.  It's completely normal when they've been at the vets for a while - he will smell totally different and probably has that eau de vet surgery smell about him! 

• Adult Cat
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »
Thanks all I must have been mad thinking that when we got him home it would all go back to normal.  The night wasn't too bad although we went to bed and Katie usually goes to sleep on Andy's head but Harry who doesn't usually sleep on the bed decided he wanted to last night so Katie was having a pop at him.  Not sure where they both slept in the end but Katie wasn't in the bed when we got up this morning which is where we usually find her.  They didn't seem quite so bad this morning.

They usually share the same little tray and water bowl but I went round last night and set them up 2 different feeding areas and I've also put a second litter tray out as I didn't want Harry to stop going if he felt he couldn't use the existing one.  Harry is usually such a clean boy he will hold it rather than mess on the floor but I suppose if he got desperate enough he would.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it goes well at the vets today but I must admit I'm a bit confused as to why they want him back so soon but we'll just have to wait and see I suppose.  The main thing is he's home and although not quite the normal Harry I'm fairly certain thats because he's been away so long and he's probably feeling a little drained having been so poorly like we do. He's certainly purring and coming up for a fuss.

The vet did let slip yesterday that this all started because we had to change his insulin as they have stopped making the one he was on and they hope that once he's fully over this and now his blood sugar is stable we should be able to get back to normal but he may need his special food forever due to the pancreatitis he suffered.

Thank you all again for your continued support and I'll keep you posted.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2011, 07:04:25 AM »
So pleased Harry is home and hope the vet visit today goes well. When Algie had an op Noodle wouldn't go near him for few days and he hadn't even stayed at the vets overnight, hopefully Harry's sister will soon come round  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »
They should settle down together over the next few days.  Yes, he will smell odd to her, and animals have an uncanny knack of knowing what they associate with the V E T (and therefore often sickness).

Gill, it's good to know when things like this happen, there are others on the forum who can offer constructive help and you've been there so often with your lovely Gang of Four (past and present)  :hug:  Poor Ducha.  Loopy clearly cares a lot about him.  It's just his "Geordie Way"   ;)

Anyway, just wanted to say I hope Harry's spent a comfortable night back in his old familiar surroundings.   :hug:  Good luck with today's visit, and witht he food - hopefully you'll be able to ghet him the wet variety and keep everyone satisfied in the kitchen department.  :hug:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2011, 21:45:49 PM »
It doesnt mention anything about calories on the packets or the box and understand the problem cos Ducha grazes and have spent the last 4 weeks trying to stop Lupin eating his food but because Lupin head locks Ducha who is 18yrs old I have to shut Ducha in so he is safe.........sigh

Hope things gradually get back to normal and the problem with his siter probaly is that  Harry will smell of the vets not how he normally does.

Some times running a very slighty damp cloth over Harry and then rubbing it over the other cat will help, exchanges the scent.

Phew I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one that has this problem I've managed to get him to eat most of his food and he was eating his sisters which is the same as his without the supplement on, I know she doesn't need the special stuff but I asked the vet when I collected Harry as I knew he'd want to eat out of both bowls he always does.  I'll have to speak to the vet as I'm sure him getting food is more important and it was only a few mouth fulls he had.

Harry does smell different I suppose sweet is the word I think they've probably washed him at the vets as when he was really ill he didn't bother to move to go to the toilet so he was covered in all sorts.

I'll certainly give the damp cloth a go if she's still having a hissy fit at him tomorrow its all quiet at the moment but I think they are just keeping out of each others way.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2011, 20:38:42 PM »
It doesnt mention anything about calories on the packets or the box and understand the problem cos Ducha grazes and have spent the last 4 weeks trying to stop Lupin eating his food but because Lupin head locks Ducha who is 18yrs old I have to shut Ducha in so he is safe.........sigh

Hope things gradually get back to normal and the problem with his siter probaly is that  Harry will smell of the vets not how he normally does.

Some times running a very slighty damp cloth over Harry and then rubbing it over the other cat will help, exchanges the scent.

Link to CatChat