Author Topic: Moral Support Required  (Read 19938 times)

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
Re: Moral Support Required
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 00:24:56 AM »
So sorry to hear about Harry hope he is feeling better soon

Sending big hugs to you and Harry   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Xxx
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 00:19:35 AM »
Sending lots of good vibes for Harry and you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I know how exhausting this is especially when you are so worried  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 23:52:12 PM »
Sending loads of positive vibes for Harry and you.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Harry and Katies Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 22:20:21 PM »
Sounds like you have all had quite a day, sending more  :hug: :hug: :hug:  and positive thoughts for Harry

Thank you I think we need all the positive thoughts we can get.  We just have to take it a bit at a time at the moment but I think perhaps time is running out as I really don't want to put him through things if there really is no hope thats just not right and I have to do whats right for him not me.

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 22:17:30 PM »
So sorry to hear Harry is poorly ... can't offer any advice really but am sending lots of get well vibes from me and the furry purries are all sending kitty kisses to "The Monster"  :blow kiss: :grouphug:

thank you for the get well vibes.

I've just spoken to the vets and they've stabilised Harrys blood glucose he is still holding his head funny and they are going to redo his electrolytes in the morning to see if things have improved.  He still has a temperature so he's having more antibiotics and still having his potassium supplement.  They are currently trickle feeding him through a syringe and I believe they are doing short acting insulin i/m to control his blood glucose.

I must try and get some sleep tonight although I don't suppose I will even though I'm knackered. The vets are going to phone me again in the morning with an update and we'll have to take it from there.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 22:13:22 PM »
Sounds like you have all had quite a day, sending more  :hug: :hug: :hug:  and positive thoughts for Harry

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 21:02:56 PM »
So sorry to hear Harry is poorly ... can't offer any advice really but am sending lots of get well vibes from me and the furry purries are all sending kitty kisses to "The Monster"  :blow kiss: :grouphug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 20:56:30 PM »
Today was a tough day we got a call from the vet at 9.30 this morning to say Harry was hanging his head and she thought it was a potassium deficiency but she can't test this and give him proper treatment so could we take him to their other practice on the east coast of the Highlands - we live on the west coast. I managed to track the other half down and we went and collected Harry and started the 2 hour drive to the other side.  Harry didn't seem to bad when we picked him up moving his head around and actually quite alert.  Half was there he was barely moving and I wasn't convinced we'd make it.  Trouble is its summer holidays and there are alot of people around and only 1 very windy road from here to there so we went as fast as we could.

Anyways we arrived and met the new vet (consultant surgeon I think she was) she checked Harry over and said he was very flat but took him off to do blood tests and set up a new drip and asked us to go back an hour later. 

So we went off and tried to eat something and went back to get the results now I can't really remember everything she said to be honest but his potassium level was dangerously low 2.1, I think, his blood glucose too high at 18.  There was also something to do with his bile duct, pancreas, kidneys and liver but I can't remember all the numbers and whether they were high or low. He didn't have any signs of infection and the phosphorous was normal which apparently if it hadn't have been would have been really bad.

She wanted to give him chance and had already put him on a drip with potassium and said that if this was going to work he should pick up this evening so I'm currently sat here waiting for a call from someone to see how he is this evening and then she's going to phone me again tomorrow.

I think this is probably the last chance if this doesn't work I think we will have to say goodbye to our little Harry Monster but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 13:36:09 PM »
sending some of these  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 08:29:21 AM »
Thank you all for your replies hopefully the blood results will show something so at least we know what we are dealing with.  I feel a bit of a wreck at the moment but probably nothing to how poor Harry feels.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 07:35:32 AM »
Hope Harry has improved  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 22:17:07 PM »
If you check this post may give you an idea of the things to look for

I know Elaine lost the darling Eva the Diva but she researched and went down every avenue

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,30794.msg554089.html#msg554089

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 21:59:30 PM »
Very sad when a cat is like that................what did the vet say about what is wrong with him?

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

She seems to be a bit stumped to be honest.  She knows he's had cystitis because she's tested his urine and there was blood, white blood cells and protein present.  She also seems to think he may have pancreatitis and also one of the nurses today could smell keytones on him but his urine test for this was negative twice.

They have sent bloods off for testing which should be back tomorrow so hopefully that might give them a clue but I've just been goggling things and found something called heptatic lipidosis (probably spelt that wrong) but its also called fatty liver disease or something.  I am beginning to wonder whether its perhaps a combination of things and although they've tackled most of them this other one can only be treated by force feeding which is something they've been trying to avoid doing as it stresses him out although apparently they did yesterday I think she said. I might just be clutching at straws but I'll see what she says tomorrow when the bloods come back and also ask her about whether this fatty liver thing is possible as it can start 1 to 2 days without food and Thursday morning will be the last time he ate something.

The good news is they did get his blood glucose down yesterday so perhaps thats one bit back under control.

Think we are just going to have to take one day at a time and hope the bloods show something.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 21:06:08 PM »
hope Harry is feeling better tomorrow  :hug:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 21:04:56 PM »
I have no practical advice I'm afraid, just a  :hug: and best wishes for Harry :care:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 21:04:00 PM »
Very sad when a cat is like that................what did the vet say about what is wrong with him?

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 21:01:50 PM »
Well I got in to see Harry - to be honest he doesn't really seem any better than when we dropped him off on Saturday although he did purr when I was fussing him.  He still isn't really eating although he is licking his food but he can't be bothered to move to the extent that he's just weeing where his laying which isn't like my Harry he's usually such a clean boy.

The vet took blood today and she's hoping to get the results tomorrow afternoon so we'll just have to wait and see but I'm really not sure where we go from here as he's been on a drip since Saturday as he's not eating and he wouldn't take food from me either.  He's had antibiotics, pain killers and anti inflamatory drugs so unless the bloods show anything I'm really not sure what we do next.

Suppose we'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks all for your comments and I'll keep you posted.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 17:09:55 PM »
Hope Harry and you get your cuddles.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 16:28:12 PM »
Lots of cuddles from me too, good luck  :hug: :hug:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 16:27:22 PM »
Well just phoned the vet but the receptionist doesn't know and the vet is in with a patient at the moment so I've asked if I can stop off on my way home and see him.  So 3 minutes to go before I leave and I can go give my little man a cuddle hopefully.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 16:05:16 PM »
I always leave my domestic crew at the vet but my ferals don't cope outside their home environment so we can isolate them in the guest bathrooms with their things and they are much easier for us to handle to

The human food and catmilk does work, I had Bailey our current Alpha male at the vet 18 months ago and vet said he wouldn't survive and was on a drip, I bottle fed him cat milk 5 times a day - we have wonderful vets and after 5 days said I was bringing him home as he needed his Mum so nursed him back to health with pureed everything and raw foods to and he is now back to normal and we never found out what was going on despite bllod tests sent daily to Glasgow vets school we knew more of what he didn't have :shocked:

I would follow vets advice on the whole as they are the experts on feline care we are just the slaves who devote our lives to them :hug:

He also need to be stable on the insulin front and eating is what does that, having had a feral and domestic diabetic we are quite up on what they entails to

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 15:51:27 PM »
Thank you again for your reply I have to phone them about 4 to see if he's eaten I may well see if they will let me go and see him if they won't let him home and once there perhaps I can convince them to let them bring him home.  I have his carry box in the car ready so there is no reason why I can't get him home today.  I think your right if he's trying to escape he must be feeling better and they've taken a blood test today for which they'll have the results tomorrow so I can always take him back tomorrow evening or sooner if he really goes down hill.  They do have an emergency vet I'm not entirely sure how it works but she's definately been in to see him all over the weekend and it was 9.30 last night that she phoned to give us an update.

Thank you for your reply Liz - I sort of understand what you are saying and I have tried to avoid searching the internet for info on the various things she mentioned but couldn't quite help myself so I do understand that some of what they think he has is very bad and there is the potential that he won't make it.  Perhaps I'd be best trying to see him tonight and then perhaps leave him there so they can get the blood test results tomorrow and see what that tells us also perhaps if I can get him to eat we might be able to break what now seems to be a bit of a vicious circle.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 15:44:08 PM »
having had 2 diabetics I would err on the side of caution bringing him home if he's not eating he can't process the insulin and this can lead to major complications

Also ask the vet if you can visit sometimes they will eat for us, I always take human foods, chicken, prawns and catmilk along with some catnip and their own bed or balnkie can work wonders though at one point mine had their own heatpads to

The vet doesn't know our animal as well as we do but medically they know what they are doing so raise your concerns and ask questions

Whilst I agree it is your decison to bring him home things to weigh up, how far away are you from the vet should something drastic happen

I am fortunate as we have done a lot of paalative care and can do injections, and put in lines and maintain drips as we have so many ferals our vets feel they are safer in the home environment

I say stay at the vet with personal feeding visits may be the best thing to get the everything stabilised again

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 15:59:56 PM by Liz »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 15:28:49 PM »
All I can say is that it is good to visit cats and should welcome it, if they dont I would be worried.

I can understand that his diabetes is a problem but he needs to eat.

The vet must justify why he needs to be kept there and not eating doesnt do it!

I had the same problem with Napoleon at two seperate very good vets and the first time they tried everything to get him to eat but he wouldnt, trashed his cage and was howling when I went through the door. He started eating at home bit only very slowly.

The second time he was very ill for a long time and had an op which he recovered from fine but he just would not eat and he came home odd days but had to keep going back cos his bladder blocked straight away again..........its a very long story so wont go there but after a month of hardly eating at vets while on a drip and off and eventually him being force fed which was awful, he just went downhill and had to have my beautiful boy PTS, he had just given up.

I elected to keep him at the vets after a very delicate op and I will never know if bringing him home may have caused him to eat again but as his bladder had been opened and stitched I thought it best for him to be under 24 hr care.

In your position I would definately bring Harry home before he gets too depressed and as said you can always take him back again if he goes downhill...............I assume your vets has 24/7 cover as she wants to keep him??

You can insist cos you know your cat best and all the vet can do is tell you the reasons why she wants him to stay but its your final decision.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 15:06:52 PM »
Hi there thank you for your reply I was tempted to ask if they would let him come home as i'm sure some of it is he hasn't been away from his sister in 11 years they've lived with me for 6 years and even when I went on holiday they used to stay at home and I got someone in to feed them.  I know his sister cried most of yesterday and last night as she doesn't undertstand where he's gone.  Alot is complicated by his diabetes as we don't know whether he should have his insulin injections if he isn't going to eat but we can do his blood glucose at home to see if its high.  I just don't know. 

I've got to phone the vets at 4 to see if he has decided to eat - they were going out to get him some whiskas as they've been trying to feed them the special diet type bland foods and he's only licking it so hopefully he'll eat his whiskas.  I don't know if they'll let me go and see him and perhaps he'll eat for me.

Oh I don't know I just want him home but I also want him to get better.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 15:07:37 PM by Harry and Katies Mum »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 14:35:54 PM »
Sorry to hear that Harry is not well  :hug: :hug:

Please remember Harry is your cat and the vet can only act under your instruction, she cannot do anything without your permission.

Afraid I dont understand some of the medical stuff but if he is stabalized and wants to escape, my humble opinion would be to bring him home. If he hates being in the cage so much he wont eat but he may at home.

Unless he is on a drip cos he is not full hydrated, get him out of there asap.

If he goes downhill at home then he can always go back but if he continunes not to eat this will kill him.

PS I would mix water with his food to stop him getting dehydrated again, start with a little and if that is Ok try a bit more
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 14:37:28 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

• Adult Cat
Moral Support Required
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 14:00:54 PM »
Hi all I haven't posted on here for ages but I desperately need moral support.  We had to take my Harry who is diabetic to the vets on Saturday as he wasn't eating and had become very lethargic.  Well the vet decided he had to stay in as he was very dehydrated.  They put him on a drip and gave him antibiotics as they suspected cystitis and possibly pancreatitis.  Vet phoned Saturday evening as Harry had managed to eat something and she hoped if he continued we'd be able to take him home on Monday.  She called again on Sunday morning and unfortunately Harry had gone down hill again.  She still suspected the above but possibly keytosis (sorry not sure if I've spelt it right) but his urine test was negative.  Anyway she called again Sunday night to say he was brighter again and he's tried to escape from his cage and if she could get him to eat she would allow him to come home today.  Spoke to her again a little while ago and although Harry is trying to escape he still isn't making much effort to eat.

I'm not sure how much longer they will let him go on like this. 

Link to CatChat