Author Topic: Wee problems  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Re: Wee problems
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 12:35:25 PM »
My two are outdoor cats and I picked up my girl had cystitis due to the fact she was going out a lot more and asking to go out of the front door (which she doesn't normally do).  I think it's just a case of being aware is they are acting out of character and as soon as I realized she was going out a lot more, I started watching her and realized something was up.  She gets reoccurring cystitis and goes straight into full blown cystitis now (although cystease is making a great job of controlling it at the moment) and now she will try to wee anywhere passing blood - inside or out if she has cystitis as it's obviously very irritating.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 13:35:03 PM »

Ben is a clever chap!

I just meant that i imagine it would be much harder to notice that there was a problem with urination at an early stage if they wee outside, from what my vet said,  by the time they are weeing in inappropriate places the problem is usually pretty advanced.

I remember with one of our outside cats (we used to let ours out before the neighbourhood went down the pan) we had no idea until she wet herself one day and we had to rush her to the vets.  It all turned out ok but because the poor little soul have been going outside to wee we didn't realise that she was suffering so much.  Her other behaviours seemed quite normal. 

Oh they are a worry aren't they?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 23:29:19 PM »
Like I said, mine have outdoor access, I still knew when Ben had his problem. That was the point I trying to make, Ben did come indoors it was like he wanted me to see he was having a problem  :) Expect Pooty would have been the same, even if he'd had outdoor access, he'd prob still have come indoors to squat on the carrier bag etc. I think they are quite clever to let us know  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 23:54:31 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 21:46:26 PM »
I guess all cats are different, but Poot did not wee anywhere he shouldn't, only sign was being in his tray and not going, then he squatted on a carrier bag ............ everything else up until that point had been completely normal, tray activity, behaviour, eating etc.  If he had outdoor access as well there's every chance I would not have know unless I'd specifically seen him doing it.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 18:54:56 PM »

Do you know I never thought about how on earth you would recognise that an outdoor cat has wee problems.

Don't quite understand why you wouldnt know, just because a cat goes outside? Mine all go outside (have indoor litter trays too) and I knew immediately when my Ben had bladder problems. In fact it was very easy to spot, as he was weeing in places around the house, despite having litter trays, and despite having outdoor access, so it was very obvious.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 17:37:45 PM »
I think its the hardest thing with animals, and probably cats in particular, that you rarely know there's any problem until its quite advanced, as they never ever show you any symptoms early on  :hug: :hug:

Poot had another big wee earlier, so hopefully he's properly on the mend now.  No idea what caused it though, which is another hurdle to try and work out  :shy:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 17:38:03 PM by clarenmax »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 15:59:08 PM »
This is why its always good to have an indoor tray even when they go outside.

Napoleon was shouting at me but not coming to me and I went to him and despite he must have been in pain he took  me upstairs to the tray and showed me he couldnt go............I took him immediately to the vets  a 15 mile drive and his bladder was full to bursting and he was very ill.

I so wish I had realized earlier although in the end it would have made no difference  :( :(

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 13:20:37 PM »

Do you know I never thought about how on earth you would recognise that an outdoor cat has wee problems.

Mine are both indoor and I do have a probably rather unhealthy obsession with their bowel and bladder habits but now I think about it that is better than not knowing until they are quite poorly, they are so good at hiding ailments aren't they?

My Cashie's pee issues seem to have settled down now, e certainly isn't overng around the litter tray and we he goes he really goes, think the special food is encourgaing him to drink more as well which is good.... but then I will probably soon start worrying that he is drinking too much and weeing too much..........

Hope Fifi and Poots are both peeing for England today!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 13:12:31 PM »
Well, no little sees now for a good few hours so hoping her bladder is now filling and going to empty properly in a big wee soon.
Been to vets and she has had a Baytril injection ( same one as yesterday) got to go back again for these for another 3 days .
Not got the bill as yet till all sorted , will be another big one though after all this . It's also a 30 mile round trip every time .

Hoping for a big wee soon !!

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
Heya hunnie, how's Fifi doing this morning?  Hope she's had a wee now, although must have gone somewhere if her bladder was not full? 

Our furkids love to worry us don't they, sending some gentle headbutts her way and hugs for you, I know exactly what you're going through  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 23:31:56 PM »
Glad he is better now although i had missed this thread !

Hope Fifi does a big wee tonight too !
I have been back and forward to the vet with her since Tuesday when she started again on Monday evening -first time for a year now -but its a nightmare i  her to get rid of it .
She had 2 long lasting injections on Tuesday evening , no better , had to go back Thursday morning , no better , went back this morning- no wees at all now for around a hour -not sure if good or bad :-:  He said her bladder was empty this morning though .
She is also back tomorrow morning -Sunday !
To date 6 injections -3 different antibitic ones, covenia (sp), steroid and pain killer (metacam ?)

Lets hope its not a drip on Moday as that is going to be done if no better !

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 22:47:14 PM »
Yay weeee way to go Poot  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 22:37:46 PM »
Well done Poot! There's nothing like a good wee when you really need one.  :innocent:

Hope things continue to look up for his peepees.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 18:43:20 PM »
So pleased all tests showed no crystals and hopefully infection will pass soon  ;D ;D

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 07:45:59 AM »
Heya hunnies, yes did loads of tests.  Did a blood test at the emergency vets which showed presence of infection, then my normal vets managed to get a urine sample somehow and checked it for crystals etc, and no sign of any forming or looking borderline.  They just said that it was uncomfortable for him to wee, so he was probably holding it in or just doing teeny bits sneakily somewhere lol!  Unfortunately my hay fever is so bad I have no sense of smell at the moment so can't tell, and John's the same  :rofl:

Blocking was my first worry so I asked them to do as many tests as they could to rule it out, as I know it can be serious.

Am so pleased my boy is an indoor cat though, as apart from the weeing, and maybe sleeping a bit more the last few days which I put down to the heat, he's been eating normally, playing etc.  I would never have known there was a problem which is quite a scary thought  :shy:

Pooty says thank you all for your best wishes, and says he's just done another wee in his tray, that's the third one now, and didn't even meow or anything so it can't have hurt yay
xxxxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 13:49:18 PM »
So pleased he has gone properly now but I would be worried that there had been crystals blocking him.

I think these can be present without the bladder being full, full equals very dangerous and can kill.

I am so wary of this now after what happened to Napoleon and would get a sample tested to be on the safe side.

Sending lots of good wishes to Poot  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 13:34:57 PM »
Wee watch is not fun lol!!!  Luckily he was much more playful and normal yesterday, so he must be feeling a bit better and abs must be working getting rid of his nasty UTI.

Have the vets definitely established its an infection? if not Might be good idea to get wee sample tested if you havent already. What food does he eat Clare? if dry, i'd get him eating wet (pref one without fillers - cereals etc). Glad to hear he's done a big wee now though!  :wow:

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 13:24:11 PM »
Sounds like crystals or other obstruction. Well done fr getting him to vet asap as I hear it can be very serious if they can't wee.

Ask your vet but when my boycat had wee problems they recommended special food for a while, Cashie had Royal Canin high dilution kibble and it seemed to really
help him.

Hope Pooty all better now.

Jo

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
Poor Poot :care: Glad he's been able to go now  :hug: Did the vet say what might have caused it or is it just one of those things?  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Wee problems
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:24:22 AM »
Heya hunnies, had a few problems with my Pootyman over the last few days!!! 

Had him up at the emergency vets on Tuesday night as he was scratching around his tray wanting to wee, but not going, and making a horrible yowling noise  :(

Luckily his bladder was not full, so jabs galore and back home again.  We took him back to our normal vet the next day as no signs of wee still, but again not a full bladder, so he must had sneaked one out somewhere I reckon  :shify:  More abs and Metacam, and told to keep an eye on him  :shify:

Wee watch is not fun lol!!!  Luckily he was much more playful and normal yesterday, so he must be feeling a bit better and abs must be working getting rid of his nasty UTI.

and this morning........... BIG WEE IN HIS TRAY YAY!!!!!!!!

so am now £270 lighter in the bank account, but that's a small price to pay to make sure my lil' man is OK!  Hopefully the insurance will cover some of that anyway, fingers crossed!!!!! 

Link to CatChat