Author Topic: Foster cat....safety issues  (Read 1764 times)

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
Re: Foster cat....safety issues
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 18:38:35 PM »
Apparently she is no longer planning on getting a companion cat, so this little one is still looking. :'(

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »
Thanks for that I have replied on the thread....fingers crossed.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 21:38:23 PM »
Ai Chan's slave was looking for a companion for her - Ai Chan is also an indoor cat as she is also a deaf white female cat so don't know if that works. Might be worth posting on their thread?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37115.0.html

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 21:21:09 PM »
So pleased to hear he has got the all clear, and agree with Helen, if they are not particularly bonded cannot see a problem in separating them.  I am sure she will find another friend at the rescue, if she so desires but would probably suit being an only cat with an older couple and not too much "comings and goings" in a house.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 20:40:44 PM »
Great stuff  :) He's a lovely boy, hope his sister can find a fab home too - it doesn't sound like they are overly bonded and if she needs a home that you cannot provide (ie completely indoor only) then sounds like it's the only option for her  :hug:

Good on you for taking them in, I dread to think what might have become of them if you hadn't  :scared:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 20:15:33 PM »
Well done  ;D ;D

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 20:08:28 PM »
Well we are back from vet and Monty is jabbed, chipped and all clear for FIV/FELV  ;D
Vet says he is closer to 6 months based on the size of his under carriage, so neutering is imperative and will be done in 3 weeks with his next jab.

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 13:39:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
Any idea how much an. FIV test is??? ( not that I wont do it on grounds of cost, just to get an idea)
I get the point about waiting for second vaccs, it is just so horrible keeping them/him cooped up separately from my others. I am going to check with the vet tonight whether he is big enough to be neutered sooner rather than later. I presume that the eye was lost after a scratch from one of his playmates but the whole story was somewhat jumbled.
I have agonised over whether it is fair to split them up and am still not decided....although they are obviously company for each other they dont seem particularly bonded, no mutual grooming or sleeping together. She seems quite content in limited space and previous owner said she never tried to get out of the flat, whereas he is desperate to get out and about to explore the world.
Any more advice or comments are welcomed as this is all new to me.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »
Firstly, just because you were told they were indoor cats, do not presume it is the case.  I was called once about a female cat that was an indoor only sole puss and she then gave birth to a litter of kittens!

I would get the boy tested for felv/fiv just for your own peace of mind.  Do you know how exactly he lost his eye.  Could have been a spat with the other cat in the house and that one was most likely unvaccinated as well,so better to be safe than sorry.

I would also keep him separate until after the second jab.  The first vaccination can sometimes bring on flu like symptoms as a side effect so I always keep them separate until a couple of weeks after the second jab, to be on the safe side.  Also, if he has access to the cat flap once he is released into the house, I would keep him from getting out until he has been neutered.  Being four months now, he is only a couple of months away from that anyway and he can be microchipped at the same time.  The last thing you want to do is go through all the introductions with the other cats for him to to go off looking for luuvv.

How close are the two of them?  Bear in mind that as the girl is deaf, she may rely heavily on her "brother" and it may be very stressful for both of them to be split up. :Luv2:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:18:56 AM »

I do have a rescue place lined up for them at Rushden Persian Rescue....although they are neither of them Persians, Patsy does seem to deal with pedigree 'type' cats. It is a couple of miles drive from me so not too bad.

The girl is stone deaf, bless her, so really needs a secure indoor home which I cannot offer as my gang have a catflap and outside access. The little boy had his eye removed about 2 weeks ago after they had been left alone for several days. Neither is neutered, they were being offered for sale on the tree site and I was worried they would end up as  breeding pair if not taken on.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:22:42 AM by paddypaws101 »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 00:52:40 AM »
Sorry no idea but just wanted to pester you for a pic of them  :evillaugh: Have you managed to find a rescue space for the girl?

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
Foster cat....safety issues
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 21:41:17 PM »
Hi,
I have been 'fostering' 2 young cats for the last week with a view to taking them into rescue early next week.
I have kept them in isolation from my own cats and have been careful with hand washing, separate food bowls and careful litter tray emptying. Although I was initially told they had both been vaccinated I have since found out that the 4 month boy has had no shots, while the 6 month girl had one back in April but not the second.
I would really like to keep the little boy but want to make sure I can do this with no risk to my own gang.
So......what tests are necessary? I used a combo flea/wormer from vet on them last week and will take the boy in for his first shot tomorrow. They were kept as indoor cats but there was one other cat also in the flat.
Presuming I take the girl to the rescue on Monday, do I need to keep the boy all on his own till he has had his second shot, or can I start introductions sooner?
Obviously I will be asking for advice from the vet tomorrow but I wanted to draw on the wisdom of those on here who have wide knowledge of rescue cases.

Link to CatChat