Author Topic: Oh No!!!! (they brought friends)  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
Re: Oh No!!!! (they brought friends)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:12:29 AM »
 :thanks: shielarose i freaked when i saw them and had a image in my head of them being everywhere like something off that grimebusters show  :rofl:
I think were all flealess now but iv ordered some of that Indorex just incase.

Jiji  :wow: i hope whatever it was he was sticking his nose into was worth the blood donation  :rofl:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 06:59:02 AM »
Fleas are a nuisance, but once you've got a routine you're happy with and can stick to, it's a breeze to keep them away permanently.  ;D

I use frontline spot-on (your fosters are too wee for that yet so stick with what the rescue recommends for now) about every six weeks during spring summer and autumn, relaxing to two monthly over winter. This is less frequent than the recommended dose but I find it works adequately for us, I hate putting chemicals on them but this is a happy compromise I've experimented with for a few years now, and these dosages work for me.

For household protection I use Indorex once a year after my spring clean on all their non-washable sleeping and play places. This breaks the fleas lifecycle by making any residents infertile, and works on any eggs already laid. The continued use of frontline keeps the live fleas at bay, so one good treatment each year is enough to keep things flea free.

Bear in mind that all my seven furbies are in/out, and apart from Chubby  :Luv2: , they all interract with neighbours cats and have the occasional Off with local foxes too, so fleas are a natural consequence of their continued freedom.

The presence of fleas is in no way a measure of your care and love - even a newly de-flead cat can go out clean and tidy and come back with several on board, depending on where he's been snoddling.

Get the hang of a simple routine and forget about the problem, 'cos it will sort itself out.

Algie came in a couple of months ago with visitors, luckily I notice within minutes and flea combed and killed about 20 of the little beggars, they were all on his head so goodness knows what he had been poking his nose into  :Crazy:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 21:57:51 PM »
Fleas are a nuisance, but once you've got a routine you're happy with and can stick to, it's a breeze to keep them away permanently.  ;D

I use frontline spot-on (your fosters are too wee for that yet so stick with what the rescue recommends for now) about every six weeks during spring summer and autumn, relaxing to two monthly over winter. This is less frequent than the recommended dose but I find it works adequately for us, I hate putting chemicals on them but this is a happy compromise I've experimented with for a few years now, and these dosages work for me.

For household protection I use Indorex once a year after my spring clean on all their non-washable sleeping and play places. This breaks the fleas lifecycle by making any residents infertile, and works on any eggs already laid. The continued use of frontline keeps the live fleas at bay, so one good treatment each year is enough to keep things flea free.

Bear in mind that all my seven furbies are in/out, and apart from Chubby  :Luv2: , they all interract with neighbours cats and have the occasional Off with local foxes too, so fleas are a natural consequence of their continued freedom.

The presence of fleas is in no way a measure of your care and love - even a newly de-flead cat can go out clean and tidy and come back with several on board, depending on where he's been snoddling.

Get the hang of a simple routine and forget about the problem, 'cos it will sort itself out.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 23:32:11 PM »
We are all learning all the time  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 23:29:16 PM »
There fur is stiff so thats good, i thought that had something to do with beng strays  :rofl: god i have a lot to learn, god job im in right place  :rofl:
 :thanks: gill

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 23:21:44 PM »
Probably Stronghold cos it kills them as soon as they touch the fur, I suspect the rest of the furrbies will be Ok but would be easier to keep them seperated for 24 hrs.

You should be able to tell cos they will either have been sprayed and there fore their fur will be stiff with it or the tell tale stiff bit on back of necks.........do not brush or comb them for 24 hrs

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Oh No!!!! (they brought friends)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 23:14:22 PM »
The foster lady before me has de-flead them today im not sure what she used and i can see dead ones falling off them, there is one floating in the water dish  :sick: i dont want to touch it lol, but do you think i should de-flea the rest of the furbabies, im itchy but i think thats prob cos im thinking about it, like when someone mentions nits and your head is suddenly itchy  ;D

They were last deflead erm about 10 weeks ago, i dont really usually do it more than once every six month or so unless i see them

Link to CatChat