Author Topic: my cat is more like a dog  (Read 1790 times)

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
  • Slave to: Davey & Tinker
Re: my cat is more like a dog
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
Glad Tinks aint the only one lol. She's quite good with wires - never touches them. I have to be careful with string and have to put her toys that have string on away when I'm not around otherwise she'd choke herself.

She doesn't fetch, but she'll grab a toy (or anything really) in her mouth and run away with it before you can get it off her. I find things dumped in strange places when I'm tidying up. Every morning, without fail, I will usually find something in the dining room that belongs somewhere else... ie earrings, bobbles, a full pack of bodyform ripped the shreds, the bathroom sink plug. She's murder! She knows she shouldnt get these things, so she just grabs it quick with her mouth, runs off and hides things so I can't find them.

She likes soft things in packets - bread is a good example... she doesn't like the taste of bread but she loves ripping it to pieces. Same with toilet roll when they are in the packet, and as mentioned bodyform when they are in their packet too, packs of cotton pads... all kinds. She isn't  even put off by citrus fruit juices - Davey's terrified of pure lemon or orange juice, anything citrus-y!

They are mad little ratbags arent they? I guess Tinks is just a cheeky one haha. I wonder if it doesn't help that she's not be 'done' but I don't know if I want that. I might mention it to the vet and see what they think - they'll see millions of kittens Tinks' age and will know if its common I guess.
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »
Another cat-dog here!

Riley will try to eat/investigate most things. He knows he is not allowed to chew things so he goes for a gentler 'nibble' - but only when I'm not there as he knows he'd get told off. My phone charger and laptop charger both have little teeth marks in  :innocent:

Does Tinks play fetch? Riley will fetch his da mouse (off lead) over and over again  :Luv:

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
I have the opposite problem, I'm sure my dog thinks he is a cat lol!

My two ex-feral kittens are about the same age as Tinks and do tend to get hold of things the shouldmt, then eat or chew them. We just have to be careful not to leave anything around (tissue, chargers, hair ties etc etc). I think its just part of being inquisitive kittens :) 
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
probably just being nosey, one of mine will put anything in her mouth but doesn't eat it, just wants to see what it is I think

there is a proper conditionn called pica which is eating odd things which your vet would know about

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 22:47:09 PM »
Sounds a bit worrying but sorry havent come across this before  :hug: :hug:

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
  • Slave to: Davey & Tinker
my cat is more like a dog
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 22:24:34 PM »
Hello guys and gals!

Just a niggle really, any advice appreciated.

Tinks (she's 11 months old now) happily eats her kitten food and biscuits, treats, drinks her cat milk and drinks water that is only coming out of the tap (not from a bowl).

But she'll also eat anything else she can fit in her mouth.. within reason.
The other day I noticed she went over to a tiny little ball of fluff, about same size as a sesame seed. She sniffed it then ate it.

Then I heard this weird noise and when I finally realised it was coming from Tinks, I had to corner her so I could see what was stuck in her mouth - it was one of those small round stickers from the bottom of a pair of new shoes... it had got stuck underneath her tongue.

This is something she's done all the time I've had her (since she was 8 weeks old) and as I say, it's within 'reason' - she doesn't eat stones or things that she cant chew like bits of cat litter etc.

Just wondering though, is this common or is this some indicator of an underlying issue? Never had it before with any other cats so it's a new one on me. Shes like a dog. I am just worried about her eating something that she cant digest or that makes her ill. My house is pretty much clean and tidy all the time and I hoover once a day every day, so it's not often she comes across bits and bobs. As I say she's eating and drinking well, uses her litter tray for bladder and bowel movements regularly and is your every day average kitten otherwise.

Any thoughts?
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Link to CatChat