Author Topic: Introducing new kittens  (Read 1958 times)

Offline CatMad JoJo

• Adult Cat
  • Cats are like cookies... you can't just have one!
  • Slave to: (Gorgeous) George, (Kerazy) Maisie, Pandora (the Persistent) & Dexter (the Destroyer!)
Re: Introducing new kittens
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 23:19:59 PM »
Thanks for the update...  :(

So sorry that you had difficulties, but as you say your own babies have to come first.  It must be difficult when you want to foster but already have resident cats, especially when the centre has soooo many kittens to find a home for!   :(  It's just a pity we can't explain this to them!   :) 

I often wish I could foster lots of different kittens, they are far better off in a home than a pen but it IS difficult and my only experience, which was a long time ago, was very brief and ended in exactly the same way as yours did!  This time I'm hoping fervently that I shall be successful ~ our 2 are only young still and I shall be cautious and try hard to be patient!!  :scared: 

Wishing you all the very best ~ and hoping your two resident cats settle down again quickly.   :Luv2: :Luv2: 

:)

"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." – Unknown
CatMad JoJo  ♥☆ღღ☆♥

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 23:06:02 PM »
I unfortunately had to let my kittens go to another fosterer as my original two really hated them. They were hiding away and really unhappy. The new two who were litter trained before I had them were going to the toilet on the floor and in their beds. If I was offering them  :(a permanent home I'd have tried much harder to get them settled but it seemed silly to put them all through so much stress just for a few weeks as hopefully they will find a new home soon.

I've decided to keep my original two as it's pretty unlikely they will find homes, the centre has 50 kittens at the moment.   

Offline CatMad JoJo

• Adult Cat
  • Cats are like cookies... you can't just have one!
  • Slave to: (Gorgeous) George, (Kerazy) Maisie, Pandora (the Persistent) & Dexter (the Destroyer!)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 21:46:08 PM »
Hi there,

I don't know if I'm a little late with this reply but I've not long  been a member of Purrs...  :shy:

I will be introducing a new kitten soon  :scared: who is ready late September so was thinking about posting a question along similar lines!  To try and prepare I've read a few books by Vicky Halls who is a self-professed "cat counsellor". 

Her book on "Cat vs Cat" touches on the introduction of new kittens/cats to resident cats, although it sounds like you have hands really full with lots of introductions to do!!  She uses scent exchange and suggests that you cut down on the amount of senses that you allow your residents to have regarding the newbies ie not allowing them to see or hear them, just smell them to start with (although I can imagine that this would be tricky with so many to introduce to each other).  To do this she uses what she calls the "sock exchange", taking a sock to stroke the kitten with, and one to stroke each resident cat with.  THEN exchange the scents by either allowing the cats to smell each other or by placing the scented socks in the other cats bed.  If your residents don't hiss or brush up then you can move to the next step, which is then allowing them to sniff under a door or through a cage etc, which is sounds as if you are already doing.  The book recommends that you then start giving your cats a treat or food near to each other and then gradually move the bowls closer, treating and praising non-confrontational behaviour and not reacting too much to disagreements.  She advises to have a cushion handy to insert between the teeth and flailing claws etc! 

I won't go on loads more unless you message and ask as it's probably stuff you already know!!!!!   :shy:

I would, however, be very interested in an update on how you have managed this last week as I was going to post a sort of similar question regarding introductions!!  I hope that things are more harmonious now?  I really would be interested to hear your news...

:hug:

"Cat said, 'I am not a friend, and I am not a Servant. I am the Cat who walks by himself, and I wish to come into your Cave.'" - Rudyard Kipling, from the "Just-So Stories"

CatMad JoJo  ♥☆ღღ☆♥

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 13:34:13 PM »
We are currently settling in 14 week old Boris with our lot.  I specially want him and 13 month old Groucho to get on.  Groucho is growling a fair bit but I am ignoring it, keeping an eagle eye and playing with them both in same room together. 

I would have thought play sessions after a day or so settling in time for the newbies would be the way to go.  Kittens are usually easily distracted  :innocent:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:36:30 AM »
Hi Angie

Fun isn't it? I've never introduced kittens before and fostering is new to me. I thought they would all just muck in together and that doesn't seem to be the case. Although to be fair I only got them yesterday afternoon.   

I've got the new kittens in a kitten cage now and am letting the other run free as usual. I'm getting the new ones out two or three times a day to play and locking the older two out of the room. Do you think this is the right way to do it? I think the problem might be my original kittens are quite a bit older and don't like new cats in their territory. They had a new kitten introduced when they were about 5 weeks and they were fine with him and were all playing within a couple of minutes.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 22:20:40 PM »
 :rofl:

going through it at the moment. I'm just ignoring it and playing with them......

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
Introducing new kittens
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 22:16:02 PM »
Hi

I've got two 14 week old foster kittens and I've just been given two more 9 week old kittens. They are hissing at each other at the moment, my original two have only been separated from their Mother and sister for a week so are still a little unsettled. They are not happy with the new arrivals. Anyone been in this situation? If so how is the best way to handle it?   

Link to CatChat