Author Topic: New kitten - a couple of questions  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: New kitten - a couple of questions
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 11:20:40 AM »
Thanks Sam, I'll get some cat milk for them today for a treat.   

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 15:39:05 PM »
I've got a couple of foster kittens their Mum and sister went to their new home on Monday. They were both a bit groggy after their first jab for a couple of days they now seem ok. I'm a bit concerned as they keep meowing. They purr and we cuddle them but they meow as well. It's so sad. I think they maybe looking for their Mum and missing their family. I was wondering about giving them some cat milk. There Mum was still feeding them even though they are 14 weeks. Anyone any ideas. I wonder if it's because they have now have turned their attention onto us as they seem friendlier. It's just the meowing that's worrying.   

I expect they are meowing because they are missing their Mum and sister.  They will be fine.  As long as they are fully weened then they shouldn't need cat milk but (if like me) you want to give them a bit of a treat then a bit of cat milk at bedtime won't do any harm.  I dilute it down a bit with warm water and all my lot love it.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 09:55:06 AM »
I've got a couple of foster kittens their Mum and sister went to their new home on Monday. They were both a bit groggy after their first jab for a couple of days they now seem ok. I'm a bit concerned as they keep meowing. They purr and we cuddle them but they meow as well. It's so sad. I think they maybe looking for their Mum and missing their family. I was wondering about giving them some cat milk. There Mum was still feeding them even though they are 14 weeks. Anyone any ideas. I wonder if it's because they have now have turned their attention onto us as they seem friendlier. It's just the meowing that's worrying.   

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 14:42:56 PM »
Not sure how long the feliway takes to kick-in but it looks like Crunchine and Pickle are putting up with each other at least.  Pickle is lovely BTW .... I love gingers.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 14:29:01 PM »
looks like things are going very well to me!

Offline cliveb

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 14:26:55 PM »
A feliway diffuser might be the answer to help chill out Pickle
Yes, I thought that so ordered one on Monday - it arrived today and is plugged in now. Any idea how long before it might start having an effect?

Anyhow, it looks like things are beginning to improve. Crunchie arrived in the house on Sunday evening and the attached picture shows the latest progress as of Weds morning. Not actually friends yet, but Pickle is clearly beginning to tolerate Crunchie.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 14:27:33 PM by cliveb »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
A feliway diffuser might be the answer to help chill out Pickle

Offline cliveb

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 14:25:52 PM »
I just wanted to thank everyone who has replied with their advice.

I now have no fears at all about Crunchie - he is already running about the place with no apparent inhibitions at all. Our problem now is poor Pickle.

Make Pickle feel important,give him plenty of attention and cuddles on his own.
Unfortunately Pickle has never let us cuddle him. He likes to be near us but isn't interested in physical contact, other than a nice chin-tickle some mornings. He will put up with short periods of stroking, but soon tires of it and warns us off with a threat to bite. We just don't want him to withdraw further.

I guess only time will tell whether these two will get on.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 00:13:15 AM »
Sorry no idea about introductions as have always adopted in pairs but just wanted to say Crunchie is :drool; I guess you already know that though!  :Luv2:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 22:43:12 PM »
Make Pickle feel important,give him plenty of attention and cuddles on his own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 21:44:55 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Crunchie is gorgeous.

The following links may be of interest / use to a new kitten owner  ;)

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4789.0.html

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4790.0.html

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 17:49:12 PM »
Hi,

It is perfectly normal for the original cat to feel a bit put out and hissing and a few swipes are exactly what I would expect.

Your new kitten needs to be neutered at about 5/6mths old...... before the  testosterone starts to work so you stop the problems before they begin (no 6wks to wait for).

I'm sure these 2 will be friends before long

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 15:14:06 PM »
Congrats on your new addition

Kittens want to be close to you and will mew and make noises to keep your attention, my current 2 former feral kittens are currently howling up a storm as Mummy has put them back with the house cats - they are 12 weeks ish and former ferals called Kali and Sherbert

Point 2 spend a lot of time with Pickle and make him kingpin, feed him first speak to him first so he knows he is first in your life, shut Crunchie away so Pickle can see he is still first

Also get a Feliway plug in and use it it is happy hormones for cats, also catnip is a wonderful tool for introductions

Good luck with everything but always make sure Pickle comes first till they have established the heirachy - I have several bakers dozens of cats and am used to doing introductions and ensuring everyone knows their place

There is also a drug called Zylkene which may help with Pickle it takes the edge of nervous cats I use it on my ferals when they are first trapped = it is sprinkled on to wet food, it is non addictive and has no side effects

Spend time alone with both of them giving treats and swap scents from a blanket they can sit on whilst getting one to one parent attention

My mob have had 2 kittens and an 8kg rescue ragdoll Caspurr introduced in the last 3 weeks and we have had boundaries set by the Alpha Male and female and have used all of the above techniques with success

Still my mob also got used to puppy number 3 about 7 weeks before we trapped the feral kittens and some are preferring the kittens to the dogs but the ferals love the dogs, time and a lot of Patience are also good tips
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 15:08:35 PM »
Pickle will feel that an intruder has violated his home and you need to give hime loads of fuss and attention and Crunchie will be too boistress for him I think..............afraid I am also trying to introduce a 1yr old cat to my 3 and failing miserabley, so not in a position to give advice..................sigh

I am sure that Crunchie is trying to tell you something but not being proficiant in cat, afraid cant help LOL

He sounds like he is fine and maybe moaning that Pickle wont play with him or is hissing!

I assume that Crunchie is not yet neutered, and things will be easier maybe after that, although could take 6 weeks after.

Lupin was neutered 3 weeka ago and has made no difference at all.......sigh

Offline cliveb

• Kitten
New kitten - a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 14:59:49 PM »
Yesterday we got a new kitten. Crunchie is a 12 week old ginger/white boy. He seems to have settled in amazingly quickly - very active and inquisitive, very friendly. However, this is the first time I've ever had a kitten and have a couple of questions:

1. When he's playing or resting he seems completely happy. But when he is simply awake and alert, and wanting to be cuddled/fussed, he constantly makes little meows while purring at the same time. It almost sounds as if he's distressed about something, although in every other way he just seems like a happy kitty. Is this normal? Might it simply be that he's missing his mum and/or litter mates?

2. Our existing cat Pickle (4 year old ginger neutered male) seems to be very put out. Having never introduced a kitten to an established cat before, I don't know what to expect. He hasn't attacked Crunchie but has hissed at him a few times and has taken to moping around and distancing himself from us. He seems a bit depressed, if that's possible for a cat. Pickle has always been highly strung and a little bit aloof at times, and we got Crunchie partly in the hope it would bring Pickle out of his shell. I realise it's early days yet, but is it normal for the encumbent cat to respond is this way to a new kitten?

Link to CatChat