Author Topic: Struvite Crystals  (Read 1229 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Struvite Crystals
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
Thats brilliant, it's such a worry when you have to leave them, and great that you have such wonderful neighbours, and a big telly :rofl: :rofl::hug: :hug:

Have a good week and do please let us know how he is when you get back?

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
Hi and thank you for all your answers.  Rajah peed his first "normal" colour pee yesterday and then last night it was bloody again.  I had him at the vet this morning, who examined him and said that his bladder is evacuating properly and he is ok.  He must carry on with his diet, which he has started to nibble at, and this should sort him.  I have given the neighbours (who we are actually very good friends with and they are very fond of the cat) instructions and the vet's phone number, just in case.  I feel a little more easy about leaving him now.  The last time we left the cat with the neighbours, they spent more time at our place than at theirs.  I don't know if it's because we have a wide-screen tv with sky plus hd or whether they just really like the cat.  :)
Pam

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 21:18:49 PM »
I was feeling the same way as Gill, you need to make sure the neighbours are fully boned up on the condition and what to look for in case he blocks up.

If this happens he will need emergency vet help so they will need your carrier and contact details for your vet, a lot to ask of casual neighbours. Are you sure a professional cat sitter wouldn't be more reliable? Even then, you would need to be sure they knew what they were looking for - not easy even with two visits a day.

I know it's late notice as you're away tomorrow, but it might be worth popping him back to the vet for a quick check over before you leave. The prospect of an untreated blockage is not to be contemplated.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 17:02:20 PM »
I would be worried about the possibility of the problem recurring while you are away - I expect you are aware it is an emergency if the cystitis gets any worse and he suffers a bladder blockage? How often are your neighbours going in to him? or are they looking after him at their house? Do they know what to look out for if he were to have a blockage?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 00:13:29 AM »
Although cats should have a survival instinct built in , often it doesnt seem to work, so no you must get him eating cos if they dont eat they will kill themselves.

I hope you can get some food that he will eat before you go away..............cats do pick there moments!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 23:39:35 PM »
My Tufty is going through this now as well  :( - he hates wet food so my vet has given us Hills SD which is the dissolution formula in a dry kibble.

Tufty loves it, it has a thirst enhancer in it which helps them flush through the crystals, expect to have all your cats munching happily away on it as well - seems irresistable!

Pop some newspapers around so he's not trying to pee in the litter tray all the time, it's painful and may cause him to hate his tray in the future.

Tufty's wee is almost back to normal after two weeks on the SD diet - vet wants him to stay on it for 6 more weeks, then coming down to CD for a while afterwards.

You can get Hills SD on-line from VETUK, if your vet doesn't stock it - no you don't have to be a vet or have a prescription for it.  :hug:

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
Struvite Crystals
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 23:18:27 PM »
Rajah I noticed was peeing blood on Saturday.  I only noticed because he had dripped a bit on the outside rim of the litter tray.  The vet was just about to close so I couldn't take him in immediately, but got an appointment for first thing on Monday.  Managed to get a pee sample and the result of that is struvite crystals - loads of them.  The vet gave him an antibiotic injection and 15ml of metacam as well as a change of diet - Purina UR wet food which he is not really taking too, having been fed on Tesco's meat in jelly for the past 2 years.  We are going away on Friday for a week and Rajah is being cared for by neighbours and I am really worried that he won't eat anything while we are away.  Fortunately, there are no bacteria in his pee for which I am really grateful, but am still concerned about leaving him.  Should i just relaxand hope that if he gets hungry enough he'll eat it eventually.
Pam

Link to CatChat