Author Topic: Frontline V Frontline combo  (Read 4682 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Frontline V Frontline combo
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 16:41:58 PM »
Blimey well done Edd.  :good post:

You a professional researcher? Peeps get well paid for this sort of thing.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 15:33:49 PM »
Am sure there is a way to get all the products listed by type from Noah's compendium but have not worked out how to do that  :innocent:

Think this could be it  :wow:
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Therapeutic_Indication/Therapeutic_Indication/-76.html

Can't take any credit though - someone on CC did it for flea and worm treatments.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 15:13:33 PM »
Don't know if this helps but here goes.

I have tried Effipro (my vets switched to it for a time) it contains the same active ingredient as Frontline Spot on - Fipronil. 
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Virbac_Limited/Effipro_Spot-On_Solution_for_Cats/-50382.html
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Merial_Animal_Health_Ltd/Frontline_Spot_On_Cat_10_ACU-_w_v_Spot_On_Solution/-31475.html

Frontline Combo contains fipronil for the fleas as well but contains other ingredients to kill the eggs etc
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Merial_Animal_Health_Ltd/Frontline_Combo_Spot-On_Cat/-31455.html

If you wanted to access more info the link will display a menu on the left e.g. uses  etc.

I have tried Stronghold as well (or the cats has and then there is Advantage ..................
Am sure there is a way to get all the products listed by type from Noah's compendium but have not worked out how to do that  :innocent:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 14:23:44 PM »
Never tried Effipro, but my supplier (VetUK) stocks it so I may give it a go next time around (I'm fully stocked up with FL at the mo).

It would be helpful to know what the active ingredient is in these various brands - then one could compare prices from an educated POV.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »
OK, I'm throwing one in - Effipro. Any good?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline BeauBengal

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Beau,Minnie,Puss,Sukari
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 00:15:43 AM »
Try (Bayer) Advantage same as Advocate minus the Wormer ingredient, i have found that to be much more effective ...looks like  i am not the only one to have probs with frontline...bought mine from medicanimal...see my post in http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38015.0.html  - now without prescription  at http://www.medicines4pets.co.uk/shop/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=Advantage..- comes in under 4 kg & over 4kg packs good price used in the past & now again ...paid 15.50 for 2 Advocate's from the vets on saturday (did not have the Advantage in stock)....hope that helps really really must go to Zzzzzzzzz  :tired: :tired: Match sticks will ne needed early today ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 20:22:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies -

Lesley, I have also had clients saying that the original Frontline isn't working as well anymore. And I have a cat in at the moment who has fleas (well had hehe) but his owners are adamant that they flea him each month with FL

Sheila, So it also makes the fleas infertile so I spose that is what they meant by working in the environment ?!
I'd never risk buying the products from anywhere other than my vet or trusted website

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 14:19:18 PM »

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 13:57:19 PM »
I know alot of our customers have found that the normal frontline is not working as effectively as previously.  Frontline combo is prescription only and seems to still be doing the job.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:51:18 AM »
Excerpt from my suppliers site:

•Frontline Spot On◦This contains one ingredient.
◦It coats the skin and hair after being applied and kills off fleas.
◦It persists on the coat even if the animal swims or is shampooed, as long as there is at least a 24 hour gap before and after applying the Frontline.

•Frontline Combo (Prescription required)◦This contains 2 ingredients.
◦The first one is exactly the same as in normal Spot-on.
◦The second one also coats the skin and coat, but does not kill fleas at all. Instead it sterilises fleas, so that they cannot breed.
◦The idea of it is that it persists longer on the coat than the killing ingredient.
◦Hence if people do not re-apply the frontline as often as they should, then the killing ingredient will no longer be effective (especially on animals at the top of the weight range of the product used). The other ingredient works for about twice as long as the main ingredient. The idea behind this is that if fleas cannot breed, you only get very small numbers of them and they are unlikely to be noticed or do any harm.

Personally I find the ordinary frontline is very effective, and we haven't had an outbreak since I started using it around 7 years ago.  :)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Frontline V Frontline combo
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »
Ok so what is the difference ?

Someone (same person who said FIV can be caught by sharing food bowls  *ahem*)  said that the combo controls the fleas in the environment but I can't find anything about this

Link to CatChat