Author Topic: Vaccinations!  (Read 1471 times)

Offline FellasMommy

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Fella
Re: Vaccinations!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 13:28:39 PM »
He is very young  :( I feel bad for having him, but the woman just wanted rid, so I am glad I do have him as I dont like to think where he could have ended up. I think his behaviour does reflect this at times as he is very bitey and scratchy, but I am very patient and tolerable of it because I know he isnt being aggressive, he just doesnt know any better. Where would I find the information on teaching him manners and kitten behaviour?

When he is sleepy, he is very loving and affectionate, he cuddles up and licks , he really likes to nuzzle into my neck and sleep on my chest, but when he is wide awake he does play with his many toys but gets easily distracted by toes, hands, fingers and wrists which he loves to bite and scratch.

We totally love him to bits, but we do want to help him with this behaviour. :)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 13:11:41 PM »
Our vet is doing chips for £15 at the moment. This comes with 4 weeks free petplan insurance which has actually been of immense use to me recently (albeit you need to sign up the cat for permanent cover if you use it).

Your Fella is very young to be away from his Mum, so you'll have your work cut out keeping him entertained and teaching him manners (his Mum would normally do this for up to about twelve weeks before she got fed up with him). As a result Fella may tend to bite and scratch more than kittens who have had the full 12 weeks Mummy time, he just hasn't had the training.

Read up on kitten behaviour on this site, and how to teach him his manners. Then you'll better understand his behaviour if and when it starts to emerge.

If all else fails - get a second kitten - there really are huge benefits for you and Fella in having a playmate of a similar age! Plenty of kittens on this site too in need of good homes.  :innocent:

Offline FellasMommy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »
Thanks, I thought it would be right as the vets I have registered him with has a very good reputation in my area. I definately want him microchipped, they do that for £25, but I will ask if they do a kitten package :) Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I will probably ask many more basic questions, but I would rather ask and get things right, for Fellas welfare  :shy:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
£65 is about what I pay, ask about getting her microchipped at the same time then you won't have to worry too much about her when she does go out (our vet is doing a special on chips  - half price, so shop around!)

Some vets do kitten packages that save money overall (spey/chip/vaccination combo) and even if yours doesn't advertise this it might be worth asking!

Keep asking them questions though, no matter how silly you think they are, someone else reading the post will want to know the answers as well but hasn't has the gumption to ask, so keep 'em coming.  ;D

Offline FellasMommy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 11:04:17 AM »
 :thanks: Thought so, she told me it would be £65 for both lots at 8 weeks and 12 weeks, is that about right?

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
deffo

Offline FellasMommy

• Adult Cat
Vaccinations!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 10:00:46 AM »
Hi all,
Just a quick and probably silly question, but because I have no experience with kittens under the age of 12 weeks and Fella is only 6 weeks, I knew I had to get him in for his vaccinations. He is booked in on the 26th July as he will be 8 weeks on that day, he is eventually going to be outdoor, so does he need the jabs that include the leukemia jab?

Link to CatChat