Author Topic: HELP!! Potty training!!  (Read 1402 times)

Offline misshx

• Adult Cat
Re: HELP!! Potty training!!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 18:10:39 PM »
Ralphy is 11 weeks tomorrow and is still not using his tray all the time. Is this normal?

He does use it sometimes but other time he will go in other corners - For example today he randomly went on the sofa (never done that before)

Help :(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 10:51:11 AM »
It's a common problem...  :hug:

1. Pick up his droppings with a tissue and put them in the tray so he can smell them.

2. Make sure his tray/s is somewhere private like a corner where he won't be disturbed - don't put trays in a busy place like a hallway.

3. Don't change the litter too often at first. Leave it a day or so until it starts to burn into his memory. He needs to smell it and will twig that's the correct place to go. When you change the litter the smell goes and he'll have to learn all over again.

4. Make sure it's not hard for him to find a tray. Babies don't realise they need to go until just before it's too late. If he can see and smell a tray he'll go there - if the tray is in the next room he won't make it that far and just go in some place else.  :innocent:

All kittens forget these things at first.  :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 23:22:17 PM »
My boyfriend would never harm him it's just he doesn't see things the same.

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that your BF would hurt Ralphy, just that he might shout at him.  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 23:16:31 PM »
If he is in the hall make sure he has a nice snuggly bed (or a box) to sleep in with an old jumper or a nice fluffy towel (cats love towels) and I'm sure he will soon settle down to sleep.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline misshx

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 22:54:52 PM »
My boyfriend would never harm him it's just he doesn't see things the same.

He can't understand why he won't go in his litter tray.

I have put him in the hallway tonight so he has hall stairs and landing but he is now scratching and meowing at my door and with my boyfriend working earlies it's really not helping matters lol

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 22:46:53 PM »
Forgot to say he is absolutely gorgeous.  :Luv2:

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 22:46:13 PM »
Don't panic.  :hug:

When he was with his mum she would show him where to go and if got it wrong on occasions she would be there to put him right.  You must do the same.  As Sheryl has said he's only a baby and he's only been with you for a few days.  He probably lived in quite a confined area when he was with his mum. and its quite likely that he's still confused as to where his tray is, especially if he has free run of the whole house.  If you think he is about to go somewhere he shouldn't, pick him up gently and put him in his tray.  If you are too late and he is already going or has 'been' then put his deposit in the tray (if you can) and show him that you have put it there. 
Whatever you do, do not punish him (I'm sure you wouldn't but maybe your BF might?)  He wont know why he is being punished and that could be the start of real problems.  Just show him what is expected of him and he will learn.  It might be an idea to confine him to the one room where the tray is until he gets the hang of things.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 21:23:37 PM »
He is only a baby at the moment and it shouldnt be too hard to show him where to "go" - when he has had a sleep pick him up and gently put him in the tray, when he has performed give him lots of praise.  Also when he starts roaming I would pop him in the tray - his little life has changed totally and everything is new to him and Im sure he will learn x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline misshx

• Adult Cat
HELP!! Potty training!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 20:22:59 PM »
Hello everyone!

I picked up my new kitten on Saturday (Ralphy - 8 weeks old) and I am having so much trouble trying to potty train him!

He was fully litter trained before he come to my house but now he is home he just goes in the litter tray when he wants?!

I am using the same litter as he had when he was with his mum and I have put all litter trays in quiet areas - He has been fine all day, but just now he has decided to go behind the sofa. Could someone tell me why? Why would he only use the litter tray sometimes?

There is only me and my boyfriend in the house so it's no as if he will be disturbed at all.

Just getting worried because my boyfriend really isn't a pet person and he only agreed on getting the kitten because he was house trained :(

Link to CatChat