Author Topic: Home with my new kittens from rescue but need advise  (Read 1834 times)

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
Re: Home with my new kittens from rescue but need advise
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 18:18:20 PM »
our older kitten was very shy at first and hid for a few days only coming out for food etc but was tempted in as mentioned by the dangly toys. she then took to following me everywhere and meowing if i closed a door so she still comes to watch me in bath shower etc :Crazy:
Mr Miyagi was however totally different, a cuddly furrball who spent two nights asleep on my head clinging to my hair  :innocent:till i thought i am going to have to let him do this for life or put him in his basket, he soon settled in , Georgia accepted him and now they curl up together and are both fine with us and secure in the house x

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 13:09:48 PM »
Our kittens were like that when we brought them home. I think playing was the key to their hearts and the mouse on a string was the best thing ever. Keep tempting them with toys and I'm sure they will soon be very friendly. It's amazing the first time they come and sit on your knee or give you a head butt  :Luv:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »
Also when spending time in their space try sitting on the floor, upright humans can be quite scarey

having tamed 2 feral kittens in the last fortnight they spent the first 4 days hissing and being spitty now they are running around like hooligans and winding up our 3 dogs - we have an awful lot of cats so have cat savy dogs and a puppy in training

Also a scratching post with levels brings them up tou your height ours like to eat high to
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »
Time and patience. ;) People are right, new surroundings can make cats uneasy. These little ones just need settling in time. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »
I would echo what Philip has said, but as it has been several hours since your post the situation could have changed now they have had a little time to settle. Don't worry if things are pretty much the same though as it just takes some longer than others and there are lots more things that can be done to help  :)

Offline lostsouls65

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Missy
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 23:01:50 PM »
Thanks for all the sound advise  :thanks:

I really adore the little chaps, so cute and yes photos will follow once they become more friendly and less scared. I dont want to scare them with flash photography  :briggin:

I will buy  feliway diffuser as soon as possible. preparing their dinner now. They have a basket from Pets at Home which gives them enough space to hide and feel secure.

I can not wait for them to feel at home and pester  me wherever I go in the house  :Luv2:

Thanks a million for the sound advise

I wouldn't worry.

They are in a new environment with new smells/sounds and it's probably a little scary for them. The hissing is a sign of insecurity.

Just give them a little time to settle. When you approach them try and make yourself small. When looking them in the eyes, slowly blink and look away. Pretend to yawn (These are signs to cats that you mean no harm). There is some evidence that cats respond better to higher pitched voices.

When they realise you are the provider of food and treats they will start to come round. Just make sure at the moment they they have a safe place that they can bolt to if they feel insecure. Maybe leave the carrier you brought them home in on the floor with the door left open near where they are at the moment. 

I am sure with a little love and patience, they will warm to you soon enough.

Oh...and pictures are a must......

You could try a feliway diffuser (contains cat pheromones that help calm cats). It plugs into an electric socket and acts like a diffuser.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 22:44:56 PM »
I wouldn't worry.

They are in a new environment with new smells/sounds and it's probably a little scary for them. The hissing is a sign of insecurity.

Just give them a little time to settle. When you approach them try and make yourself small. When looking them in the eyes, slowly blink and look away. Pretend to yawn (These are signs to cats that you mean no harm). There is some evidence that cats respond better to higher pitched voices.

When they realise you are the provider of food and treats they will start to come round. Just make sure at the moment they they have a safe place that they can bolt to if they feel insecure. Maybe leave the carrier you brought them home in on the floor with the door left open near where they are at the moment. 

I am sure with a little love and patience, they will warm to you soon enough.

Oh...and pictures are a must......

You could try a feliway diffuser (contains cat pheromones that help calm cats). It plugs into an electric socket and acts like a diffuser.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 22:45:43 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline lostsouls65

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Missy
Home with my new kittens from rescue but need advise
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 22:34:00 PM »
I have finally got the kittens, just arrived home with them, adorable little things.

I have a question? they are very shy, not friendly and hiding away. One of them; Coco is hissing alot when we enter the room.

Any advise guys?

Does this get better?

Thanks for your support

Link to CatChat