Author Topic: Fish and cystitis  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Fish and cystitis
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 15:56:44 PM »
None of mine like prawns, even Kocka didnt but I suspect that a certain Lupin may LOL.

However thay all eat fish flavoured food, even Lupin!

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 20:18:32 PM »
Archie used to have some prawns every day as a treat. I have noticed since I stopped this he does not get attacks of cystitus any more.May be a coincidence :shify:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:36:15 PM »
I didn't think it could really but it just seemed really odd!  I wonder what caused it.  Poor lad.  The problem with Jaffa when he has cystitis is that if it's stress induced, the last thing I want to do is take him to the vet which stresses him out big time.  He is fine now though and weeing normally and seems perfectly normal in every other way.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
I think it's just a coincidence, I really don't think it could cause cystitis that quickly (if at all) and especially given that he had such a small amount.

Glad he seems to be over it now though  :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Fish and cystitis
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
I know fishy foods aren't great for cats prone to cystitis or urinary issues in general and Jaffa rarely gets fishy foods (except for fish flavoured felix which, lets face it, will contain very little fish!).  However, last night I gave him some feline fayre pilchards in jelly.  He ate it all and 2 hours later he was sick.  Then he started visiting the litter tray every 10 minutes and producing tiny amounts of wee.  The last time he had cystitis was about 18 months ago and when he's been to the vet about it we've agreed it's idiopathic and probably stress induced.  Anyway, he didn't seem as uncomfortable with it as he has in the past, ie he was lying down looking comfortable between visits to the tray.  So I found some old metacam and put about a quarter of a teaspoon in his food bowl with a little chicken and he ate that and licked the bowl.  He almost immediately stopped going to the tray as often and everything is back to normal now.  He is fine and ate his supper ok (no vomiting) and his breakfast this morning.  I don't know whether it was the old metacam or not as I believe this sort of cystitis will sort itself out in the end. 

Anyway, I digress - do you think the pilchards were to blame or is that a red herring (pun intended :)).  Could some fish have such an immediate and sudden effect?  I used to give him cystease but stopped when I ran out about 8 months ago (will start again).

Link to CatChat