Author Topic: Worming question. HELP!  (Read 3894 times)

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
Re: Worming question. HELP!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 22:40:22 PM »
Thank God you thought to query it and that Edd picked up on the name difference  :hairrasin:

On a separate note, can't believe those little babies that we have seen growing up on Purrs are old enough to be neutered, doesn't time fly! Are they still foster cats or have they weedled their way in?  :naughty:

It depends who is asking  :rofl: Yes these are the two remaining boys from when Socks gave birth 'live on Purrs' back in January! They have well and truly weedled their way in, luckily the CPL co-ordinator seems far too busy to send us any potential owners and I have stopped asking!
I suspect there will be great resistance should anyone show any interest!
They have grown into lovely boys, and I would love to keep them (in fact the whole extended family would), but then I would love to continue fostering also..............
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 20:47:46 PM »
Can I just say I deleted ,my post as some seem to take offense to what I posted and made some comments personal so we won't be posting for a while as every time we do somebody takes offense

Also if you have a multi household it is recommended to keep boosters, worming and flea prevention up to date as recommended by most vets
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 16:52:52 PM »
On a side note we have been using Program for nearly 15 years with no side effects in any cat or dog Gill and for the hard to handle and very feral makes like a lot easier when only touching them twice a year and they get a full health check every 6 months so it does have its plus points and if you live in a rural location it is great for Ticks

I think that was totally unnecessary Liz and am sure all of us could come up with the same for Program!

I know you have been using this for a long time and in your situation it sounds like its the best way to go. However most cat owners do not go down this route and we choose varying types of flea and worming products that last for about 4-5 weeks.

Alsoall do not choose to flea and worm very often or at all, because we believe to keep giving chemicals on a regular basis is not good for our cats.

I would also prefer not to vacinate so frequently and dont use leukemia vaccine but at the end of the day this is each individuals choice as to what product we use and how often.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 00:38:17 AM »
Thank God you thought to query it and that Edd picked up on the name difference  :hairrasin:

On a separate note, can't believe those little babies that we have seen growing up on Purrs are old enough to be neutered, doesn't time fly! Are they still foster cats or have they weedled their way in?  :naughty:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 00:06:42 AM »
I cant remember Jiji and Edd unless I look out Sasas bill but you maybe right.

Am gonna have to look for it soon cos just changed her vets!

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 23:25:33 PM »
Watch out for weight when using Milbemax  :shify: :shify: :shify:.................... our lot do prefer it though  :)

Rosella's right - dosage is by weight and also there are 2 types of milbermax:
- Milbermax for small cats and kittens
- Milbermax for cats

This link gives the dosage by weight for both types:
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/Milbemax_Tablets_for_Small_Cats_and_Kittens_Milbemax_Tablets_for_Cats/-44269.html

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 23:16:30 PM »
Watch out for weight when using Milbemax  :shify: :shify: :shify:.................... our lot do prefer it though  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 23:16:53 PM by Rosella moggy, Reason: spelling »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 22:52:23 PM »
OH MY GOODNESS

Hope you kick up a right stink, that could have been a very dangerous mistake by whoever gave you the tablet

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 22:48:08 PM »
Are you thinking of Profender Gill? that is a spot on wormer.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 22:37:42 PM »
Gill - are you thinking of the Droncit injection (does tapeworm only)
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/worming/info.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 22:24:08 PM »
Thats not what I am referring to Liz, I am just referring to the injectable drontal, I think its called without checking.

Purrsonally I dont like injectable versions of flea stuff incase of adverse effects because this will remain in the body for 6 months.

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 22:04:02 PM »
The injectable form of treatment is Program Plus it does fleas and ticks and one sort of worms - we use it here at the Clan for everyone given 6 monthly we also use Millibex and Drontal for everyone every 3 months  though keeping the spreadsheet for the ferals is an art form as they can't be fooled like they were the last time!

We also use Panacur granules for the kittens and Mist Puppy, the adult dogs are on Program tablets monthly with wormers again every 3 months
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 21:21:41 PM »
Phew -  that was lucky

If going back to vets see if you can swap for Milbermax - much smaller tab - easier to get down the cat in one.

Here is a link for Milbermax

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/Milbemax_Tablets_for_Small_Cats_and_Kittens_Milbemax_Tablets_for_Cats/-44269.html

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 21:22:45 PM by Edd »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 21:21:02 PM »
My goodness well done you two  :hug: :hug:

I too would go for millibax cos they are tiny and have seen vet giving a dsurprised Misa one.

If you cant adminster them there is a drop on that you can get from the vets but it must be administered at least a week apart from a flea drop on, this is used for my cats who wont take pills.

There is also an injectable one which Sasa was given because she needed Stronghold cos of her ears.

If you need the names just let me know and I will hunt out the papers.

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 21:10:17 PM »
Hi Edd,
The tablet is a sort of creamish colour.
Looking at it more closely the box the vet has supplied it in says drontal cat and has the vets sticker on it saying one tablet per cat up to 6mths of age, but the tablets inside are drontal plus and have a tiny picture of a dog on the foil wrapper, they also contain the same ingredients as on the dog tablet link you provided.
A bloomin good job I came on here to ask for advice, I shall be ringing the vets in the morning as they have clearly given me the wrong tablets.
Thanks for preventing a near disaster!
Lorna x

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 20:41:33 PM »
Thought Drontal Plus was for dogs  :-: and that for cats it was drontal and drontal XL - probably are wrong.

Here is Noah's Compendium on Drontal for Cats:
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Bayer_plc/Drontal_Cat_Tablets/-23588.html
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Bayer_plc/Drontal_Cat_Tablets/-23590.html

What colour is the tab cos the dog one is brown:
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Bayer_plc/Drontal_Plus_Flavour_Tablets/-23598.html

On giving Drontal it has a bitter taste and I have always found unless you get it down in one you can end up with a frothy mess and drool  and a wet tablet :sick: So when I have used Drontal - have made the vet administer it  :naughty: Otherwise I use Milbermax much easier to give.

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
Worming question. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 19:56:32 PM »
When the kittens were neutered last week I picked up worming tablets for them both from the vets, but have left them till now as I wanted to let them get over their ops.
The tablets are Drontal plus cat tablets and they are to have one tablet each - but they are absolutely huge and I have no idea how to administer them? they only eat dry food so if I crush them I can't mix them into food, what do I do? Help please!!!!!!!!
Lorna x

Link to CatChat