Author Topic: Stronghold, Small Cats & Ear Mites?  (Read 8320 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Stronghold, Small Cats & Ear Mites?
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 04:57:24 AM »
Perhaps I will ring and see which vet we are booked in with. The one that I saw on Noah's last day was so good with him  :'( that is why I went back. Lulu was fine very quickly when I know some are traumatised, it was just horrible seeing her hiss and struggle because she is so good natured and doesn't even mind being in the carrier or the car! Mind you if she is a monster like she has been today I may just hand them the carrier and run away. :evillaugh:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 00:35:48 AM »
Once all the prodding, poking, ear cleaning and microchipping is done at the vets then you'll be able to concentrate on each other  :Luv:  :hug:

Riley was chipped the first time while under GA but it migrated to his chest/armpit so the second time he was awake. He's not a good patient (I had to send a card apologising for his behaviour when he was hospitalised  :-[) but he barely noticed so I'm sure LuLu will be fine :care:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 00:30:23 AM »
The vets handling is really important and Richard even got her to walk out of her cage by talking nonsense to her and then he just picked her up.

A second wonderful vet vacinated, frontlined her and chipped her.............however weighing was one step too far lol

I have just moved her to the vets where Napoleon was and she will become Gareths patient and her first visit will be very soon!!

If it doesnt work she will have to be transferred back but think that Gareth will be OK with her.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 23:53:48 PM »
Noah froze/ shrank away when I thought he'd bite. :( Lulu squeaked at me when I tried to get near her ears and she struggled terribly at the vets. I do think part of that was my inability to hold her (which I told the vet  :tired:) and part the vets handling of her. It's often the little ones that are the feistiest!  :rofl:

I imagine an abscess is quite painful, poor Sasa.  :scared:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 21:20:59 PM »
My Sasa was chipped without a problem but she freezes on the vet table, she has bitten one vet but that is cos he accidently hurt her when looking to find out what was wrong.

She had a bite turned into an abcess but had to be sedated to find it, she has very furry trousers!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 20:40:35 PM »
 :thanks: from to you all Lulu, she has been a monster today so I guess she is feeling fine!

Helen: I am just grumbling, actually I already enquired at our vet practice. They have a year round £10 microchip offer, so hopefully she will be done next time.  ;D I say hopefully because of how stressed she go; obviously the vaccinations have to be done, her ears still need to be cleaned and apparently the chip is a large needle.

Lulu settled down so quickly afterwards that it seems to me she could see the vet, be put back in the carrier to chill THEN have the nurses do what they need to do.  :sneaky: It doesn't matter to me how long it takes, it's expensive to get taxis everywhere so I'd prefer to get everything done and dusted. This vet insisted on doing everything herself, but seemed less than keen on the idea of chipping, vaccinating AND cleaning ears once she'd been hissed at and nipped! :naughty:
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 00:38:46 AM »
So pleased her ears are improving  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 00:12:10 AM »
Glad teh stronghold did the trick  ;D It's still early days in her new life together with you so you might not need the Feliway full time once she's fully settled in  :) :hug:

Have you checked with your CP / RSPCA to see if they have any offers on microchipping at the moment? You could also try the council dog warden (if they haven't subcontracted the role out  :tired:).

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 23:59:48 PM »
Lulu is scratching far less and not shaking her head at all, I think the mites have been deaded! :wow: I've looked in her ears as she was in the right light and there are some massive lumps of wax in her left ear, poor girl.

Also had the Feliway off since Saturday and she was fine yesterday but seems standoffish today so switched it back on. Blooming can't afford posh grub AND microchipping AND Feliway refills AND a custom cat tree. *grumble grumble* Maybe she will feel more settled when her ears are cleaner, the tree is done so she has more places to scent mark?
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 23:41:12 PM »
I hope it works, they can smell it at 100 paces lol

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 23:24:01 PM »
There wasn't even any stealth navigating of Stronghold, madam knew.  :evillaugh: She has been scratching again today so it's in the nick of time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 23:29:21 PM by Fire Fox »
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 09:02:33 AM »
my amber is on 3kg and around 8 years old so lulu may just be small - trouble is my other three are all over 5.5kg so anything in the 2 sounds really small to me lol!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 23:54:28 PM »
No chance their ears are so sensitive cos of them LOL

Just tried getting a bit close with ducha and cant get near lol

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 23:48:13 PM »
I was hoping to stealth navigate the fur tufts. :shify: But upward-delegating to a vet nurse still sounds more appealing and would probably be better for my decor!
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 23:39:26 PM »
All my cats have fur tufts in their ears so no stealth possible lol

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 23:16:41 PM »
Thanks yet again and I am sure Lulu will be thankful once she stops itching.  :evillaugh: I would not have been confident to clarify the dose of Stronghold without you guys. Have not dosed her yet as she's sleeping off the vaccination but will tomorrow. Now she is sleeping on her side it occurs to me I might get ear cleaning fluid in her the same way I used to clip Noah's nails ... by stealth ...  :shify:

Tallulah is tiny but petite like a kitten-cat. She has an obvious waist and I can feel her spine but doesn't look bony: I have been told she was thin when she rocked up as a stray tho. I asked the vet straight out if she is underweight and the vet said no, but she might still do some growing and to give her kitten food. I have Applaws kitten dry so will now add that in, as Lulu has not podged up even tho she is already eating Noah-size portions!  :Crazy: I was aware Bozita might be too low in fat, but didn't want to add too many new foods at once.
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 19:01:23 PM »
Blooming vets and their guessing!

Thats how Napoleon didnt get enough meds in Nov!

Poor Lulu and pleased the lower amount is being used cos I think the higher dose is too much for a cat even at 3 kgs

I do hope that stronghold clears the problem  :hug:

I dont think cats are very good at ear cleaning cos Sasas are a mess but she grooms her coat immaculately.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 18:18:38 PM »
Sounds like a stressful visit for all concerned!  :hug: Hopefully the stronghold will do the trick and no further prodding or poking is needed  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 18:11:23 PM »
poor lulu, she really is tiny isn't she - hope the ears are sorted quickly

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 18:02:48 PM »
We are back from the vets: poor Lulu got very stressed, was hissing, biting and struggling.  :( She does not have a microchip, is 1-2 years old, weighs 2.3kg [2.4kg on my scales two weeks ago], is probably spayed as there is a mark in her fur on the side, cannot feel kittens, probably had a broken pelvis, some build up on her back teeth.

Not particularly impressed with that vet as I don't think she had a proper look to confirm mites. Only the dirtiest ear got cleaned a bit, and she didn't use the magnifying light implement at all. First she said I could give the higher dose Stronghold (as she was guessing over 2kg, not a typo) then weighed her and sold me a single of the lower dose.

I will keep a close eye on the scratching and shaking - which has been much reduced since Monday - and get the nurses to clean again in three weeks. Next time I think they need to do Lulu's ears first, or put her back in her carrier as she settled again whilst we were waiting for a taxi. There is no way I am going to be able to use ear drops or clean her ears, so I really Stronghold does the trick. :scared:
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 03:23:20 AM »
I so wish they could talk too........sigh

Think you need get vet to eliminate ear mites or other infection and go from there.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 02:02:43 AM »
Can scratching ears and shaking the head be overgrooming?

Tallulah does not seem stressed so I turned the Feliway off as a trial - demanding cuddles, purring loads, VERY playful, eating well, using the tray normally, not hiding/ retreating (on my bed or lap from day one), not over or under grooming, exploring the whole flat, letting me pick her up and even clip her nails! None of this changed when the Feliway was off. She was not even stressed in the carrier/ car on the day she arrived, just looking around then laying down no mewling. She doesn't seem to mind Noah's scent on stuff and is fascinated by other cats on YouTube and the pigeons outside! There are no other animals in the building AFAIK and the adjacent flat is vacant.

Plus Lulu was shaking her head and scratching in week one (whilst Feliway was on), hence I messaged asking when parasites were last zapped and what with. Monday's head-shaking/ scratching extravaganza was several days after Feliway was switched off, immediately after sleep and well before the hair-related upset. The only other thing could be food ... now wondering if the scratching has coincided with a couple of slightly runny bum days.  :sick:

Anyway Feliway will stay on and the vet will look at her ears; if there are no mites we will have to think again. Maybe I am missing subtle signs, indoor cats are not the same beasties as outdoor cats you see a different side to them. Wish they could talk or better still I wish I could talk cat.  :shy:
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 00:40:36 AM »
Feliway............stress maybe?

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 00:12:18 AM »
Having scratched and shook her head yesterday afternoon as much as the whole previous week put together, I've seen Lulu scratch once today!  :shocked: The Feliway is back in use but I can't imagine what difference that would make? Feliway on because I subjected my hair to a chemical-assault yesterday evening and Lulu wouldn't sit with or talk to me afterwards, tho she was still willing to play.

She is still going to the vet of course.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 16:33:20 PM »
Lulu is booked in for her first vaccinations and a check up on Thursday! I'm using my regular vet and the check-up is included so just treatment to pay for on top.  ;D
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 23:48:46 PM »
 :thanks: to everyone, your expertise is really helpful as always and I will contact the vet on Monday. Gawd I don't fancy ear drops, Lulu won't even let a Mikki wipe go near her outer ear (I wouldn't shove it in the delicate inner part). But I will do whatever is required to the best of my ability!  :scared:

Gillian: I honestly don't think the balance and ears are linked, having watched how she falls off stuff over the last few days. HOWEVER that does not mean I am correct in my assessment, and it would absolutely be right of anyone here or a vet to consider that possibility.  :hug:

Gill: Sounds like my Noah with his one flea!  :evillaugh: Fingers crossed (the correct dose of) Stronghold does the trick.
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 23:28:09 PM »
I find stronghold works fine on earmites!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 22:09:57 PM »

Hmmm, if you do think that its linked to an ear problem, I think you will have to bite bullet and get her checked over. If its an ear infection/ear mites, it can very quickly get out of hand and end up being a bigger problem -

I wouldn't wait 2 weeks.
Earmites are very uncomfortable and the scratching can cause an infection quite quickly.

I don't find Stronghold works on earmites TBH - Canaural Ear Drops are much better but it is a dirty and long job !

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 21:41:52 PM »
I think you might find you need to take her to the vets as soon as you can. If it is ear mites then they can make the ears very itchy and uncomfortable. Stronghold may not do the job in this case. She may need topical treatment (eardrops) to get rid of them. The vet should be able to look at the discharge under the microscope and see for certain whether it is due to ear mites.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 23:49:42 PM »
Stronghold is prescription only and my two vets have stopped stocking it and have to order and comes 3 in a packet.

However I would go with the stronghold of right strength for weight cos good for ear mites but may take two doses over two months to get them if they really bad but far better than putting drops in ears.

Its quite powerful and knocked poor Napoleon for a six end of last year when he had 6 fleas! He was about 3.5 kgs at a guess.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 22:23:54 PM »
And now I've typed all this out it suddenly occurs to me that clumsiness might be ears and not the dislocated pelvis. Hmmm.  :shy:

Hmmm, if you do think that its linked to an ear problem, I think you will have to bite bullet and get her checked over. If its an ear infection/ear mites, it can very quickly get out of hand and end up being a bigger problem - I had this with one of my foster cats last year and unfortunately she ended up having to have her ears flushed out under anaesthetic (plus they also x-rayed to see if anything else going on), but she was still left with a head tilt from the ear infection - which started off as an ear mite infestation, despite being treated for that initially.  :-:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 21:38:54 PM »
Hi here is the dosage from Noah's compendium
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Stronghold/-31090.html

Looks like the 45mg is for cats 2.6kg and above.

There is a 15mg Stronghold for cats under 2.5 kg - your vet should also have those.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 21:44:38 PM by Edd »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
Stronghold, Small Cats & Ear Mites?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 21:33:47 PM »
Tallulah is scratching at her ears and shaking her head, I can see black gunge in there which I know is often a sign of active or previous ear mites. I cannot see flea dirt or worms in poop. I don't know when she was last treated for ear mites due to her history as a stray, but definitely not in the two weeks I have had her! I was told she had been wormed when taken to the vet after the RTA - more than a month ago - I asked what product and when a week ago but no response.

Lulu will go to the vet for a check-up, ear clean and vaccinations when I get paid in two weeks, then will be insured ... So I could do without a vet visit now, tho absolutely will if there is any sign of an ear infection (discharge, smell).  :-[  I have a 45mg Stronghold left from Noah; am I wrong to consider using it or part of it? Is it even the right dose for a 2.4kg cat? Google seemed to think not but VetUK only sell the one cat strength?? If I use it how long until it is effective (or not and we go straight to the vets)? :-:

Feel free to tell me if I should just bite the bullet and go to the vet or buy a different product from VetUK. And now I've typed all this out it suddenly occurs to me that clumsiness might be ears and not the dislocated pelvis. Hmmm.  :shy:
Lulu's Catbook

Link to CatChat