Author Topic: Cat Limping  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cat Limping
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 20:35:47 PM »
There two main anti flams over here, Metacam which is really effective but not for cats with kidney problems and Vetagesic which is used instead if a cat does have kidney issues.

Then of course there are steroids which are used too but each one has a different possible side effect.

My own opinion is that is really stupid to with draw something very effective which is fine if the vets know what they are doing!

My brothers cat was a calici carrier and never passsed it on to any other cat but he had flare ups himself, although he was not a well cat for other reasons.

I believe they go through times when they shed but even that does not mean it passes on.

I would definately stay away from FIP jab and many over here, including me, stay away from Leukemia jab too cos there are too many adverse reactions.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 19:50:28 PM »
I might have meant to say anti-inflammatory, or are they the same thing? I can't remember now.

Ah, anti-inflammatories, no, not the same thing as antibiotics - I'm guessing its Metacam anti-inflam you are thinking of thats been withdrawn.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 18:53:06 PM »
honestly don't panic, I had two brothers both with calici and was in the process of buying a bengal kitten, I spoke to my vet first and he said "how do you know she hasn't got it already" basically his take was that about 70% of cats are carriers not all will ever display any symptoms at all so you would never even know - my boy Oscar (his brother was killed in a rta) is a sensitive soul, any vet visit causes him stress and he withdraws into himself, vaccinations (even program which is for fleas) caused him to become withdrawn and depressed so my vet agreed we don't take him unless we really have to and don't get him vaccinated - he has been happy and healthy for five years since this - I also have a very good friend who's cat had a horrible flare up with the leg syndrome and we really all thought she would die but she didn't and that was at least 7 years ago and she shares her home with another cat happily - please don't worry, if you can get your cat well you may never have to think of it again

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 18:52:45 PM »
TBH from what I have read the FIp vacccine is not very effective so I would save your money on that one if it was me
It must be very frustrating for you and I hope your little one is better soon x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline sammo

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Sammo
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 18:45:51 PM »
one of my cats is a calcivirus carrier, he has only had one flare up (after vaccinations) and it has never happened again in 5 years (I just don't get him vaccinated with my vets approval), if you can get you cat better I wouldn't worry too much, lots of cats have calici but never had a flare up in their lives

You said he had his symptoms after his vaccine? My cat had "FVCRP" so maybe that triggered it.
I have 2 cats, is this transmittable? I can't separate the cats because I have no doors.  I can't control which bowl they eat/drink out of either. I would ask if I should get the other cat vaccinated but it sounds like it does more harm than good.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 18:39:28 PM »
one of my cats is a calcivirus carrier, he has only had one flare up (after vaccinations) and it has never happened again in 5 years (I just don't get him vaccinated with my vets approval), if you can get you cat better I wouldn't worry too much, lots of cats have calici but never had a flare up in their lives

Offline sammo

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 18:37:14 PM »
I might have meant to say anti-inflammatory, or are they the same thing? I can't remember now.
How would the Vet test for or rule out this "calicivirus"?  It's an expensive vet, I would've hoped that they thought of this already.  If this is his problem will he get better on his own?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 18:00:04 PM »
So if it is a response to the jab how long should it take to go away? It's been well over a week.

Not really sure, here's a link to some info about it http://www.fabcats.org/owners/cat_flu/limping_syndrome.html

So is it ALL antibiotics in the US associated with kidney problems, or just some?

Offline sammo

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 00:08:46 AM »
It could be related to the calici part of the jab - that can sometimes cause limping syndrome, although I would have thought it would happen more immediately after the jab than a couple of weeks later.  :hug:

We don't have anti-biotics for cats in the U.S. at the moment since they were all discontinued recently.

Crikey, how come?

Because it was causing kidney problems, so Vet says the drug companies are scrambling to create a new drug.  So if it is a response to the jab how long should it take to go away? It's been well over a week.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 00:03:32 AM »
It could be related to the calici part of the jab - that can sometimes cause limping syndrome, although I would have thought it would happen more immediately after the jab than a couple of weeks later.  :hug:

We don't have anti-biotics for cats in the U.S. at the moment since they were all discontinued recently.

Crikey, how come?

Offline sammo

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 23:48:24 PM »
Okay I took him to a more expensive vet that is far away and they did X-Rays and found nothing wrong with him.  We don't have anti-biotics for cats in the U.S. at the moment since they were all discontinued recently. The vet gave me painkillers to give Sammo every 12 hours for a week until he stops limping so that it works itself out.

Then we brought Sammo home and he wasn't even limping! I was ready to forget the whole thing, but the next day we woke up and he is limping again. I don't want to give him painkillers because then he will play with his sister and aggravate his condition. I am trying to keep him from jumping, and my only concern is that I want him to be healthy for when I leave on my upcoming three week trip! Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 00:25:37 AM »
If possible you need to find a vet that you trust and rememeber that user reviews need to be balanced cos often only those disatisfied review.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 22:54:52 PM »
I dont know a lot about the FIP jab as they dont have it outside of the US but I have heard of it making cats poorly
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline sammo

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 20:04:42 PM »
I didnt know there was an FIP jab!

I am in the States.  I keep having my own medical stuff to take care of and haven't brought him in yet.  He's really not limping that bad, but he has started to make a point of lying down all day. He eats plenty though.  What could it be? I'm worried about my vet because I read on a website of user reviews:

"They misdiagnosed my dog with hip dysplasia which later turned out to be a sprain.   As a result, they overdosed my poor dog with anti-inflammitory injections and nearly killed him."

It seems like a little limp is an easy fix, and I'm worried about making it worse.  Other vets are really far and expensive -and they all have horror stories by user reviews. So I don't know what to do.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 21:50:23 PM »
I didnt know there was an FIP jab!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 13:11:03 PM »
I take it that you are not in the UK as he had the FIP JAB ?

I would definately get him checked over by a vet - hope he feels better soon x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »
I'd also get him checked out by the vet.  My cats have always had their infections together and I guess this is fairly common, so I don't think it was any fault of your present vet.  Might be worth asking if they stock a different brand which he could have next time though.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »
Hello and  :welcome:  to Purrs  ;D . Sorry to hear your cat is limping, I would take Tan's advice and pop him along to the vets so they can get him sorted. If it does turn out to be connected to the injections they will then be able to make a note of it on his file so that things can be done differently when he next has them.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:03:20 AM »
Hiya welcome to Purrs  :welcome:

One of my cats also started  limping after he was given the three injections in one go. It was definitely the three together that had a bad reaction with him.  I took him back to the vet and he had antibiotic injection and was ok after a few days .. stopped limping.

I would def take him (is it Sammo his name?) back to the vet. Yes i would think it's a reaction to the vacs but always best to be sure by a trip to the vet. 

Let us know how he gets on  :)
 :hug:

Offline sammo

• Kitten
Cat Limping
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:23:17 AM »
My cat started limping a few days ago.  At first he would limp and then start walking somewhat normal, but now he always limps.  He doesn't hiss about it and he seems to be able to stand on it a little.  It looks like that leg might be slightly swollen, and he licks his ankle.  A couple weeks ago we got him the following vaccinations:

FVRCP
Leukemia
FIP
and they trimmed his nails.

Afterwords he was lethargic for days! Then he seemed okay for a week till he started limping. Should I trust this vet? Could it have been the vaccines that are hurting him?

Link to CatChat