Author Topic: Fattening foods for a sensitive stomach  (Read 1930 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Fattening foods for a sensitive stomach
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 20:09:22 PM »
I'll link this to Andrea and see what she says. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 19:20:56 PM »
Sensitive stomach too though Liz....bit of a minefield sadly. I did think of kitten food but wasn't sure knowing her stomach's the way it is.

Thank you. I'll make sure they're passed on - what a fighter of a girl she is. :Luv:

What is Dillen sensitive to, does she have a true allergy to a protein source (e.g. beef, fish, wheat gluten) or is it an intolerance, failing to digest carbs efficiently as many cats do? Have any tests or an elimination diet been undertaken? Often humans assume a sensitive tummy is because food is too 'rich' - to humans that means high in fat or animal protein as that is often what triggers us. Felines being obligate carnivores are evolved to eat 'rich' foods but of course any sudden change from a high carb to high protein (or vice versa) may trigger digestive disturbance, as the body needs time to adjust the balance of digestive enzymes.

The easiest option is to go for a high animal protein/ grain free wet diet, because that cuts out most carbohydrates - which convert to damaging blood sugar - and limits the number of ingredients compared with dry. Butchers Classic (<50p for a large can) and Bozita (£1 for a large carton) have few ingredients which is useful in eliminating possible culprits BUT neither is a single protein source, so it wouldn't help distinguish between chicken or beef as the problem. HiLife chicken and Feline Fayre chicken (blue pack) are more expensive per kilo but both are stocked by Home Bargains at present (both 29p per pouch). ;) IIRC both are a sole protein source which could help with identifying the culprit but won't be suitable if Dillen is allergic to chicken! Again IIRC there is a little sugar in the FF and a little tapioca in the HL but both products will be substantially lower in carbs than the vast majority of dry foods.

Another option is to go all raw, again that eliminates the carbs and being sensitive to cooked beef does NOT mean you will be sensitive to raw beef because cooking denatures (changes the structure of) the protein allergen. The problem is the fosterer may not feel able to commit to it, the vet may not support it, the rescue may not want to put that burden on a prospective adopter AND of course Dillen may not take to it. :shy: Can't honestly say that would be the route I'd choose unless eliminating carbs from the diet triggered a negative digestive response (allergy).

HTH.  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 18:00:48 PM »
Sensitive stomach too though Liz....bit of a minefield sadly. I did think of kitten food but wasn't sure knowing her stomach's the way it is.

Thank you. I'll make sure they're passed on - what a fighter of a girl she is. :Luv:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
Having had 2 diabetic cats here at the Clan we found kitten food was a great build up tool - has she been for a sugar curve this will advise the way forward

One of our diabetics wa a feral so know how distressing it can be to establish all the facts

We also used cheese and chicken breast and then allowed as much food as they wanted - the stabilising is the important factor and once that is done the weight will go back on

Sending gentle strokes for Dillen xx
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
Dillen is a special girl. Both myself and Andrea will keep fighting for her and making sure people know about her if funds are needed especially for treatment.....people have let her down so much, it's time to start making up for it in a big way. :hug:

After two cancellations visiting her (my friend was ill and couldn't drive - as well as the box for Dillen I have three cat carriers, a cage, two covered litter trays and a plastic bed for the rescue so public transport wasn't plausible) and then a house move for RACR I finally get to meet her the end of this month. She's got a reserved place in my thoughts this one, and I'm looking forward to meeting her a lot. :)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 22:02:29 PM »
I've only just twigged the name.  :'( Poor Dillen she has been through so much, relieved she has people like you and Andrea (and so many others along the way) fighting her corner. :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:01:09 PM »
Update - Dillen is suspected to be diabetic. Will post when we know for sure. Thanks you two. :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:30:07 AM »
I would think the vet is best to advice on this one as after a brief search I see there is a history of these issues. I'd expect a vet to prescribe either sensitive or recovery food but again it's down to history.  ;)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 00:36:11 AM »
What ingredient(s) is Dillen sensitive/ allergic to?
Lulu's Catbook

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Fattening foods for a sensitive stomach
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 21:56:32 PM »
Can anyone advise? Dillen is losing weight again and Andrea is concerned. Thanks.

Link to CatChat