Author Topic: Cat flaps  (Read 1582 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Cat flaps
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »
I've used magnetic flaps for years but finally gave up - the cost of continually replacing collars and magnets was obscene (seven cats lose a lot of collars) and Pursley now has a permanently bald line around her neck where the collar has rubbed her fur clean off. One cat got his front leg jammed through his collar and had we not been around it could have been very nasty indeed for him.

Basically I don't like collars so I invested in a microchip flap. Unfortunately I didn't realise at the time that these need a constant AC electricity supply so I can't actually install it - what a waste!

What I'm left with is a magnetic cat flap that I've disabled the catch on. :doh: Now everyone can come in and steal the dinner!

OK - practically speaking for your situation, your little cats are the cause of their own problem - are you sure the kitten is a boy? If not, and both are un-neutered females, this sole fact is what is tempting the big boys in and the boys will not give up until both females are pregnant again, which nobody wants! No cat flap can keep amorous Toms away from an entire female in heat. Even if it's just the Mum cat, she will be ready to conceive again by now, and may be pregnant already.
Can you arrange with a local vet to TNR (trap neuter release) the girl (and the boys for that matter) under the RSPCA voucher scheme? Most vets participate and the neuter is free for strays - you just take them in and bring them back if you're happy to act as their carer/feeder?? (Make double sure the vet understands that you are happy to do this or they could end up in RSPCA rescue - and that's another story).

Good luck, it sounds as if you're serious about the welfare of this little pair! Well done. :)

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 22:01:33 PM »
(Our microchip cat flap does and I sometimes have to let Sage in because she's spooked out.... :tired:)

you can switch that beep off though.  can't just remember how to do it but its easy enough.  i like the sound cos it lets me know that there's someone on their way in :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
Tough one. Not with Sage, because due to her nervousness she will try and creep through it, resulting in her scrunching the area up where the chip is. :tired:

You can get microchip cat flaps online easily.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline kathleen21

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Calvin and Hobbes
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 22:56:56 PM »
The mum who you can handle will wear collars no prob ... Dont know about the kitten yet as he suffers only minimal touching before running away. Was hoping to sneak an easy to fasten one on him while henis engrossed in food.

How do you find the microchip cat flap ... Have also looked and considered those... Are they reliable.?  Do they always pick up the signal?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 20:00:56 PM »
I don't think the infrared or magnetic make a noise. (Our microchip cat flap does and I sometimes have to let Sage in because she's spooked out.... :tired:)

You would need collars for that type of flap though. Will yours wear them?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline kathleen21

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Calvin and Hobbes
Cat flaps
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 17:30:50 PM »
Hi

Has anyone had any experience of magnetic or infrared cat flaps??

I have two semi feral cats (a young mum n her kitten) who have taken up home in my garden and I've been feeding and looking after them for the last couple of months. Where they are sleeping now is not suitable for them and so am buying them an outside cat house n run where they can sleep, play, eat etc.

Only problem is that there is another couple of big feral toms in the neighbourhood who visit my garden a couple of times a day looking trying to pinch the food for my two. My cats are only little n young and are scared of the other bigger cats. I don't want these cats moving into my cats new home or continuing to pinch their food.

So am looking for a magnetic or infrared cat flap so only my two cats can get into their new home ... But after doing research online ... The reviews seem mixed for all makes / models?  Has anyone got any experience of successfully using these type of cat flaps or any products you could recommend???  My two are quite nervous so something quiet would be best - have read of some cats being scared of noise the door makes when opening!

Also, anyone got any tips / tricks in getting cats to use cat flap for first time? 

Link to CatChat