Author Topic: Urination issues!  (Read 1963 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: Urination issues!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 21:08:01 PM »
So glad that things have improved x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 21:44:40 PM »
Hope he continues to do well  :hug: :hug:

Offline twinklybee

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jackiepuss Von Pigglesticks the First
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 20:10:42 PM »
Just thought I'd update you all!

We took Jack to the vet last Saturday morning.  She was content to suspect behavioural issues from the fact he had no physical symptoms and a normal temperature. She, like you, recommended Feliway, which I duly purchased.

I've had the sofa cushions in bin bags too *grins* Touch wood, so far, we've had no more puddles and Jack is back to his normal playful self (albeit with a few teeth).  I decided to take him so soon because the morning after I posted my question he quite viciously had a go at my forearms.

I honestly just think he was angry with me for the upheaval that Malta caused.

Thank you for all your advice!  :Luv2:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 22:04:52 PM »
............ "holidays" could have stressed him out.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would try a Felliway Plug in. ...............I used Zyklene (supplemnet that you sprinkle on food)....... I can recommend a cleaner called "urine off" which I get from EBay because unless you totally remove all smell he will go back to the same place. Good Luck 

Wot she  says  :)   :hug:

Offline twinklybee

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 22:21:18 PM »
Thanks Sheryl.  I'm going to ring in the morning and see if I can get him checked over. :)

And if it turns out to not be health related, I will invest in a Feliway anyway having looked into it.  I want him to be as content as possible.  :scared:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 22:02:56 PM »
As Sheryl says, definitely get him checked out for any health issues which might be causing it first.

I don't have wee issues *touch wood* but do use the Feliway plug ins with great success for my overly sensitive cat. He's like a different cat with the Feliway plugged in so if Jack's weeing issues are due in any way to stress then I would definitely invest in a Feliway plug in. You can get the plug in and refill online - vetuk, petmeds, petplanet to name but a few - will be much cheaper than from a vets.

Offline twinklybee

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 21:46:54 PM »
Hi Sheryl!

Yes, he's a neutered boy.  He has two litter trays, as you say -one for each. 

Thank you for the recommendation of the cleaner, I'll look on ebay for it.

I need to make up my mind about which of the local vets to take him to -I've been umming and ahhing for a while over which to register at so now is crunch time I guess.  :shocked:

I've heard of the Feliways.  I'll have a research into them.

Thanks for your advice  :Luv2:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 21:28:36 PM »
Hi and welcome - first of all has Jack been neutered? I would dfinately get him checked out for any health issues, stress can cause cystitis and him being on his "holidays" could have stressed him out.

If he is neutered and the vet rules out any health issues I would try a Felliway Plug in. One of my Bengals used to have "accidents" hence the nick name Teeko Piddle Pants so I know how frustrating it can be.
I used Zyklene which is all natural and calms the cat because as my vet explained  - the strangest things can upset our furbabies and cause them to pee where they shouldnt.  It has taken a while but we are kust about sorted now.  I can recommend a cleaner called "urine off" which I get from EBay because unless you totally remove all smell he will go back to the same place.

Also if he is an idoor cat I would get another litter tray because most of my cats like to pee in certain trays and poop in others

Good Luck
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline twinklybee

• Kitten
Urination issues!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 21:15:10 PM »
Hope this is the right place for this.

Jack is nearly 9 months old. We got him when he was 4 months old and he has always been an absolute star about using his litter trays for both kinds of ablutions.

Recently, however, he has taken to peeing on our fabric sofa.  Both cushions and overnight last night, the bloomin' arm.

Me being me, I got on Google.  The first thing I saw was to get him checked for a UTI.  He is still using his box when he feels like it, is urinating at a normal frequency and his unmentionables look good as far as I can see.

We have just come back from a week in Malta and he went to stay with MIL for the time.  I wonder if this is just the stubborn throwback from the upheaval?  He had done it a few times before we left but not to this extent.

I would be really grateful for your thoughts and / or suggestions if you have any.  I have wash and get off and have stripped the sofa, washed what I could and doused the lot in spray.

I did have one thought -before Jack arrived we had an issue with mice (we live in a stone cottage in the middle of the countryside) which I know were on the chair.  I wonder if the smell of them is inciting him to use it as his new toilet?

Going a wee bit mad here so would appreciate anything you can suggest.

Thank you!

Link to CatChat