Author Topic: Cat dandruff?  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Pawsforthought

• Kitten
Re: Cat dandruff?
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 23:45:35 PM »
I've seen this on our black / white cats too.  Must get out the brush!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 13:17:05 PM »
I haven't noticed the dandruff so maybe if it was 'walking' dandruff it's just walked away :rofl:

:rofl:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:36:28 PM »
Hi Michelle, well Ollie is what you might call 'a big boy' rather than overweight ;) At the moment, he and Baz have both lost their winter weight which is normal for them once it gets really hot. We're in southern France and the high heat has come very early this year. Since I gave him a good brush a day or so ago, I haven't noticed the dandruff so maybe if it was 'walking' dandruff it's just walked away :rofl:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »
Such a rude question and I apologise to Ollie but is he *whispers* over weight ?
I remember my vet saying it is very common with over weight cats.

The other thing I would have a guess at is maybe its the food .........

There is also a mite called "walking dandruff "

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 13:30:10 PM »

My Cashie gets a bit of dandruff sometimes, he's a black cat so is quite noticeable. I fed him Royal Canin Skin & Hair kibble and added a wee bit of salmon & flaxseed oils to them as well, just rubbed it on my hands and then ran them through the kibble.  It worked, within a few weeks his coat was flakeless, and later on his hair grew longer, shinier and really luxuriant.

I think his started as a result of a bit of an allergy to fleas so the diet was only part of the cure, I waged a many pronged attack on the fleas as well. It happened again this Spring though, he rubs his little ears bald but he doesn't have fleas or mites, maybe its a pollen allergy?

Cashie loves his brushies though and that certainly seems to help the skin & coat if your cat enjoys that, although I know some just hate it.

Anyway, try tweaking his diet to include some omega oils (just a teensy amount) and it may help it and I don't think they do any harm anyway, we all need our omegas but obviously as already suggested, mention it to the vet if you are worried.

(I don't know why I don't try the oils myself actually as the result on him was so spectacular.)

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 13:21:46 PM »
Thank you for your responses. It's not so bad today. I brushed him to within an inch of his life last night! Got enough fur to knit another cat ;D So, I'll keep an eye on him to be sure it doesn't get worse. :thanks:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:52:07 AM »
I'd just mention it to your vet when you next go.  A few of our cats have been a bit scurfy - it tends to show up more in black cats.  My vet suggested some oily fish a few times a week and you can also get supplements but I'd get your vets advice.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 00:25:18 AM »
Will Ollie let you brush him? I find Lu can get a bit dandruff-y around his back near the tail, no reason for it as like nickynoo's cat they eat a good quality diet. I find that regular brushing (Lu LOVES the furminator) tends to stop it fairly quickly. Stroking is also good for their coats, apparently due to the natural oils on our palms, luckily for me Lu would sit and be stroked all day if he could!  :)

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 21:51:19 PM »
Hi Poppy and Charlie have the same problem, we feed them good quality food etc but still they are flaky. I was told to try Yumega by a friend, waiting for it to come.

http://www.lintbells.com/products/yumega-cat

Nicky

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 20:41:38 PM »
Sorry I dont know the answer

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
Cat dandruff?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 17:07:20 PM »
I have recently noticed what seems to be dandruff on Ollie's fur.  Is this possible and if so, what should I do about it? He spends most of his time outdoors especially since the weather has improved.  Other than the dandruff, he seems fine although he does seem to have an occasional  reaction to Frontline, resulting in a bald spot where it was applied. This doesn't seem to happen every time and , as we have a lot of ticks in the area, I need to use Frontline as there seems to be no other tick repellant. :thanks:

Link to CatChat