Author Topic: Retching/coughing- sore throat?  (Read 6494 times)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Re: Retching/coughing- sore throat?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 19:49:39 PM »
thanks guys, ill look forward to him being able to chat again ;D (i can cope with him not singing for a while though  :evillaugh:)

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 18:07:32 PM »
When our dog comes back from the kennels he has always 'lost his bark' from overbarking  :Crazy:
It takes weeks to come back and he barks croaky for ages so I expect it will take some time for the mewow to come back too.
I remember when one of ours got a grass blade stuck between his nose and throat and needed an op to get this out. He also had a croaky throat for quite some time.
Hope he is better soon x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 17:57:59 PM »
I've no experience of croaky throats in cats but when I've had a virus that's been hard to shift my throat has been croaky for months after (especially when I try and sing!) so would imagine it would be the same for any species.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
Lucifers now totally back to himself in his behaviour, happy and purry and playing etc. eating normally- but his voice is still croaky when he miawos which is not very often now,he used to be very talkative.

Does anyone know if this is to be expected or if theyve had experience and it will improve? im going to ask the vets when im next in but dont think theres any need to take lucifer in as hes not ill and they checked for blockages before.
it doesnt seem to hurt him to miaow when he does

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 07:43:08 AM »
glad it was nothing really nasty

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 20:04:40 PM »
Porr Lucifer :care: Pleased there's nothing untowards going on though.

:get well: Lucifer

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 19:49:19 PM »
So pleased he has nothing terrible wrong with him and hope his little throat getrs well soon  :hug: :hug:

Perfume      hmmmmmmmmmmmmm LOL

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 19:04:24 PM »
Home safe and sound (and a little wobbly) nothing found in throat and glands normal but throat very red. vet thinks the virus is just really knocking him. Metacam till it clears and plenty of cuddles for the little player - hes come home from the vets reeking of perfume!  :shify:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 15:54:41 PM »
I am sure he will be fine and do hope the vet can see what is causing this  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 13:39:03 PM »
vet wanted to keep him in for a look under GA. i hate leaving him  :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »
Do hope that the vet can sort this out, hope the poor boy feels better soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
Poor boy :care: Hope the vet cen get to the bottom of it this time  :hug:

Can't believe the cheek of Neko, picking on poor Lucifer while he's down!

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 11:50:47 AM »
hes gagging again  :tired: poor boys looking very uncomfortable too- lidded eyes and not moving around much. hes still eating but not very much at all and i had to resort to tasty treat food last night as he was only licking the jelly off bozita  :( so back to vets

its not helping either that as lucifer is so obviously vulnerable, Nekos decided to see if he can jump rank. not a chance when lueys well but while hes like this nekos much bigger and stronger so lucifers now safely holded up in my room. its been nothing serious but a bop on the head when hes like this is going to bother him more  :(

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 11:40:16 AM »

I think Riley would feign a sore throat just to get a daily dose of butter  :evillaugh:

i think Lucifer would too if he worked out that was why he was getting it  :evillaugh:

Thanks for the good will  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »
 :Luv: Glad to hear Lucifer is improving.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 00:32:48 AM »
Glad to hear he's on the mend :care:

I think Riley would feign a sore throat just to get a daily dose of butter  :evillaugh:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 15:15:30 PM »
Thanks Helen, Hes improved, still abit grumpy and staying close by but not retching and gagging anymore. vet said it could take 2 weeks to completely clear.
Forgot to mention before but Vet also suggested i give him abit of butter daily to help lubricate his throat. it did seem to make him immediately more comfortable so its a trick worth remembering

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 14:20:01 PM »
How's Lucifer doing now? Hope he's feeling better  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 17:00:04 PM »
My first thought was hairballs but sounds like it's a bit more than that  :hug:

In the absense of any knowledgable words, a healing headkiss for the lovely Lucifer :care:

:get well: Lucifer

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 15:15:40 PM »
may just be something going round

coincidently ive just had a call to go pick up a stray thats coughing

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 15:01:27 PM »
may just be something going round - sounds just like poor ginge.
Have been giving him metacam since sunday to help with temp and pain relief and he is fine now.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 14:57:06 PM »
Ok just been back to vets and had 2 week antibiotic injection  :tired: his glands are up now but werent on monday so i may have jumped the gun abit monday. if he sneezes or goes off his food at any point= straight back in

Re kitten i think im going to ask for the charity to reassign him to another foster, if they have one without other cats. vet has confirmed that hes most likely a carrier now

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »
I would take him back, betterr to be safe than sorry  :hug: :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
take him back if hes not right. my ginge has been poorly. gulping but nodes were swollen. he's ok now but its been a couple of weeks. he had the ab corvenia? the 2-week jaab. I've had him confined to my room and I think he quite likes it now ;D

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
Retching/coughing- sore throat?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »
Sorry, slightly long

Lucifer has been retching since sunday, he would eat ham but was disinterested in food. looked lethargic,eyes heavily lidded, crouched posture, unwilling/unable to sleep but not vomiting anything up. just retching accompanied by heavy swallowing

- he went to the vet monday, was given steroid injection and short acting  antibiotic but didnt have a temperature, nodes not inflamed and stomach all feeling fine. hed had his vacc booster  the wednesday before but the vet thought any reaction would have been sooner. I currently have a foster kitten in that has flu likely- swollen lymph nodes on long acting antibiotics and full of beans but separated out in spare room, hands washed with antibac soap after contact. Neither Neko or Sparecat are showing any signs of any illness at all. vet thinks foster kitten and lucifers issue may not been connected. Kitten is blind in both eyes- one ruptured , one too small. when i took him in a month ago (with no cold/flu signs) that was all the info i was given by the vets. the one that saw him when his nodes went up last week said it was likely to have been flu that caused his eyes in the first place.if thats the case i feel i should have been told (im sure my coordinator would have if she had known) as Neko had to have his vaccs seperated out as the same vet thinks his immune system may not be 100%. so is fostering at all an unacceptable risk? which i know is abit of a hot topic on occasion  :scared:

now lucifer is much improved in himself, eating, sleeping moving about but not miaowing which is fairly unusual for him as he tends to grumble and wail alot and he is still doing this weird gulping-retching thing. its not like when theyre sick or have a hair ball theres not the woomphing sound with it more like hes gagging abit. i saw a link on the internet that said it was a cough? he does still seem a little down but that might be as im mithering him

Vet said if he wasnt improved by wednesday to bring him back. thing is he improved hes just not totally ok yet so- any thoughts on whats wrong with him?  Lucifers never really been ill before, sparecats got quite a flat face and seems to get occasional colds but just enough that she wants some quiet for a day but in december she got something that made her retch and lose her voice. Vet decided to blood test, GA and check for obstructions then before antibio. Is it possible that shes either already had this (and immunity) or that someones a carrier?

im still in two minds about bringing him back to the vets, hes freaked out abit in the waiting room the last 2 times about dogs being there. (hes never had a problem before with dogs so im guessing one somewhere has upset him) so i dont want to stress him if theres nothing more that can be done. but i dont want to risk a serious problem going undiagnosed

So several issues id really appreciate a more informed opinion on please  :sneaky: Sorry for such a long rambling post

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:08:03 PM by snarf »

Link to CatChat