Author Topic: the runnies!!! 5 week old kitten, owner new to cats, help needed please  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
Glad to hear he is improving  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
So pleased he is nearly there  ;D

Lots of good wishes to your Nan  :hug:

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
Sorry I havent been online lately have been away looking after my Nan who is unwell. Twix is doing great now, not completely there yet but 70% solid so were getting there, vet gave us some more stuff to put over his food and said we can slowly start introducing mushed up biscuits to the chicken. All good so far. His bum is still a bit sire and swollen but alot better than it was, so he is doing great now except he had to have a hair cut this morning as he got hold of the fly paper and got all sticky bless him  :wow:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
How's Twix tonight ... how did you get on with the vet?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
 :rofl: im very easily tizzed!! esp when its furbabies. but ile calm down and stop ranting lol

Thanks so much every one for the help, ile update tomoz on what the vet says.  ;D

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
don't get yourself in a tizz!

that was worse case.....
but kittens with the runs can get very poorly very quickly..... keep fluids up and if he goes lethargic its a vet as an emergency.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Just thinking over the whole visit to the vets now and when twix went in he had some dry stuff round his nose and I pointed it out n she said something like oh itll just be a touch of flu common in stray kittens said in a way that it was ok n i shudnt worry but now i am looking at stuff on here and thinking she was  :censored: so how worried about the (fair point it is like a tiny bit less than wat we would have in corner of our eyes when we wake up) discharge, its dark in colour and isnt runny as in it always seems to be dry aeround his nore n eyes, should i be? Argh  :scared:

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Vets first thing in morning, couldnt get him anywhere today, i dont drive and the only other vets is three bus trips away dont really want to put him in the carrier for that long. A different vet. Parvo! :censored: I cant believe she didnt say anything, tbf i wasnt impressed with the exam she didnt do anything that i was expecting like check his eyes nose or his bum etc just popped him on scales asked if he was eating/drinking and advised chicken only and the lactstuff when i said he has runs, and said there would be no worries with the dogs. Stupid vet if i go to the vet tmz n they say he is in really bad way or that i could of had something more for him last saturday and the dogs to get ill she will no about it!! Is there anything anyone can think of i should ask the vet especially???
He is still quite a happy chappy playing with his toys and stuff, purring away when he sleeps, really not happy with the way his bum looks now tho it is really swollen god i hope he is ok!!! :scared:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
I think you need to get him seen today really. If he is having accidents his bowel must be very inflamed and he will dehydrate quickly. He could have an infection, in fact it sounds like this if it smells so bad. Poor little mite it must be very hard for you and him.
I hope he can be seen again soon and he is soon feeling better.
I would try and syringe feed him some fluids to stop dehydration.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I think I would get him back to the vet tomorrow at the latest  :hug: :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
worse case scenario - parvo. then there's worms, bacterial infection....

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
I was thinking that, and the vet said that it would be fine and that it would be better to get them used to each other from the off, but im worried the dogs will get ill, or that twix will get worse. I think i will keep them away as much as i can, dont think there any chance of them suddenly taking a dislike to each other now theyve met and got on a bit, one doesnt pay any notice its just jess the black one has taken it on to be mother hen. I agree with you but whats your reasoning just so i know if i need to vet check the dogs as well  :doh:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
I'd keep him away from the dogs at the moment

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Hi Thanks for replying

He LOVES the milk mixed with the chicken so thats that problem solved, my pet shop didnt have nay bottles in but ile get one on saturday from the big pet shop on saturday. How long do you think I should give him the milk/bottle for.
Also should i keep him just on chicken or add a little white fish to the mix as well I feel like he will be sick to death of chicken but im scared to give him a bit fish as well in case ity gets worse??

Im a bit worried now since he has had the runnies since i picfound him (last thursday) so i think i will be going back to the vet again if he hasnt made a solid tonight or tomorow, we did get soem medication but if anything its getting more watery, and does it always stink this much???

He does not like getting the cream on his bum but i think thats because its so sore bless him, he is crying while he is doing his runnie so it must be hurting then as well. Had lovely episode last night where he did it all over the dog was funny until i had to bath the dog.
still thoroughly enjoying being a cat mam! Just hope he gets better soon!!

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Not wanting to worry you but keep an eye on his bottom - if he has a prolapse, (something hanging out), you need to get him to a vet IMMEDIATELY.

If you shred the chicken very fine, you can add water to it or even some of the lactol so that he gets mre fluid when eating.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
You can get bottles to go with the Lactol, he might still like to suck rather than lick. (get one than one bottle as the teats go quickly)

I brought 4 kittens up on Lactol, its great stuff

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Hi
Yer he is on lactol but he hasn't really shown much interest will lap for a few seconds but thats all. Will try and get a syringe today see if it helps. Yer he has a litter tray in there with him which he is using but saying that he is also having accidents since sometimes it just comes flying out! But im learning the difference between im hungry yowl to i need a poo yowl lol little tinker he is!! 

Think will have to be sudocrem as he looks a bit like a baboon atm.

THbaks for the help really appreciate it  :thanks:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Pets at Home and I think Pampurred pets sell it so I think other pet shops should do it as well.  If that's not available a vet should be able to supply Cimicat which is the same thing.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Where does she get that from Lesley?

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
Sorry meant Lactol not Lectade and the best one to get is Lactol Gold for kittens rather than the genera one for puppies and kittens.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
Just seen this thread.  Vaseline should be okay for his little bum, that's what I use.  The lectade will be good for him, when they have the runs you need to make sure they stay hydrated.  If he doesn't like lapping it, you could try a small syringe (without a needle obviously) or a small nursing bottle and see if he will take it from that.  If he is trying to suckle from you dog he may prefer this method.  And little and often means every couple of hours and try and get about 5 - 10ml in him. 

Try and shred or mince the chicken as much as you can to  make it easier for him to eat.  He is awfully young and may not have weaned properly hence the need for the milk and mushy food.

Will go and read the other thread to get the full story.

Good luck.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
I second everything Snarf has said.  Don't worry about putting him in his hutch at night ..... it's better to be safe rather sorry while he is still so small and you have "big doggies".  Not saying the dogs would do him any harm but he is only a tiny thing and accidents can happen.  As long as he has his comforts, a bit of food, water and a litter tray he will be fine in there while you are in bed.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
sudocrem is also acceptable for sore kitty bums- Vet said just a little tho so it can be absorbed and not licked off. Just incase you have some in, if not, vaseline is probably the better thing to buy as it barriers against the moisture better unless the skin is red and or inflammed/swollen looking (sudocrem is actively soothing)

Re chicken, id give him as much as hes willing to take for now but in little amounts and proper mothers milk substitute milk as soon as you can.  When one of mine was on chicken only i roast/poached/microwaved (?) it in a little water and gave him the chicken chopped up in the water it cooked in to give him more fluid. Remember cooked chicken bones splinter easily so shouldnt be given to twix as it might cause him to choke. you might also be best, when his poos return to normal to slowly switchback to the diet youve chosen by mixing in other food with chicken.  im not used to kittens so young so hopefully one of the rescue peeps will be along soon with more help.

just seen your reply- dont feel quilty about his improvised pen, its safe and warm and has everything he needs (assuming theres a litter tray?) which is the important thing. its luxurious compared to the streets. cats are masters of never being quite satisfied no matter how much you give them and wrapping their slaves around their paws. its generally advised to separate dogs and cats for an initial period in any case as its hard to be sure how everyone will react once your asleep :shify:

Twix looks gorgeous (popped onto other thread)  :welcome: to purrs

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Yer he can sit in my hand pretty comfy Id say he a bit big for lying in it or anything. Yer well she didnt give it to us wrote it down and sent us to the pet shop. he is lapping at it but he doesnt drink alot of it. He has alot of energy and isn't lathargic or anything and he is drinking water. I hope someone comes along too i feel a bit lost tbh
He is sleeping in a  :-[ indoor rabbit cage :-[, which he hates but he is too active to be in anything that he can get out of, he has his snuggy blanket and a hot water bottle and toys in there, but it doesn't make him like it any better lol

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
I so hope that someone experienced comes along quickly but "often" really means every few hours I should think at his age and "little" probably enough to cover the middle of your palm assuming he is drinking the substitute milk...   I'm assuming you go the substitute milk from vet?

Where is he sleeping overnight?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 21:45:19 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Thanx ile get some vaseline tomoz.
 we have got him some substitue milk as well lac- something or other but he doesn't seem to keen on it. He keeps trying to suckle from my dog thankfully she doesnt seem to care but thats why i thought to get him some milk. . . . .
He eats the chicken great and is constantly crying for more dunno how much i shud be feeding him really, vet said little and often but  :-: how much is too much? He is roughly half a kilo or was on saturdy when we saw the vet
Thanks for changing the title think it needed it lol
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 21:39:14 PM by Sarah_Jane »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
5 weeks is very young and the runs need to be sorted quickly. Your vet is right about the feeding although I am not sure that kitten so young can eat that type of food.

I cant help you about what to put on his bottom but think it would be better if the dogs dont lick him.

You really need some advice from one of our rescues like Angie or Lesley cos a kitten so young can die if not given the right care.

I hope you dont mind if I change the title to attract attention

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: the runnies!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 21:15:16 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Have just read little Twix's story on your other thread, poor boy and thank God you found him  :hug:

One of our rescue members (currently poorly in hospital) has recommended vaseline for sore kitty bottoms  :-[

Vaseline is totally safe I use it on lots of kitty bums when needed.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Hey So twix has the runnies :sick: (5 weeks) vet has given us some medication to flush him out n see if he has any worms and she sed t feed him on just chicken or fish. But his bottom is really sore looking and i dnt think he is cleaning it dnt think he is old enough, my dog is licking his bum alot when im not looking, and im cleaning it with tissue and water after he goes but its very sore looking, just wondering if there is anything i can do to ease it?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 21:17:38 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Link to CatChat