Author Topic: Letting kitty out for the first time.... help!!!  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Letting kitty out for the first time.... help!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »
we enclosed ours for £100 from wickes if that is any better!

Offline ickle_becka

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Nico
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone!  :)

He's always hungry, so no worries about letting him out on an empty stomach!!  lol
I think, in a few weeks time after I've let him out on his harness a few times, I will let him out first thing on a saturday morning before breakfast (ours and his!). That way I have an entire day to look for him if he doesn't come back. Or the whole weekend if necessary, though I hope it doesn't come to that!!

I had a look at cat proofing the garden, and I don't really want to go down that route if I can help it. I don't think the neighbours will be happy with us putting up tall fences, and I don't like the idea of "enclosing" ourselves in like that - I'd feel trapped :( The net systems look good, but out of our budget unfortunately. If it can't be done for around £50 from B&Q, it ain't happening!!!!  :-[

He's settled in to the new house very quickly though, which is good :) We only moved him in on sunday evening, and he owns the place already!!! lol

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 22:01:54 PM »
Has anyone mentioned to make sure he goes out hungry; not on a full stomach?  ;)

...and first thing so that if you do need to go looking for him it will be in the light  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 21:51:45 PM »
Has anyone mentioned to make sure he goes out hungry; not on a full stomach?  ;)

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Elsie,Baby Blue,Dolly,Lilo,Marmalade, Oscar aka Ginger Ninja, Sweetheart (Raffles, Chappie, Chu Chi & Bonnie at Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 17:01:01 PM »
Hello

If you decide to let him out I would have him microchipped (if he isn't already), before you do.

Julie

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 15:39:44 PM »
He sounds fantastic but if you do a search on Cat proofing, you dont need that size fence which would be illegal anyway.

Offline ickle_becka

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 14:34:28 PM »
He's 3-quarters Siamese, and 1-quarter "oriental". Like a pure black Siamese in size and shape, I call him my little panther!!  :-[
The nature of his breed makes him very intelligent.

Cat proofing the garden would be almost impossible - it's a terraced house, and I don't think the neighbours on either side would be happy with the size of fences we'd have to put up to keep him in!! He jumps high, and climbs well. His favourite perch is often on top of doors that are left open, ready to bat at your head when you come in!!
So, I think I'd need 7-foot high steel panelling to cat proof the garden....... lol
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 14:35:32 PM by ickle_becka »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 14:22:21 PM »
What breed is your intrepid explorer?

Is there anyway you can catproof your garden

Offline ickle_becka

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 14:08:48 PM »
Hi Gill,
Thanks for your reply :)

Don't worry about him being forced out - he is very keen on exploring the big wide world, he always has been! Before we moved I used to let him out on his harness & extending lead, as you suggested, and he would have a whale of a time in the sunshine! This is partly why I am keen to allow him out now, as I know how much he enjoyed his "fresh air time" in the past.
He's an intrepid little explorer though, and when on his lead was forever trying to climb fences and getting stuck without enough rope... lol
I'm actually more concerned that as soon as the door is open he'll take the opportunity to make a bolt for it (he often tries!) and never be seen again... :-/ Sometimes I think he hates me....... lol

I have had some advice suggesting that he may not be "safe" out on his own as he's not streetwise, and that due to his breed he might be better kept indoors, but I feel very cruel keeping him cooped up as he's so very energetic & curious, and just wants to go out and hunt/play. (I was also "told off" for anthropomorphosising (sp?) his behaviour)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 13:21:12 PM »
No its not too late but let it be his choice, dont force him, he may not want to go out.

Definately let him get used to the new house and using a harness is a good idea.

If he was my cat and assuming he will wear a harness. I would attach an extendable lead to it and open the door an see if he wants to go out all by himself. If he doesnt then shut the door and let him get back to normal in the house.

I would try this a few times over the course of a couple of weeks but if he doesnt want to take the step into the outside, I would then accept he chooses to be an indoor cat.

Offline ickle_becka

• Kitten
Letting kitty out for the first time.... help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »
Hi everyone, I wonder if someone could help me with a query I have?

My cat, Nico, is around 5 years old. He's a siamese-oriental cross.
I've had him from a kitten, he's been neutered, is up to date with all his vaccines, and since I've had him he's been a house cat. I've always kept him in as I've always lived on really busy roads, and I didn't want anything to happen to him.
However, we've now moved to a much quieter area. I'd like to start letting him out as I think it will help him calm down a little - he can often be a bit psycho - but is it too late after 5 years of being indoors?? I'm worried that he's not "streetwise" and hasn't really ever had any interaction with other cats.
Next door have two female cats, and one was in our back yard last night. Nico was sat by the french doors staring her down (she gave up first!) and then he was up on his back legs pawing at the window and squeaking to go and see her.
He's a very dominant cat - definitely mummy's baby, but totally higher-ranking than my partner!! I'm worried he might not come back though

So, should I start to let him out or is it too late??? I'm going to give him a few weeks to get used to the new house, and also take him outside on his harness a few times to start putting some smell down in the back yard, hopefully this will help!
Any other thoughts/tips??

Thanks in advance!!!
xx

Link to CatChat