Author Topic: Fussy Eaters  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Re: Fussy Eaters
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 14:15:40 PM »
Little Miss was a nightmare when she came to me, she had been on the cheapest dry food available and the occasional pouch or tray of something equally cheap. I literally had to very slowly but surely wean her off the stuff!

I started by adding a little of the good dry food to her rubbish and gradually increased the ratios. With her wet I added the tiniest amount to her dry and mixed very well, again slowly adjusting the ratios. Now she wolfs down anything that's put in front of her, apart from fishy flavours.

I'm still working on getting her to eat raw though...............

(Just to say, in case any of you get excited, she's still M.I.A :()

So mine get JWB, Royal Canin, PAH own, Animonda Carny and Bozita (although admittedly we are having to go cheaper at the moment due to finances).

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 13:07:08 PM »

My two seem to have become addicted to Felix Good as it Looks and Sensations, do they put something in them that makes cats addicted do you think?. 

I've tried a variety of good quality food such as Almo, Applaws and Hi-Life as I am very concerned at the vague "meat & animal derivative" content of Felix, minimum %4 which means maximum 4.1% probably!!.  Izzy will eat Applaws chicken & cheese and they will eat Hi-Life Tuna at a push but turn their noses up at most other stuff, even fresh cooked chicken,, raw steak or mince.

They also eat Royal Canin Indoor/Skin & Hair & Light kibble which is good quality, they love it and I think it helps keep them in good nick.

Cashie is the worst, he is a junk food junkie, unless it comes out of a Felix pouch he isn't interested so I may have to be cruel to be kind & only offer the better quality foods.

They look well enough on it though, they are shiny, bright eyed, muscular with no fat on them, active, energetic, very regular (!) and generally chirpy little souls.

Having got myself into a Felix trap I would advise anybody to vary their cat's diet as much as possible to ensure nutritional balance as well as stopping them getting hooked on a particular brand.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 19:25:26 PM »
Mine eat mainly raw (ready made - or very occasionally now - homemade  ;) ) , sometimes Whiskas supermeat, sometimes PAH senior foil trays (the pate type ones). Very little dry, just as a treat, either Purina one sensitive, or Orijen.  :) I rotate the raw, so it might be beef & chicken variety,  rabbit, or turkey. I've never had fussy cats thank goodness! (although mine do tend to prefer the pate style foods) Plates go down, food is gone pretty smartish! - I don't free feed, so mine have always been used to scheduled (although not rigidly stuck to timewise  :innocent: ) mealtimes.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 18:16:17 PM »
My 2 boys are extremely fussy - the only wet food they will eat is tinned tuna, that's it - oh, and fresh turkey/chicken but they only get that if I get some leftovers from my Mum as I'm vegetarian but I do buy them the tuna.  They won't touch any of the wet food for cats and I've tried them on gravy/jelly.

So, they are mostly fed dry food and even they are very particular.   Their favourites are Pro Plan, James Wellbeloved and Go Cat, oh and the new Hill's vet essentials range (didn't like the other Hills food).

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 17:29:05 PM »
Cats can be so fussy. Algie had gourmet gold as he seems to like the smaller pieces now he has no teeth and Noodle has pro plan delicate dry as he has a bit of a sensative tum. Having said that I have quite a collection of assorted pouches and  tinned food as Algie does like to change his mind every so often  :-:  It may be that Gypsy just a preference for her food in either jelly or gravy or perhaps she prefers particular flavours, of course it could be that she is just making sure you know who is in charge  :evillaugh:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 17:28:26 PM »
our 10 year Polly apparantly used to eat anything as long as it was in jelly at her last home but here she refuses to eat most wet food. she'll eat Applaws if she is in the mood but mostly she won't eat anything except fresh tuna and chicken. luckily she will eat the James Wellbeloved dry food so we know she is getting enough vitamins and minerals.

when Mikey was with us he ate anything at all, especially Applaws. when he went back to his home, they said they couldn't believe how big he had grown- apparantly he barely ate anything with them.

so i don't know whether a change of scenery means they fancy something different or whether they just push their luck to see how far they can get. i wouldn't keep trying new foods or she'll come to expect it!

Offline sassybates

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Gypsey
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 17:14:06 PM »
so gypsey doesnt like sheba either  :Crazy:

Offline sassybates

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Gypsey
Fussy Eaters
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:06:58 PM »
I have a fussy eater  :Luv:
you wouldnt think she was only use to having one meal a day with cheap cat food in her last home ,as this little madame is now turning her nose up at whiskas  :wow: so today we have got her a sheba tray with fresh cooked chicken on top  :Luv:
what do you all feed your cats  ???
my other cat i had was more than happy with whiskas or felix with go cat indoor dry food all her life

:thanks:

Link to CatChat