Author Topic: HELP and ADVICE Please  (Read 1466 times)

Offline sassybates

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Gypsey
Re: HELP and ADVICE Please
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 16:12:29 PM »
we decided it was for the best if the posions all went today theyve been down for 7 weeks and theres been no sightings of mice for about 3 weeks and our pets helath and safety come first  :Luv:

Offline sassybates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 14:40:47 PM »
The posion is just in plastic dishes like you would put a hamsters food in for example so they can help themselfs
i have spoken to envriomental health today and theyve said that i should tell the pest control i want them to come back take the posion away and replace with tamper proof bait boxes that only a mouse can fit in
ive left them a message about a hour ago asking them to do do this asap
i was also told that in homes with pets they shouldnt leave the posion like that wheather is behind a cabenet or not
she proberly has been able to smell the mice that been there like you said Helen
xx

First thing to do is try and calm down, making yourself sick with worry is no good for you or the baby  :hug: You haven't put your pets life at risk at all, you went for a seemingly safe and sensible option of putting them behind the plinths, you weren't to know that Gypsy would try and get to it.

From how you describe it, it seems that she wasn't able to get to it any way but has attempted to? Is the poison on some sort of bait? Can you ask for a different type to be left? I know at work we have these little boxes that only a rat or mouse would fit in with the bait in so there's no real risk to any other animals. Maybe Gypsey could smell the previous mice you've had or the bait smells nice to her?

Hopefully glueing the boards in place will do the trick and you'll have no more problems  :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 14:30:24 PM »
I have to say I hate poisons. I lost a cat that ate a poisoned rat..... not a joke even if it does rhyme.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 14:50:33 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 14:22:31 PM »
First thing to do is try and calm down, making yourself sick with worry is no good for you or the baby  :hug: You haven't put your pets life at risk at all, you went for a seemingly safe and sensible option of putting them behind the plinths, you weren't to know that Gypsy would try and get to it.

From how you describe it, it seems that she wasn't able to get to it any way but has attempted to? Is the poison on some sort of bait? Can you ask for a different type to be left? I know at work we have these little boxes that only a rat or mouse would fit in with the bait in so there's no real risk to any other animals. Maybe Gypsey could smell the previous mice you've had or the bait smells nice to her?

Hopefully glueing the boards in place will do the trick and you'll have no more problems  :hug:

Offline sassybates

• Adult Cat
HELP and ADVICE Please
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 13:27:34 PM »
Hi all , as most of you are aware i have recently got a lovely rescue kittie ,and for the last few weeks i had the mice problem , well last week we got the all clear from pest control , but there policy is that any home whos has the infestation has to have posion left in a safe place for at least two years , obviously they know i have a dog and cat and am pregnant so theyve left it under the kick boards of the kitchen cabenets which we all agreed was very safe as it takes a adult to really pull it to get it off , anyway this morning we wake up to find that madame gyspey has clawed the panel so much that its come slightly lose , now we are pretty sure she wouldnt of been able to fit in the gap that was there to go near any posion at all , but i dont understand why she is so obsessed with getting there unless she has heard something or smelt something under there ( as far as we are aware the mice have all gone ) and she has her own food left out all the time so its not as if she would be trying to get to the posion either , ive rang the vet and shes said that i would know quite quickly if she has had anything , and to rethink about the whole matter now , either try and move or tell the pest control that you are just not happy about the posion being there anymore , in the mean time the kitchen is being shut off and i have someone coming round to glue the boards on the cabenets and i have to keep ,my eye on the cat , ive been sick twice where im so worried and upset and feel like  the worst person in the world right now aswell as dumb and stupid that i may have put my pets at risk  :(
can i ask you all to do me a favour?
give me your honest opinions please ? what would you do regarding the future of my home and the safety of my much loved pets ?and at the same time making sure i dont get the mice infestation back which some of the neighbours have had too
thanks in advance
 :thanks: sassy

Link to CatChat