Author Topic: we've taken in 5 week old kittens  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
Re: we've taken in 5 week old kittens
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 17:40:43 PM »
Happy to hear she is back to normal  ;D

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 09:25:05 AM »
I'm off to buy some kitten replacement milk today she had fresh chicken for her tea last night and some for breakfast it was soon eaten and a full tummy has been produced, poohs are now back to normal  :thanks:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 17:33:31 PM »
Glad the kitten is a bit better, but as Michelle points out the kitten would benefit from some of the mothers milk substitute as it is so young, perhaps you and your sister could get some between you for both of them.

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »
I stopped the kitten milk last night and her poos seem a tiny bit better and she drinks the water fine so fingers crossed it was the milk after all ;)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 16:56:14 PM »
I would stop giving the milk if it is not a mothers milk substitute and as others have said you have to be very careful with young kittens getting dehydrated from the diaorrhoea so a vet visit may be in order.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 16:48:03 PM »
it might be worth popping to the vet as they will have sensitive food  which may be easier for kitten to keep down

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 16:34:10 PM »
I think Whiskas kitten is much richer than Felix kitten. The chicken is OK to settle her tummy down with but long term it might be worth trying to switch him over but as Edd says you hae to be so careful with tiny kittens that they don't get dehydrated from the diaorrhoea  :hug:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
When chelsea had her kittens all those years ago, I gave her kittens coley mashed with replacement milk from the vets (at 3 weeks) and then mashed with water (4 weeks +). And then gradually mixing in kitten food with the coley.

Maybe the whiskas is too rich?

Of course that was a long long time ago- sure someone will be along with expert up to date kitten experience soon  :hug:

PS
Think you have to be very careful if young kittens have the runs and may need to be checked by a vet. They will also have special kitten food for kittens with upset tummies.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:48:02 PM by Edd, Reason: To add ps »

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
Re: we've taken in 5 week old kittens MINE HAS THE RUNS NOW
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »
These little mites are coming on great, but mine has had the runs for a few days now.I put her on whiskas kitten in jelly and whiskas kitten milk but this has given her the runs as she didn't have them the first few days after i took her in the kitten my sister too in was the same too.So we've changed to whiskas kitten loaf and mine still has the runs  :'( she's fine in herself so can i give her fresh chicken or tinned tuna to see if that will work or is she too young ??? and shall i just give her water and not the kitten milk?? HELP!!!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 17:51:08 PM »
Poor little things. Shame they couldn't have been kept together really, especially after leaving Mum too early.

Have you got kitten replacement milk MM ?
They would probably benefit from some as they are so young
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 17:52:29 PM by Michelle - »

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:51:27 AM »
The poor little mite she also brought friends along with her FLEAS   :-:
she loves the cat milk thankfully and we have to master pooing on the litter tray and not under my bed or radiator  :sick: we'll get there hopefully  :Luv2:

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 17:52:46 PM »
No these are different ones.I've been and brought some whiskas cat milk hope she can have it and whiskas kitten food

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Elsie,Baby Blue,Dolly,Lilo,Marmalade, Oscar aka Ginger Ninja, Sweetheart (Raffles, Chappie, Chu Chi & Bonnie at Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 16:38:41 PM »
Just wondering, are these the same ones?http://www.catchat.org/forum.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 14:45:32 PM »
Poor babies being taken away from their Mum  :( At least they've ended up somewhere where they're safe and will be cared for and loved  :hug:

You might need to help wean them if they're not eating solids fully yet, you can mix cat food with special cat milk (from the vets or PAH) to make a 'meaty milkshake' for them. Maybe make a little hot water bottle nest for him/her to snuggle up in too.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »
5 weeks that is terrible  >:(

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
we've taken in 5 week old kittens
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »
I took in two 5 week old kittens last night luckily my sister has taken one of them home.Cut a long story short my daughters friend had them for her boyfriend who can't take them, she was told by her parents they's have to go outside in a dog kennel until another home found >:( so i took them in.
The one i have is so tiny they both ate as soon as they came in the house and drank water and even used the litter tray.
As they are so young do we have to give them anything else??
I was told the person who bred them has 2 kittens left and is re-homing mum too i can't take anymore in as i have grumpy Casper and 4 other cats  :(

Link to CatChat