Author Topic: I think Jaffa might be going deaf  (Read 1234 times)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: I think Jaffa might be going deaf
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »
He definitely isn't louder.  If anything he's less vocal although there's not a big difference.  He's never  been the most talkative of cats but he can be a bit of a whiner when he thinks something (food, attention...) isn't coming as quickly as he'd like.  I'm a bit more relaxed in the early mornings now if he whines for attention as he's not sprayed the wardrobe for ages so I am happy to ignore any whining and before long he's back on the bed and settling down again.  I think that is having the desired result of less early morning whining.  There are certain noises I know he can hear but there are also times when I approach him from behind and touch him and he jumps a bit because he didn't know I was there.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 21:37:46 PM »
He will get louder if he is going deaf , so that he can hear himself.

Dont creep up on him cos one of the ways of him knowing whats happening is through vibrations.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
Well after much testing (including the hoover test!) I was convinced he was deaf.  However I've recently noticed him responding to some sounds so I don't think he's completely deaf.  But I think he has lost some hearing.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:41:24 AM »
I think it's very hard to know for sure because cats are so good at that selective deafness!  I am trying to make sounds behind him when he's not expecting it and so far mixed result - usually there is no response but sometimes there is and I'm not sure whether he's seeing or sensing me behind him or whether he is actually hearing.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 00:03:16 AM »
Nothing is definative cos Franta convinced a vet he was deaf and he wasnt.

Try doing a very loud clap behind him when he is not expecting it.

Sometimes hearing goes at certain frequencies, I have only 50% at higher frequencies in both ears.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
I think Jaffa might be going deaf
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 23:27:47 PM »
He doesn't seem to respond to being called these days (he always used to come when he heard his name - there was usually something in it for him and he knew it) and sometimes at night he doesn't come for his dreamies until he sees me holding them - he always used to come when he heard the drawer being opened.  I tried to test him tonight by rustling some papers right by his ears when he was asleep and there was no response at all - not so much as an ear twitch.  May have just been because he was in a deep sleep but he didn't respond to my clicking my fingers behind his head either when he was awake.  Are there any definitive tests to test for deafness?

Link to CatChat