Author Topic: Advice needed please!  (Read 2167 times)

Offline sassybates

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Gypsey
Re: Advice needed please!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 16:49:24 PM »
:Luv: I Have My Little Girly Home  :Luv:
shes so beautiful  :Luv: shes so tiny for her age 11months old but her head is the size of a 6 week kitten :Crazy: and her body is the size of around a 5month kitten but shes painfully thin you can feel her ribs and bones  :scared: :scared: shes been to my vet for a health check and she weighns in at 2.5kg which he said wasnt terribly underweight but she needs feeding up a bit , she love her food  ;D shes spent most of yesterday behind the wardrobe ,but today she has hid behind the bedside cabenet and has meowed for me to there and fuss over her lol i picked her up and had a good old cuddle  :Luv: I think shes scared of all the space she has now ,as shes spent the whole 11months of her life locked in one room on her own with filthy dirty tray and filthy dirty dishes that were never cleaned out and was only fed a tin which she shared with 3 other cats a day  :Crazy:
she had never been delfeaed or wormed either and her mother died when her and the siblings were 3 weeks old and they were hand reaered by the people who had them , maybe why she is so small now ? im not sure ,but give it a few months with us and she will be looking much better  :Luv: she now has two big trays to her self in different parts of the house ,she has clean dishes ,loads of food and treats and toys and a clean bed  :Luv:
i will upload some pics tommorow when i have more time
also had my last visit from pest cpontrol today and have been given the all clear , i had the carpets all cleaned and the whole house bleached and disifected and the holes sealed before we got the cat ,so i am hoping the mice will stay away now !

POSTED IN WRONG THREAD

Sorry

Offline sassybates

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Gypsey
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 16:48:13 PM »
 :Luv: I Have My Little Girly Home  :Luv:
shes so beautiful  :Luv: shes so tiny for her age 11months old but her head is the size of a 6 week kitten :Crazy: and her body is the size of around a 5month kitten but shes painfully thin you can feel her ribs and bones  :scared: :scared: shes been to my vet for a health check and she weighns in at 2.5kg which he said wasnt terribly underweight but she needs feeding up a bit , she love her food  ;D shes spent most of yesterday behind the wardrobe ,but today she has hid behind the bedside cabenet and has meowed for me to there and fuss over her lol i picked her up and had a good old cuddle  :Luv: I think shes scared of all the space she has now ,as shes spent the whole 11months of her life locked in one room on her own with filthy dirty tray and filthy dirty dishes that were never cleaned out and was only fed a tin which she shared with 3 other cats a day  :Crazy:
she had never been delfeaed or wormed either and her mother died when her and the siblings were 3 weeks old and they were hand reaered by the people who had them , maybe why she is so small now ? im not sure ,but give it a few months with us and she will be looking much better  :Luv: she now has two big trays to her self in different parts of the house ,she has clean dishes ,loads of food and treats and toys and a clean bed  :Luv:
i will upload some pics tommorow when i have more time
also had my last visit from pest cpontrol today and have been given the all clear , i had the carpets all cleaned and the whole house bleached and disifected and the holes sealed before we got the cat ,so i am hoping the mice will stay away now !

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 20:45:08 PM »
Sometimes if one cat is ill it can change their scent making the balance of things in the home change and the other cat to react badly.
It may be worth having the older cat checked for urine infection or something amiss which is makinh her smell different?
Just a thought and hope they settle down again very soon.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 19:36:06 PM »
I've heard of this before. Sounds like something really frightened the younger cat and the older cat just happened to be around at the time so she took it out on her - now she associates being scared with the older cat.

If that's what happened, your parents will need to separate them for a while and re-introduce them gradually, playing with them both gently and getting them to interact again.

You typed what I was thinking!

Hopefully the Feliway will help things along, I've never heard of the Vodka thing though  :Crazy: If she'll tolerate it your parents could try and clean her uo with some unperfumed baby wipes too.

Offline MaxnLola

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
I really appreciate all the advice given so far.

I've just rang my parents and apparently they're having some supervised play in the garage and the feliway is plugged in.

The younger cat keeps trying to snuggle up with the older cat, but the older cat keeps hissing and batting her away which is understandable due to her being so traumatised by her yesterday! The older cat is still smelling strongly of urine after wetting herself yesterday and although she has washed it's still lingering. My parents have been advised by the vet to rub their hands in vodka and stroke both cats as to neutralise the smell. They're up for trying anything!!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 12:03:33 PM »
I've heard of this before. Sounds like something really frightened the younger cat and the older cat just happened to be around at the time so she took it out on her - now she associates being scared with the older cat.

If that's what happened, your parents will need to separate them for a while and re-introduce them gradually, playing with them both gently and getting them to interact again.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
 :welcome: tp Purrs and sorry to hear of the problems between your parents cats  :hug:

This link may provide some ideas but Feliway is a very good start.  It does a take a while to kick in though.  Your parents may also want to try a month's course of Zylkene added to food which some people have had some success with......

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,14320.0.html

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/behavioural-training-aids-zylkene-tablets-c-198_427/zylkene-100-x-75mg-tablets-p-2094

Offline MaxnLola

• Kitten
Advice needed please!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
My parents 2 year old spayed female has started being aggrssive to their 13 year old spayed female. They have lived harmoniously together since they got the little one, but recently there have been a few incidents which are leaving both the cats and my parents upset. The recent incident where the 2 year old went for the older cat left the older cat cowering, crying and she wet herself.

My parents are deperately seeking a solution as they really don't want to have to rehome their little one. The cats were separated last night, but there was another altercation when together again this morning. My mum says they are both asleep on the sofa now though and my dad has got feliway to plug in hoping that it will help!

Has anyone got any advice that could help solve this for them?
Thank you!

Link to CatChat