Author Topic: kitten eye not opening?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: kitten eye not opening?
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 22:39:42 PM »
Hope he's perked up by now  :hug:

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 22:28:46 PM »
Hope the vet visit for your elderly boy goes OK  :hug:

thank you.  the vet thinks sooty probably just ate something nasty and got an upset tummy - and that its probably not connected to his thyroid issues.  i wouldn't be at all suprised - i think he's survived by raiding bins before he came into rescue, and the habit hasn't entirely left him.  he's going back for review and blood test next week though just to check where his thyroid levels are.  thankfully no further vomitting since the trip to the vets.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 23:11:41 PM »
Glad the eye turned out to be normal  :)

Hope the vet visit for your elderly boy goes OK  :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 18:30:15 PM »
I'd take the whole lot of them. If he does have bad eyes then vet may want to look at them all and mum too!

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 13:15:47 PM »
i'm delighted to say that after a couple of days of bathing it morning and evening pixie's eye is open and seems perfectly ok.  i'd booked him for a vets appointment for tomorrow morning but wasn't looking forward to having to give him such a big fright of being away from his mum like that.

now i can use the vet slot for my elderly hyperthyroid boy who is being sick +++ at the moment.  :sick:

i suppose with 13 cats in the house there's always going to be one of them causing some worries.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
you're doing the right thing by bathing it, sometimes they do get a bit stuck. However it is something to keep an eye on and if it doesn't look to be improving after a couple of days a vet check - as of course if the kitten starts sneezing or goes off its food, loses weight etc. With kittens her,e after the bad experiences we have had, its if in doubt - get too vet.
I don't know how much your vet charges and hopefully they will have a limited surgery tomorrow. At the end of the day I'd rather pay £30 for a 'wasted' visit than have an ill kitten or a worried fosterer plus the fact it is never really wasted as you always improve as a fosterer from a visit to the vet.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 00:28:57 AM »
i'm doing my damnedest to access training / experience / learning - but with limited success.  i'm sorry i tend to rely on this site for help .... but its the best source of advice i've got at the minute.

obviously we'll get him to the vet if needs be.  but don't want to pull him away from his mum at this age if we don't need to.  i just don't know what's normal for kits of this age.

Hey, don't be sorry  :hug: Of course it's hard to know what is 'normal' when you've never helped look after Mum & babies before  :hug:

Hopefully you'll be the expert in no time and the rescue will have their very own resident feline expert  :naughty:

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 00:22:17 AM »
thanks.  obviously the first point of contact is the rescue i'm fostering for.  but we're a very small rescue - they're mostly focused on dogs.  basically when it comes to cats there's one person who sorts out all the funding and home checks and organsing, my cousin who does the website, and me who does the fostering.  with a few other occasional fosterers.  none of us know a great deal.  i'm doing my damnedest to access training / experience / learning - but with limited success.  i'm sorry i tend to rely on this site for help .... but its the best source of advice i've got at the minute.

obviously we'll get him to the vet if needs be.  but don't want to pull him away from his mum at this age if we don't need to.  i just don't know what's normal for kits of this age.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 00:12:01 AM »
There was a similar query a while back, hopefully some of the answers might help but agree with Gill that if you're worried then best to check with the people you're fostering for  :hug:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,31473.msg565663.html#msg565663

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 23:38:45 PM »
Ask who you are fostering for, cos he may need checking by a vet  :hug:

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
kitten eye not opening?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 22:36:23 PM »
I'm fostering 4 kittens who will be 3 weeks old on sunday.  They came to me at one week old and more or less had their eyes open then.  However, now 18 days old one of them has one eye open like his litter mates but the other eye is still only half open.  The side near his nose is open as normal however the outer side of it is still closed.  Gives the impression of a small round eye rather than oval shape.  It doesn't look sore and its not gungy or runny.  I've bathed it in warm water and 24 hours on it maybe looks a little better (or maybe its wishful thinking). 

Not sure whether to worry or if there's anything else I can do to help.  Otherwise he seems as healthy and active as his litter mates.

Very grateful for any advice.

Link to CatChat