Author Topic: Worried sick about Karlo  (Read 8828 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Worried sick about Karlo
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 16:07:57 PM »
Any news today on little Karlo?  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 13:18:56 PM »
Only just catching up with this, poor boy I do hope that they sort out the problem soon sending get well wishes and gentle hugs   :hug:  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 22:08:22 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 21:08:20 PM »
I know it really is easier said than done but please try not to think the worst, Karlo is young and fit so is best placed to fight off whatever is wrong with him  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 21:02:30 PM »
Thanks all

We did lose a cat years ago to FIP Omar can't remember how many other cats in the house we had at the time but at least six and all of those were ok, so was aware how it works.       I know logically it is unlikely to be FIP but I think because we went through it with Omar and also because I suffer from severe depression and cry over nothing, when there is possibly something wrong I always look on the black side.   
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 20:46:28 PM »
Sorry to hear he's got a temperature  :hug: I'm sure, as the vet said, its just to rule out FIP - but there is no specific test for FIP itself - it will just be a test to see if there are antibodies to coronavirus (the virus that can, in some cases, cause FIP). Even if he is positive for coronavirus (and many cats carry the virus without any ill effects), it still doesnt automatically mean FIP though.  :hug: I had all this with Gwynnie, they were always moving towards a diagnosis of FIP because she had high coronavirus titres and because of the absence of another diagnosis, but she didnt develop FIP.  :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 20:32:57 PM »
Sorry to hear Karlo is poorly, it's awful waiting for test results, I hope he is soon on the mend and back home with you  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 16:46:17 PM »
I am sure it wont be FIP but they do need to find out what it is and sounds like they are looking after him well.

Sending lots of Get well vibes for Karlo, I knoiw hjow worring it is  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
Re: Worried sick about Karlo - Still not coming back from vet hospital
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 15:13:38 PM »
Thanks both

Just had an update from the vet.     His temperature has gone up despite being on AB.      They managed to do a scan and found that his lymph glands in his pancreas are swollen.        They have taken a urine sample to rule out a kidney infection.      He has been tested for feline leukemia and is negative.        They have also done the test for FIP, at which point I was beginning to get really upset but the vet said this is more to rule it out.     She says depending on what the results are they may have to do a biopsy.       

I'm so worried about my little man.        I know the vet said they want to rule out FIP but I am so worried it is that.    I can't stop crying
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 15:23:37 PM by cazzer »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 14:28:19 PM »
Sending healing vibes to little Karlo :care: :get well:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 14:19:22 PM »
I hope they can relieve the gas cos sure that very painful and hope he can come home today  :hug: :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »
well my little man is still at the vet hospital.     Yesterday they did a scan/xray and found nothing untoward that they could see.      However they couldn't do his pancreas as it was so full of gas.       They are going to try again today hoping that the gas has moved along a bit.       So they do think it is pancreatis which is a worry as it can reoccur and also can be extremly serious.     Hoping he can come home today

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 16:58:21 PM »
Sending healing vibes to little Karlo, hope they can find out what's wrong with him and get him on the mend and home ASAP  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 16:53:38 PM »
Keeping fingers crossed they can find out what the problem is  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 16:36:07 PM »
Hope he will be ok and its something treatable, such a worry though  :hug: With my Gwynnie, it was her back legs, she started limping on one, then almost overnight she'd lost the use of both back legs - but slowly regained use - and you've seen what a strapping girl she is now!  ;)

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 15:25:22 PM »
well I spoke to another vet this morning who was of the opinion that his abdomen was ok.      He said they would wait for the pain relief to wear off and if he was still ok in the abdomen he could come home.

However, just spoken to the vet who I spoke to yesterday and she says now the pain relief has worn off he is very uncomfortable again.       She is therefore going to do the scan/xray to eliminate foreign bodies etc.      Apparently he is still being a complete tart and wanting belly rubs.      My poor little man  :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 22:01:01 PM »
Hope that what ever he has can be cured and I understand so much about one being away..........its so ridiculasly quiet here.........sendong loads mopre goos wishes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 20:32:27 PM »
thanks both.      Hopefully the vet is right it is pancreatis [which I accept can be very serious] the pain will have gone down and he'll be allowed home tomorrow.      If it hasn't not and he needs the scan etc the worry is that the little beggar has swallowed something he shouldn't have and may need surgery.    I do have to remember not to leave paperclips and elastic bands lying around when working at home as most of the wegies will play with them given half a chance.       Just as well I went grey years ago!       

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 20:05:59 PM »
Sending lots of  :hug: your way Hun and lots of love, huggles and healing vibes for little Karlo - really hoping he makes  full and speedy recovery xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 19:09:35 PM »
I didn't realise they'd kept him in, hope he can come home soon  :hug: When Riley stayed in overnight it was horrible without him  :( Hope your other cats give you extra snuggles to try and make up for you missing him  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 18:44:38 PM »
Have spoken to the vet and she said that Karlo's blood results are normal with the exception of calcium and albumen which are both slightly raised but at the high end of normal. Due to the pain relief she had a better feel of his abdomen than the vet at my branch and says the pain is at the front of the abdomen, rather than everywhere which it seemed at my branch. She seems to think that it is pancreatis but she says due to bank holiday and only one place in the country testing for it she is going to have to wait to send off the sample. She is therefore going to treat him as though this is what he has got. She will reassess later and if he is still in pain then look at the scan and xray. Apparently he is being his normal cuddle bug self and was really laid back even watching them take his blood sample! Probably won't hear anymore now until tomorrow.

Feeling a lot happier now

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 15:42:32 PM »
thanks Liz actually he and his sister both had a bout of diarrhoea a couple of weeks ago.      It did clear up for both of them with meds.   A fecal sample was taken from his sister and I was told on Thursday it tested positive for campyrobacter.     

I'll ask about toxoplasmosis later if it isn't mentioned

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 15:28:39 PM »
Get them to test for Toxoplasmosis as it shares some of the same signs as FIP also Campobylactor can throw some of the symptoms to

Hope he is a bit happier with his injection
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 14:58:50 PM »
thanks both I'm glad that some people on here are thinking about him.     Find it very touching that you can be asking about him Gill when you are having such a difficult time youself.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 14:54:10 PM »
Am pleased to hear that FIP is very unlikely, hope the tests can get to the bottom of it and that he goes on to make a full recovery  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 14:12:07 PM »
Pleased they are going to fully check him out and hope they find the cause and its not serious  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »
thanks for asking after him

We've had to take him to the vet hospital, and only just back. The vet made him flex his back and legs and all seemed ok. Didn't appear to be any neurological problems or any pain when this was done. However he was the most wriggly cat I've ever seen when she was touching his abdomen, so she believes the problem is there. She gave him a shot of vetergesic to hopefully make him feel more comfy. The plan is for blood tests, scan and x-ray as necessary at the hospital. She said she thinks it is very unlikely that is FIP but she she said she wouldn't rule it out as a possibility either.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
I hope everything went OK  :hug: :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:42:14 AM »
thank you.    He's no better this morning.     Our appointment at vet is 10.00.      I'm in tears as I'm typing this.     I don't normally get so upset over them.     I worry yes but don't get like this.     

Offline lindac

• Adult Cat
  • Winnie[tabby]Suki[black&wh]Flash[white]RIP Lulu x
  • Slave to: Winnie, Suki, Flash
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 01:35:06 AM »
Good Luck at the vets with Karlo, hope it isnt anything serious :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 18:39:13 PM »
Really hope it's nothing untoward  :hug: Gillian's Gwynnie had something similar a few years ago but went on to make a full recovery.

Esier said than done but try not to worry and let us know how he gets on at the vets  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 17:52:31 PM »
thanks Gill.      I'm trying to convince myself that he isn't lethargic off food etc.        Already lost one cat to FIP Omar, Sassie and Oska's brother years ago and don't want to lose another.        Hopefully its just me being a worrywort [depression seems to make me see the worst case scenario with the cats].      I've lost count of the times I've thought i've posioned them, house sitter let one escaped etc!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 17:45:37 PM »
Sending best wishes for Karlo and hope there is an easy answer  :hug: :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
Worried sick about Karlo
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 17:33:11 PM »
Karlo my eight month old wegie is having difficulty walking.      He seems to be ok on the back legs but is having difficulty with his front.       He is crouching down at the front so he is walking similar to a cat whose is about to pounce all the time.      He doesn't appear to be in pain and doesn't appear to have any swelling.      I'm getting panicky [too much reading of internet sites perhaps?] that he has FIP.     Both he and his sister have recently had diarrhoea.      We had a fecal sample from Kaisa tested and it had campyrobacter.      We didn't have Karlo's done though.       Both kitten's diarrhoea has cleared up now.       The vet did say that he had a lot of gas in his abdomen when she saw him a couple of weeks ago.      She said that what one had the other was likely to have hence we didn't get his sample done.    He's going to the vets tomorrow.        In the meantime I'm worrying myself silly over my little lad.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 17:48:21 PM by cazzer »

Link to CatChat