Author Topic: Worms? Or Worse? :-(  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
Re: Worms? Or Worse? :-(
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 15:46:56 PM »
Any news on this?
I was thinking of blocked anal glands, too, but if so, the vet needs to look at it, or they will burst.
My rainbow cat Steffie used to have this, she never showed any pain or discomfort, unless you touched it, so the first few times we did not see it till she had a horrible open wound, because the thing had burst. There is nothing a vet can do at that stage, just give AB in case the wound got infected.
After that, we used to check on a recgular basis, and as soon as she seemed to develop a bump, we'd take her to the vet.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »
Well, I phoned and he rang back as he was not available at the time.

He doesn't think it sounds serious but obviously couldn't diagnose without seeing. It could be hard fur from discharge that dried.

He said to keep an eye on his behaviour and eating and if I had any concerns, ring back and if it was on a Bank Holiday there would be an out of hours number to phone. Plus phone on Tuesday anyway to update him.

My lad seems okay, so we'll just monitor him and see how he is.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 23:26:38 PM »
You need to worry the vet!

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 20:50:48 PM »
Had a closer look and it's actually just below his anus.

Will keep an eye on him as he's happy enough, but will speak to the vet.

EDIT: The hard white MAY just be his fur. I've just got a proper look while he lay asleep. Could his fur become hard just below his anus for any reason? It looks a little sore (anus) as he has been licking it.

I don't want to bother the vet if i'm over worrying and it's nothing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 20:57:48 PM by Miroslav »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 14:43:44 PM »
They need sorting at the vets but dont know if they can stop them recurring but vet will tell you.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »
They look white. It's hard to see though as he won't stay still to let me look.

If blocked anal glands, how can I help this heal/prevent it re-occuring?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 21:37:29 PM »
I would 99% say blocked anal glands.

Are these stumps dark in colour and one either side of his anal hole ?

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 19:33:06 PM »
Okay, i'll ask the vet rather than worm him again.

He had an off day last Saturday when for the first time ever he slept under the bed, rather than with me all night for all but the hour before I got up, but he was back to normal the next day.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 19:29:46 PM »
No dont worm again, it should only be done once a month I think, but check with vets

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 18:58:16 PM »
I think my vet is open Saturday. I did ask when I got his advocate earlier in the week and she said they were shut over Easter, but i'm sure she didn't mean Saturday.

He hates the journey though. He's okay when he's there, so would only go if really needed to normally.

I wormed him a couple of days ago, should I worm him again? Can you worm too much? I don't know if he's pooping as he shares his trays with my other cat and he's always been very sneaky about when he goes, apart from when he pees as he pees for Britain  :-:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 18:47:31 PM »
Our vets are open as normal on Saturday so if you are still concerned may be worth seeing if your vets is open x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 18:30:16 PM »
Like Angie says, if he's happy and eating then it probably doesn't warrant an out of hours vet visit. Could you maybe get an appointment on Saturday so you're not having to pay the emergency vets bank holiday charges?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 18:21:03 PM »
If you are worried its always best  to get a vet check cos in the end it will be only thing that will stop you worrying  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 18:18:55 PM »
I'm hoping it's nothing serious as he seems to be the happy chappy he normally is.

I came on here just to get some reassurances, although I appreciate I may take him to the vet anyway as i'm a worrier.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 17:04:24 PM »
blocked anal glands?

if he's acting normally not an emergency situation I'd have thought.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
Worms? Or Worse? :-(
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 16:58:50 PM »
Before I take my cat to the vet, I thought i'd ask here.

He has 2 stump like things seemingly sticking out of his bottom. They look like worms, but I think they are hard? He won't let me investigate close enough to find out much more.

I've wormed him and his behaviour is as normal. He's eating and being affectionate, occasionally licking his bottom.

I may need to take him to the vet, although it will be an emergency vet over Easter  :scared:

Anybody have any experience of this?
 :thanks:

Link to CatChat