Author Topic: Best flea treatment for ferals  (Read 1503 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Best flea treatment for ferals
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 21:57:15 PM »
I have a feral, Chubby, who sleeps under my bed, alongside 5 resident domestic cats. Chubby is in/out but is unhandlable, although he is on fair terms with the furry gang. I give him a Capstar tab every few weeks, crushed in his food, to clear any fleas, the rest of the clan are on Frontline topical, so this protects them, the house and Chubby and does seems to work really well.

Capstar is available on-line from VetUK and many other outlets, but it doesn't provide any ongoing protection for Chubby, just kills the fleas on the cat at the time of treatment.

I also use a flavourless granular wormer in wet food that seems to be palatable. This means I can keep up with Chubby's welfare without the trauma of trapping and vet visits.

It works for us, but may not be everyone's preferred method.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 19:14:27 PM »
Profender is a liquid for the back of the neck and covers tapeworm and thats what we do on our unhandlables - our unhandlables are all ferals boys having beeen caught later in life who share our home as house cats
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 16:22:02 PM »
Thanks for the tip cute cat - they both do like their food so that might be a go-er ... did it work do you think?

Yes, seemed to work alright.  Worth a go I think.  :)

Offline kathleen21

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Calvin and Hobbes
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 23:50:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip cute cat - they both do like their food so that might be a go-er ... did it work do you think?

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 23:47:49 PM »
I've managed to flea treat 2 ferals who came close enough.  Used a spot-on treatment on the back of their necks whilst they were eating without restraining them!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 21:06:26 PM »
Nearly all flea treatments mean handling the cat - we use Program injections on our ferals each one last 6 months and we put them in to a crush cage - we corner the ones we can't get to close to without us getting serious damage and us Profender on them

Some people use Lavender as a natural treatment may be worth planting some next to some catnip plants so they can roll about in both of them
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline kathleen21

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Calvin and Hobbes
Best flea treatment for ferals
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 20:44:21 PM »
Hiya

Has anyone got any vieew on the best flea treatment for cats who can't be handled.  I'm looking after a couple of semi feral cats who have made their home in my garden.  I've wormed them - but not treated them for fleas yet.  Its only in last few days I've noticed them scratching.  I need an effective flea treatment which doesn't require them being handled.

Link to CatChat