Author Topic: Kitten worming  (Read 1664 times)

Offline kathleen21

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Kitten worming
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 19:56:58 PM »
Hi Liz

Am really interested in your experience of looking after outside ferals - I am new at looking after 2 semi-ferals (a cat and kitten) who turned up in my garden.  Mum is friendly - though not great at being handled; but the little kitten is v scared of us.  We are getting them an outside shelter built and are committed to looking after them ... but I spend all my time being worried sick about them ...

I think I am just being a newbie neurotic cat person ... with them being outside ferals - i feel like I've got all the worry without some of the control over their well being.  Does it wear off??  Any tips to giving them the best chance you can? :thanks:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 00:33:05 AM »
We use programme Plus injections twice a year on all our cats except our 3 darling unhandlable ferals Masters Ace, Blue and Riley who get cornered and Profendered and parents wear welding guantlets and full body armour :rofl:

We use Millibex and large Drontal as some of our boys are 7 and 8 kgs at full furryness and we keep a spreadsheet as to how they were wormed as ferals can be quite untrusting if they think you are giving them if something is not normal - I have 25 ferals here at the Clan ranging from nasty to nice

I use Panacur granules in wet food for my outside ferals and it seems to work they are also trapped once a year just to check they are all well and if they are on a good day we pop them to the vets in the trap where they are knocked out and given the once over a quick Program and booster - some let us trap them others don't!!! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Smudge
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 19:18:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies  :)

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »
We use Milbemax wormer and it has seemed gentler on the tummy than some other we had used.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 22:36:05 PM »
This is a good link for info on worms in cats although a bit gross  :sick: ;)

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/worming/info.html

Quote...

"It should therefore be assumed that any cat infected with fleas also has tapeworm, and vice versa"  Cats pick up fleas from their prey when hunting and eat already infected prey, hence the link between hunting and worms.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 22:38:28 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline kathleen21

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 16:45:17 PM »
Thanks for the advice Michelle about brands - there is a lot to learn for a newbie human to a cat!!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 14:47:35 PM »
Hi,

Worming tablets only kill what worms the cat has at that time - they don't continue to work!
Cats pick up worms from eating birds and mice so if your cat eats alot of these she will need worming regularly. Its best to ask advice from your vet....and only use products from them too (Although Drontal is available cheaper online now)
Please don't use Bob Martin or any other supermarket brand 

Offline Rafflesmoore

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Elsie,Baby Blue,Dolly,Lilo,Marmalade, Oscar aka Ginger Ninja, Sweetheart (Raffles, Chappie, Chu Chi & Bonnie at Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 13:33:22 PM »
I don't have kittens but my vets also recommends worming every 3 months, which I do.

They strongly recommend it if you have children living with them, which I do.

Offline kathleen21

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 13:16:49 PM »
Hiya

Am interesting in the Souffle's comment about worming more often when cats are catching things.  I am in process of adopting two stray cats who appeared in my garden.  there is a cat (about 12 months) and her kitten (about 4/5 months).  We are feeding and looking after them now - though they are not fully indoors cos kitten is still v scared.  But the mum (Calvin) is still killing birds regularly - it depends if I can get them off her quick enough or she and kitten will eat them.

Should I be worming them more regularly?  And how regularly is safe?

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 13:04:20 PM »
Our vet suggests every 3 months after they reach 6 months.
Our kittens have only started going out though but when they start catching things they may need done more often possibly?
Have you changed his diet or anything? He may be ready for adult food now. Ours are on adult now at 8 months.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Smudge
Kitten worming
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »
How often should I worm my kitten, he's 6 months now & has been wormed twice with tablets from the vet, last time was about 2 months ago, & which tablets should I use & where would I get them?
Also his poo has been a pale yellow colour for the last couple of weeks, he's fine in himself, should I be worried? I was going to phone the vet for advice on Monday. Thanks  :shy:

Link to CatChat