Author Topic: Cat spraying in neighbours house  (Read 1530 times)

Offline kerri86

• Senior Cat
  • Tinks and Davey's mum!
  • Slave to: Davey & Tinker
Re: Cat spraying in neighbours house
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 16:44:08 PM »
I was unsure of getting my 9 month old neutered when I first got him. After a few months of having him though I had no option but to get him done because he was spraying anywhere and everywhere. He's never done it since that and he's calmed down a lot too.

The vets said to keep him in for few hours in case he was still drowsy but when I got him home he was absolutely fine. He had his dinner and then kept me company in the back garden for a bit.

So seriously, the neutering is probably one of the best things for both you and your cat (and the neighbours) lol!

The fact that he is spraying doesn't mean there is anything wrong with him necessarily. He's marking his territory which is common, especially in males. Davey literally sprayed everything - curtains, on my bed, walls, his bed, clothes - you name it! The house smelled awful! Not anymore though thankfully lol x
<3 Tinks   xxXxx
<3 Davey xxXxx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:56:40 PM »
he sounds great, all cats should be neutered really anyway to stop over population so it can't harm!

Offline Shelley

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tibs & Ginger
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »
to be fair he is the most chilled out cat I know, if you look at pick of him, this is what he is like 90% of the time, which is why I cant understand whats going on with him :-:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:41:02 PM »
he will probably be more chilled out after the op as well so he might be more laid back about everything

Offline Shelley

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »
Thanks, looks like neutering might be the answer. Ginger gets on with Tibs, but Tibs hates Ginger!
Its been all quiet for a few days so hoping he might settle down again,  He's never done anything like this before.
We had another neighbour complain her dog jumped over the fence after him, and what do dogs do, they chase cats!!!
Think we being blacklisted in village! Such fun - LOL

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:09:49 AM »
with boys the op is so small I'm really not sure you'd need to keep him in to recover, being unneutered is a prime reason for spraying

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 21:25:34 PM »
Can I ask what makes you say he doesn't like being indoors? I'm wondering because you also said he's breaking IN to someone elses house.... :innocent:

Does he not get on with Tibbs?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 20:11:45 PM »
You still havent answered the question I asked LOL

Male cats luckily get over the op very quickly and once the anesthetic has worn off you should be able to let him out. Just tell the vet that he needs to be done early as possible so you can set him free again when he gets home.

The bigger problem is not feeding him the night before but maybe he could stay at the vets overnight, this is what I do with my semi feral lady if she needs an anesthetic.

Offline Shelley

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 19:48:35 PM »
He is only ginger Tom on our lane. As he not like inside I can't keep him to recover after being neutered!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 16:27:27 PM »
neutering will help

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 16:24:29 PM »
This may be a daft question but how did the neighbours know it was him, did they see him?

Offline Shelley

• Kitten
Cat spraying in neighbours house
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 16:22:56 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site, so please bear with me if I write war and peace!
Ginger my tom cat has suddenly taken to going into a neighbours house and spraying in their kitchen. He broke through their cat flap in the early hours of the morning. Needless to say my neighbours aren't very happy.
Ginger has not been neutered, we adopted him a few years ago after finding him hanging around outside. He does not live inside, preferring to be outside. Think he could be around 10. 
The only change we have since is two stray kittens which appeared during the big freeze, so wonder if this is the problem, but they have now been rehomed. We also have a female cat, Tibs who is 14.
Any ideas as to why he is suddenly doing this, he does not spray in our house!
Thanks

Link to CatChat