Author Topic: FIP Harvey just diagnosed  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: FIP Harvey just diagnosed
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 19:40:16 PM »
Sending positive vibes for Harvey  :hug:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 18:04:49 PM »
Hi, Harvey looks a darling and reminds me much of Ozzi they have similar markings ;D. I dont know much about FIP so have no advice but just wanted to add my best wishes and hope all went well at the vets and that the interferon will give you some more quality time together.  :hug: :hug:

Andrea

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 14:58:44 PM »
Fingers and everything else crossed for you and Harvey  :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 13:36:59 PM »
Just sending best wishes and to treat every day as special  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 12:58:32 PM »
Nothing useful to add, just hope you can enjoy lots of quality time together :hug:

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 08:45:28 AM »
We're off to the vets later to start the interferon as the vet is willing to give it a try. I'm scared he'll think Harv isn't fit enough which is making me anxious but I'll just have to see what happens. I can do the injections as I'm a nurse and we'll give in a week and see if there's any improvement.

Fingers crossed for us please  :thanks:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 17:19:15 PM »
Sorry to hear that  :hug: Why would your vet say no to interferon? surely if you want to try it, its up to you, you will be paying for it after all, and as you say, if there's a chance.  :hug:

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 16:40:35 PM »
Thanks for your support and replies. My home laptop is being a pig so that's why the delay is me replying.

Yes he has has corona titre levels done and they were positive. He's been treated for toxoplasmosis with antibiotics as that was an option. The vet said he was just too well for too long for it to be FIP but now he's got the typical abdominal bloating with an aspiration of straw coloured fluid with high protein levels (of 60g, well above the 35g level indicative of FIP) so it's fairly conclusive I am sad to say.

I've read about interferon and have asked the vet to ring me to discuss this as an option as I want to feel I've explored all avenues. I fear he'll say a straight no which makes me both sad and a little angry as I want to give my boy every chance.Maybe I'm trying for the false hope thing I don't know but any chance is worth it in my book.

He's pretty much isolating himself as he truly can't be ar*ed with the others at the moment bless him  :Luv2:  Gotta love my bolshy boy.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 20:22:46 PM »
I lost a little seal point boy Omar to it years ago.     It was an awful time as that night we had to have him and and another cat put to sleep.     We had previously had another pts a week before and another about two weeks later.    The other three were due to their kidneys.        I can't remember how many other cats we had at the time but at least 5 others and all of those were fine.      I didn't get them tested either.
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 20:01:53 PM »
Gillian, it was awful that I couldn't bring Tiger home and put him next to his 'brother' Simba in the garden  :'( I did the only thing I could do, brought his collar home, dug a little hole under Simba's gravestone and put Tiger's collar in it. Of course I know that not having his body makes no difference as he will always be with me in spirit in fact the last time I saw my psychic lady she told me she saw a cat fitting Tiger's description around me so I know he's there.  :Luv:

I'm glad to hear there is more research being done into FIP. It's such an awful disease.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 20:02:27 PM by Tigerlily (Allison) »

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 19:27:04 PM »
Will be interested to see what comes out of the symposium

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 17:52:49 PM »
He's already had contact with other cats in the household, so there is no point in isolating, in all probability blood tests would show that the others have coronavirus antibodies anyway - doesnt mean they will get FIP. Coronaviruses are so common (in humans too - they cause the common cold) - a high number of cats carry the virus without any signs or symptoms (if we had all our cats tested i'll bet there will be a high proportion showing positive - especially multi cat homes).

Gwynnie had high coronavirus titres at 6 months old (and she was very poorly at the time) - she's nearly 4 now. She had already mixed with the others on a daily basis, I never had any of the others tested. She didnt develop FIP (even with very high corona titres), and nor did any other the others, although I expect some of them would have shown antibodies to corona at the time).

They insisted on doing a post-mortem to establish that it was FIP and when it was proved that it was I wasn't allowed to take him home to bury him as they said even with him being under the ground the risk of the disease spreading was too great  :(

Thats terrible Alison   :hug: and shows just how much misinformation there is about FIP  :(
Incidientally, apparently there is some new Winn Foundation research into FIP to be announced and also some success stories with treatment for FIP - there's a short video here with feline expert Dr Susan Little http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/steve-dale-pet-world/2011/04/dr-susan-little-with-the-latest-on-fip.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 14:27:23 PM »
Yes you are right about contact Michelle but I dont think that Gillians response confuses anything as it is correct.

If vets or others give incorrect information that is what is confusing and as soon as they start explaining and giving the correct info then that will be the better for all.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 14:07:45 PM »
I'm totally confused about this shedding the virus thing. Basically he's had this now for about 3 months before the definitive diagnosis has been made so the others have been at risk without me knowing it anyway.He was booked for a heart scan tomorrow because the vet had picked up quite a significant heart murmur and thought that was what was causing the weight loss and lethargy.The bloated abdomen only started last thursday which gave the last FIP jigsaw piece really :(

Firstly, he won't be shedding FIP - he will be shedding coronavirus, cats don't 'catch' FIP, they 'catch' the coronavirus - which MAY (in rare cases) mutate into FIP. Many cats carry coronavirus without it ever causing any problems.

OK, thats another way of putting it  :)
 But still basically he should be kept away from the other cats in the household
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 14:25:59 PM by Michelle - »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 13:04:42 PM »
One thing to remember is that the vets can insist as much as they like on a postmortum but its up to you, they are only really wanting to prove how clever they are in making the right diagnosis.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
Hi Kats

I'm so sorry to hear about Harvey  :'(

I lost my Tiger to FIP at only a year old. Once his tummy swelled the end came very quickly  :'( It broke my heart to see my beautiful boy in such an awful state. To begin with the vet wasn't entirely sure it was FIP as he said that liver problems could cause very similar symptoms so they kept him at the vets for a week to monitor him but in the end there was nothing more they could do for him and he was PTS.

They insisted on doing a post-mortem to establish that it was FIP and when it was proved that it was I wasn't allowed to take him home to bury him as they said even with him being under the ground the risk of the disease spreading was too great  :(

Gillian, is quite right when she says that cats don't catch FIP, it's the corona virus they pick up. After Tiger's death I had to have Lily tested and she proved positive but never developed FIP all the years that followed.

My thoughts are with you at this tough time  :hug:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 21:07:21 PM »
I'm totally confused about this shedding the virus thing. Basically he's had this now for about 3 months before the definitive diagnosis has been made so the others have been at risk without me knowing it anyway.He was booked for a heart scan tomorrow because the vet had picked up quite a significant heart murmur and thought that was what was causing the weight loss and lethargy.The bloated abdomen only started last thursday which gave the last FIP jigsaw piece really :(

Firstly, he won't be shedding FIP - he will be shedding coronavirus, cats don't 'catch' FIP, they 'catch' the coronavirus - which MAY (in rare cases) mutate into FIP. Many cats carry coronavirus without it ever causing any problems.

Secondly, I wonder if the bloated abdomen, weight loss and apathy are related to the heart murmour anyway, and nothing to do with FIP? I presume he's had a blood test which confirms positive coronavirus titres? Do you know what his titres are?

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 20:25:15 PM »
So sorry for the diagnosis, we lost a rescue Mum and 3 of her kittens to FIP and have the remaining kitten Miss Beijing who is a Corona virus carrier

Afraid he must be kept  seperate from the others as the disease goes for young cats and oldies

I would also ask the vet to test for Toxomasplosis as the symptons are very similar to FIP = we kept Gem happy safe and warm surrounded by love for a further 8 weeks after her diagnosis and them=n helped her to the Bridge it is a horrible disease and we miss Gem every day and of course her darlings Star, Cairo and Shanghai but are so blessed to have baby Beijing xx
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 19:39:21 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Harvey and Jemina  :hug: :hug:

I second what Michelle said about FIP just a terrible  terrible diseease.

Here is the link to the best info on FIP

http://www.dr-addie.com/

I wish I could help more  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 18:29:33 PM »
Thanks.

Much as I even dread to think about it I suppose they've been horribly exposed already.God alone knows where he picked it up from.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 18:10:45 PM »
so sorry to hear about poor Harvey and Jemima.      Hope you get more time with them than you think  :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 18:08:11 PM »
Oh No ......I am so so sorry  :'(
Bloody FIP I hate it

I am sure others will give you the correct advice if I'm wrong .....but I think I am right in saying that he will be shredding the virus so really needs to be kept apart from your other cats.

I hope he has more time left then you are thinking, poor little darling

Sending you a huge  :hug:

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
FIP Harvey just diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 17:30:11 PM »
Hi all,

I've not been around for ages and sorry to post a sad and needy post :(

I wrote this out but somehow it got lost in cyberspace and I can't do it all over again.suffice to say my baby Harv has been diagnosed with FIP and I'm in bits.Jemima one of my oldies has a benign liver tumour and she's just started deteriorating too so it's a double whammy.She's done amazingly well till now so for her it's all been a bonus but losing two in quick succession is going to be just awful.

I know you guys will get 'it' in a way few others do,because you know cats are part of our families.I'm struggling and don't want to get it wrong for Harv. He's not at the pts point yet but I don't think we're far off :(

Oh bu**er why does it hurt so much.He's only 3,and was in a dreadful state when I found him,he deserves more years of pampering and being spoiled.

Here's the boy  :Luv2:

Link to CatChat