Author Topic: Plasma Cell Pododermatitis experiences/treatments?  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Plasma Cell Pododermatitis experiences/treatments?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 22:36:34 PM »
We had another little lad on here a few years ago called "google" who had the same condition ....here is his thread: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,2192.msg37075.html#msg37075
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 22:15:25 PM »
Thanks for the link Julie. I had seen it before when initially researching what Custard's paw could be before the biopsy. The search engine wasn't working for me today so I couldn't find it again. I've book marked it now though. Custard has only the one paw affected which apparently is unusual. They also haven't ruptured but more like a puffy pad, hence the common name for the condition 'spongy pad', although obviously we don't want it to get to the stage where it becomes like poor Noah's pads. Would be interesting to know what steroids he was treated with. I will try to get in touch about his case.

Thank you,
Clare x

I am Noah's slave now. :Luv: Unfortunately I can't help much other than to tell you that my dear boy has not had a recurrence in the year I have had him and was proclaimed thoroughly healthy at his last check up! I do have the name of Noah's vet at the time of treatment somewhere in my filing system the chest of doom, but I don't think I ever supplied that to our current vet so not sure if the notes have been matched up. I am mid way through a major clear out in the flat and the chest of doom is on my hitlist so will post again if any paperwork appears.

AFAIK the veterinarian that treated Noah was the Adel CP regular vet but the branch closed, so I suspect it will be easier to get hold of Jen from Wharfedale CP who posts here on Purrs, or try Leeds Feline Friends who some of the Adel volunteers set up. I haven't the foggiest what privacy legislation is in place for veterinary treatment, but if you need my written permission to access notes I would be happy to oblige.  :shy:

I am not sure if there is a connection but Noah had a bad reaction to his last set of vaccinations, and also has a sensitive digestion/ doesn't seem to process grains or tuna well ( :sick: ) . As I work in human healthcare I have gone the route of a carnivorous diet avoiding grains - raw meat and raw offal, Bozita for the beta-glucan, Pets at Home Purely oily fish variants for omega-3, VIYO milk for prebiotics, Orijen for probiotics. There is a strong body of evidence of the connection between diet and health in humans, I see no reason why it is not the same for other mammals.

:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »
Got no knowledge of this condition ....

But I do feel that sometimes we know our cats best (its often been said on here before) so I'd been inclined to see a different vet.
I know how expensive Interferon is as I've been looking at Alpha for my cat :(

Hope you manage to get something sorted xxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 02:16:25 AM »
Sorry no knowledge but would definately go and speak to another vet  :hug: :hug:

Offline smeagol

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Batfink, Marmite, Smeagol, Custard & Chugnut
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 18:40:26 PM »
Thanks for the link Julie. I had seen it before when initially researching what Custard's paw could be before the biopsy. The search engine wasn't working for me today so I couldn't find it again. I've book marked it now though. Custard has only the one paw affected which apparently is unusual. They also haven't ruptured but more like a puffy pad, hence the common name for the condition 'spongy pad', although obviously we don't want it to get to the stage where it becomes like poor Noah's pads. Would be interesting to know what steroids he was treated with. I will try to get in touch about his case.

Thank you,
Clare x
Clare and the furry hoard, Batfink, Marmite, Smeagol, Custard and Chugnut xxx

At my Mother's: Amber and co.

Not forgetting those passed: Hamish, Python, Monty, Carmen, Crystal, Salem, Abigail, Smokey, Pixie, Scampi, Squidly, Giblet, Rhubarb and Spider

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 18:25:29 PM »
Not personally but a rescue on this board had Noah with the same condition.  ;)

Here is his story...

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,22570.150.html

Offline smeagol

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Batfink, Marmite, Smeagol, Custard & Chugnut
Plasma Cell Pododermatitis experiences/treatments?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 18:20:41 PM »
Hi,

I wonder if I can ask for peoples thought and experiences please? Some background information:

Custard, who is a 4 year old spayed moggie has been diagnosed with a round cell tumour on her pad that is most likely Plasma Cell Pododermatitis (which is ver rare) according to her biopsy report.

Links about the disease for those interested:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_plasma_cell_pododermatitis.html
http://www.felipedia.org/~felipedi/wiki/index.php/Plasma_cell_pododermatitis

She has a history of cat flu as does her brother (Smeagol) who had an unknown (FIV & FeLV negative) autoimmune disease two winters running that also affective his pads. His was resolved with steroids each time and so far hasn't come back - this will be his second year if he gets through this winter without it.

According to my reading Plasma Cell Pododermatitis has been linked to the cat flu virus FHV so it's quite likely this is the root cause. I'm thinking that a similar steroid (Prednisolone most likel) treatment may help which seems to echo biopsy report and the reading I've done. My vet however says we could leave it and see what happens as sometimes it can disappear after 2-3 months. Well she has had symptoms for at least that long now so I don't think that's an option. The other suggestion is Doxycycline, which has a 30-50% chance of helping. He also mentioned Interferon-O which he sort of disregarded because it's so expensive. Yes, it's expensive but if that's what she needs, she needs it. However, I can't find much to say how successful the drug is. I don't see why we can't use Doxy and Pred bearing in mind her cat flu history and her brother's history. I am to call the vets on Tuesday to discuss it. The other problem I've got is the vet isn't easy to talk to. He has quite a strong accent and his English makes it difficult sometimes so he seems to shout to overcome this, which really doesn't help. I'm thinking of taking the biopsy report to another vet as I've heard there is one with a keen interest/knowledge base in Oncology.

I wondered if there were any others that have had experience with Plasma Cell Pododermatitis?  I know this is a rare condition so probably not very likely but you never know until you ask.

Thanks,

Clare & Custard xx
Clare and the furry hoard, Batfink, Marmite, Smeagol, Custard and Chugnut xxx

At my Mother's: Amber and co.

Not forgetting those passed: Hamish, Python, Monty, Carmen, Crystal, Salem, Abigail, Smokey, Pixie, Scampi, Squidly, Giblet, Rhubarb and Spider

Link to CatChat