Author Topic: Fatty/Skinny! - (edited) tips/hints welcomed for 2 very different eaters!  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Fatty/Skinny! - (edited) tips/hints welcomed for 2 very different eaters!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 02:24:09 AM »
That's a good idea, only thing is she isn't that keen on biscuits (unless they are the treat variety  :evillaugh:)

I don't want to buy a big bag for them to just go to waste... I might see if my vet has some samples for me to try

Thanks Trigger  :hug:

I e-mailed loads of cat food manufacturers before I got Noah and had a really positive result - I ended up with ~3kg of kibble absolutely free IIRC.  :wow: The dry food that will be the highest in useable calories/ nutrition will be a high meat and grain free formula such as Applaws, Orijen, Fish4cats, Pets at Home Purely (70% only), Porta21 (sensible only).

The alternative could be to try some smellier food like slightly warmed sardine cat food (e.g. Pets at Home Purely 156g tins) or tuna flavoured. If she only eats the jelly, maybe mash the meat into the jelly? Some picky cats go crazy for raw and Cooper wouldn't be able to bolt bone in meat.  :sneaky:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Re: Fatty/Skinny! - (edited) tips/hints welcomed for 2 very different eaters!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
I would try giving Peanut extra small meals when you know Cooper is out or asleep.  My girl tends to lick the jelly/gravy off and then come back for a proper meal an hour or so later.  Luckily her brother is often out!

If Peanut only tends to eat the jelly, it might be worth trying another brand as she might prefer the meat in that.

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
That's a good idea, only thing is she isn't that keen on biscuits (unless they are the treat variety  :evillaugh:)

I don't want to buy a big bag for them to just go to waste... I might see if my vet has some samples for me to try

Thanks Trigger  :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
could you slip her some good quality dry kitten food when Cooper isn't around? it is high calorie so even if she only eats a bit it will give her overall intake a boost

and being dry you can put what she leaves to one side and try again later
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
I will gladly try anything, I just don't want to cause any health issues with Peanut because I think she is really skinny as it is and would hate it if I made her worse...

If you think she'll be okay, I will be more strict with set meal times and see how it goes for a week

:scared:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting

So if I remove the food, she won't have eaten until I try again later on that day.

Hmmm, difficult when you've got one like that. Does she do the same in the evening? I wonder if you tried it and see if maybe she would get into a routine? just a thought.

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
What bothers me with that, is that when I feed them in the morning, Cooper tucks in but Peanut has a lick and then walks off and goes back to bed  :shify:

So if I remove the food, she won't have eaten until I try again later on that day.

The only time I've really see her get stuck in and eat plenty was when I first brought them home (which you'd think would be the opposite!!!  :Crazy:)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I think scheduled mealtimes are the best way to see who's eating what, rather than leaving food down. I feed mine morning, evening and bedtime - and I stand and watch the proceedings!  :evillaugh: They don't get food in between times, except what they might pinch off my plate!  :sneaky:

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Fatty/Skinny!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
It's a tricky situation, making sure that she eats enough. Whatever is left from what Cooper has demolished, I know that poor Peanut won't get a look in cuz he'll come back down and polish it off  :evillaugh:

I think I shall have to make a point of feeding her bits of chicken/fish from my hand rather than leaving a bowl of food down. It's okay when I'm at home, cuz I can keep an eye on who's eating what, but goodness knows what'll happen when I'm at work  :scared:

If anyone has any handy tips on how to deal with 2 cats who eat differently - they'd be gratefully received!  ;)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Fatty/Skinny!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
Not sure hun, I know that females are generally smaller though?

I've no idea how much Pooty weighs, but Max was a big lad, he was 5.5kg, think he was nearly 6kg at one point!!!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
Fatty/Skinny! - (edited) tips/hints welcomed for 2 very different eaters!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
I weighed Cooper & Peanut this morning.

Cooper came in at 4.2kg
Peanut came in at 2.5kg

Worried about her weight - does that seem a little too much on the skinny side? Or is that quite normal for females??

Cooper eats well, think he's eating Peanut's share too!  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:57:36 AM by KookyPoss (Hayley) »

Link to CatChat