Author Topic: Shy cat?  (Read 1911 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Shy cat?
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Thanks Sam - thing is, she does seem to trust us, she'll happily come out and see us for a bit of a fuss, she was even playing again with me yesterday. She just seems reluctant to come out of the bedroom at all, and from her hiding place most of the time.

I think she's been slightly better this last weekend, but I'm going to stop worrying too much and analysing everything for the next couple of weeks! Maybe I'm unconsciously stressing her by expecting too much too soon.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 08:08:59 AM »
Her being 10 does explain things a lot more, as she has had all those years of one owner, then a brief rehome, then back to her house but with no owner - some oldies come into rescue and act fine, but others take time.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 23:14:58 PM »
Ahhh bless her ... the poor baby is probably still grieving for her owner.  She must be confused and probably worried that this may not be her forever home seeing as she was rehomed for a short time before.

I would have a look at the hints and tips here on how to bond with her.  I have always found sitting on the floor in the same room as them just read a booking is a good way to get a kitties attention .... they are such nosey creatures that they usually have to come out and see what you are doing.  When she does venture out .... just ignore her and let her come to you. Keep talking to her in a quiet calm voice and maybe have some treats that you can hand feed her.  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4793.0.html

It just a case to being calm and having patience and I'm sure in time she will trust you .
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 17:04:58 PM »
 ;D Good point!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 13:29:18 PM »
you don't know what she gets up to during the night, though

I watched a tennis match through the night a few weeks back, and was surprised how active my lot were - and I don't think it was because I was amongst them, as I was only lying on the sofa instead of the bed
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »
Yep, tried using her old name - nothing!

She's ten, so changes will be harder for her to adapt to than a younger cat.

If it's just a matter of time then that's great, I can deal with my own impatience better than the frustration of not being able to help her. (I didn't realise Feliway can take four weeks to work, that's useful to know.)

She can have as long as it takes, I really don't mind - just as long as she is happier eventually. It's heartbreaking to see a cat taking no interest at all in anything. But perhaps that's just me being a bit soft!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 11:23:15 AM »
Yes the plug-in does take about 4wks to work properly.

She is just finding it hard to settle in with such a huge change, its a big thing to have been with one person for all those years.
Have you tried coaching her out by calling her by her old name ? (something that is familiar to her )

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »
I would say she needs more time to settle, and Feliway can take up to 4 weeks to work. How old is she? While her background is better than some cats, she has had a very stressful two months, and as she is happy to come out for certain things, it is better than it could be. Also, you are taking her safe place away from her every night, which wont be helping her confusion
Please spay your cat

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 23:26:26 PM »
I hope it's just a matter of time, I really do. :(

As far as I know, her background is fine. She and her sister had been owned by one person since they were kittens. Sadly their owner died - must be about two months ago now. They were briefly rehomed (for three days) which didn't work out so they were back in their old home being fed by a neighbour for a few weeks before being picked up by the rescue.

Si, did you sister's cat ever stop hiding under the bed?

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 23:14:10 PM »
Aww poor Bass. What's her background? Was she mistreated in any way?

Maybe she just prefers to be alone  :-:

It's still early days though hey, maybe she just takes longer than most to adjust to new surroundings  :shy:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 23:13:56 PM »
My sister had a shy cat and it seemed to spend it's whole life under her bed. It is sad. It sounds like you are doing everything.

I think it is just going to be time really.

So sad but I suppose she has been through so much change.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Shy cat?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 23:10:15 PM »
I'm not sure if we have a shy cat or a disturbed one! (And I'll apologise now for the long post!)

We've had Drum and Bass now for over three weeks, Drum settled in quickly, she's about as chilled and relaxed as you could wish for and will also play like a kitten when she wants. She's very affectionate and loves company and will usually be on the sofa with us in the evenings.

Her sister, however, is a different story. Poor little Bass spends most of her time in the bedroom, either underneath a chest of drawers or beneath a low shelf - neither place seems very comfortable and there's no room for her to stand up (she crawls in and out on her belly).

She'll usually come out if we go in and talk to her but then all she does is rub her chin against anything nearby and stand around looking a little confused - as if she's not sure what she should be doing (that could just be my interpretation though, it's difficult not to humanise sometimes!). When we go to bed she'll come and lie on the bed with us while we read until I put both her and her sister out (we can't sleep with them in the bedroom, they're up and down all night, crawling all over us - not good when you've got a 6.30am start!).

The only other time she comes out is to go to the kitchen to eat but she'll charge straight back to the bedroom once she's had enough.

She doesn't seem scared of us or of her sister (although her sister is the dominant one), she uses the litter tray and seems fine healthwise (had her looked over by the vet today). We've spent lots of time talking to her, brushing her (which she likes) and feeding her treats. Most of the time she responds (although only for a few minutes and then she'll crawl away to her corner again) so I'm really not sure if it's shyness or something else.

I bought some Feliway spray last weekend and at first it seemed to help - she came out of the bedroom a few times and even played a bit. Sadly, it didn't last and a couple of days later she was back hiding under the shelf. On Thursday I got a Feliway plug-in but that doesn't seem to have had any effect at all.

I'm running out of ideas! I wouldn't mind her staying in the bedroom if she was lounging on the bed or snuggled up to the radiator but hiding under a shelf is not a good way to spend most of her time, she doesn't seem to have much of a life and I feel really sorry for her - and just wish I knew what to do.

Link to CatChat