Author Topic: Cystitis help please  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
Re: Cystitis help please
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:44:31 PM »
ive tried a feliway plugin to calm my cats after they had cystitus but it didnt work so i tried something that my auntys vet suggested which is a lavender plugin and theyve only had cystitus once or twice after that and its been few years now
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:34:28 AM »
Glad to hear Amber is better now. I've just had a 12 day stint of cystitis with my cat, so I know how stressful it is for cat and owner.  I've had no blood or tiny puddles for a week now, so I'm going to try dropping back to one Cystease today. 

If it is stress related cystitis, have you tried a Feliway diffuser?  I've had one for the last six months and stopped using it, to find my cat had cystitis within six days.  It may have been a coincidence, but I've got another Feliway diffuser now.  My cat is on a special vet diet at the moment, but another vet in the practice suggested we try Zyklene (Zylkene) on her, which you can buy online and helps with stress.  I want to see how the new diet goes, but I'm going to get some Zylkene in the hope it helps my cat with stress of the next outbreak of cystitis (and possibly vets visits).

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 16:40:35 PM »
Well Ive come to the conclusion that Amber is a very strange cat. She loves having tablets and happily coming trotting over when I pick them. Shes currently on anti biotics twice a day and cystease twice a day. This morning I did the ab and put the cystease on the side to sprinkle on her breakfast. Turned round and Amber's chewing the thing. She wont swallow it as its a capsule but have you ever tried to open and sticky chewed capsule? It stretches like a rubber band and then explodes  :evillaugh:
She seems fine again now which helps
Thanks for all the advice
love
Tab

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 20:16:12 PM »
Both my cats have had cystitis at some point. Sam my 15 year old had it around 7 years of age and was stress related (main stress causers being dogs and builders  :shify:) - took about 6 months to connect those.  I found that the the anti-inflammatory would usually calm things down fairly quickly.

Now the vet is wondering if she is straining to poo and that is causing sensitivity in the bladder, explaining why it happens for a few hours and then stops, and starts again a day or so later.
Chelsea (now 9) had bouts of cystitis last year but we discovered they were a symptom not a cause.

Anti-inflammatories made no difference; it was when she had pooed, the cystitis just stopped. Chelsea is long-haired and it turned out that she was getting constipated (from furballs) and that was causing pressure on the bladder/stress bringing on the cystitis. We do maintenance treatment for the furballs now and she has not had it since.  ;D

Cystitis can be from a whole range of causes/triggers so it might be worth seeing if you can find any common things happening around the time the cystitis occurs which could help your vet diagnose. As well of course getting the urine tested. 

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 17:39:46 PM »
My cat gets cystitis, so I know what you're going through.  I think it was wise to get her checked out at the vets, even though it's stressful for her. If she yowls again, can you discreetly watch her to try and work out if she's trying to wee at the same time.   My cat has had various tests which were negative and she is now on a 100% wet diet with water added,  regular cystease and a Feliway diffuser.  She has just had a 12 day bout which has come for a few hours and then gone and then come back for another few hours (and had anti-inflammatories and antibiotics from vet).  Now the vet is wondering if she is straining to poo and that is causing sensitivity in the bladder, explaining why it happens for a few hours and then stops, and starts again a day or so later.

I hope your little cat will feel better soon.  Keep us informed.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 14:12:35 PM »
Rescue Remedy behind the ears and in the water use to help Sylvester, plus a pure renal diet x

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 13:49:26 PM »
Thank you all  :hug:

We've been back to the vets today and she has had 2 injections anti inflam and anti biotic. Shes got 4 days of noroclov and also 2 tablets of Hypovase to give 1/2 as needed. Shes to continue on the cystease and the feliway and hopefully this will sort her out.
Luckily she doesnt mind too much about tablets. She quite happily watched me put cystease on her breakfast and stir it in before she ate it and comes running when you shake the tablet box ( odd cat  :Crazy:)
If this doesnt work they want to admit her and get a urine sample. I do have some of the bead litter to use for a sample but she tends to pooh at the same time so cant get a clean sample.

Shes now gone back to bed again  and Im kind of tempted to join her  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 01:52:56 AM »
I have had loads of problems with Fifi - i think she has had it about 7 times this year !
She has had a through examination, x ray , scan -nothing there.
Then i have tried cystease -she hates taking tablets and kept running away from me and she was also sick with them , had the same problems with Zycline(sp) .
I ended back at the vets where she had convenia (sp) injections, long lasting pain killers and up to now has been ok for the last 6 weeks -heres hoping.

It seems like the injections were the only thing that worked !?

Also got Feliway plugged in the bedroom she sleeps in - now she spends more time down stairs that she ever did !!!!

Talk about a contrary cat !!!!

Good luck with getting it sorted -its awaful to see them in and out the trays and squatting for ages  :(

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 23:04:57 PM »
Tiffany is subject to stress-related cystitis, and I have been through three cycles of 2 Cystease a day, then 1, then 1 every other day,  with her

she is currently on  the 1 every other day, and has been for three weeks now, and no recurrence as yet

so it might be a case of having to persevere for a good while - maybe the protective levels of the Cystease are cumulative

I am not taking any chances though - I have 300 capsules at the ready, and intend to go on with the maintenance dose for the rest of her life
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 18:40:48 PM »
No its stress related not bacterial. Its a case of I have a bad time and get stressed and Amber gets cystitis which doesnt usually help my stress levels but it does mean Im getting into meditation for the sake of my cat  :evillaugh:
Im going to try water dishes all round the flat but its not that she doesnt go to the bowl to drink as far as I can tell
love
Tab

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 18:27:40 PM »
Did they say if it is bacterial or stress related? - I have read some good things about d-mannose if it is bacterial. I can't advise on the yowling, except that I know after Clapton had his mouth done, he developed an aversion to his food dishes and water bowls in the house and was flinching from them long after it had healed up. With the warter bowls, he did it to the point of refusing to drink in the house any more. I even tried different dishes etc without any luck. They are complicated creatures  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Cystitis help please
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 17:48:33 PM »
Amber frequently gets cystitis and is one 1 cystease a day at the vets advice. On monday she started again so I took her to the vet. Normally they give her an injection and tell me to up to 2 tablets a day and shes fine. This time though they gave me metacam in a little bottle and told me to give her 3ml (?) once a day as well as 2 tablets. Although she didnt have diarrohea I think it upset her tummy so I stopped it yesterday. Last night every couple of hours she went on the tray and yowled and when I cleaned it this morning there were quite a few little soft poops. Ive been out all day and just given her tea with added water at the vets advice and Amber has bounced the liquid stuff and then went on the tray yowling. When I checked there were no poops and just a normal wee no red bits so Im thinking shes got into the habit of yowling on the tray. Ive been spraying feliway around to help but Im running out of ideas.
Has anyone got any suggestions please? I dont particulary want to stress her with another vet visit but if this keeps on I cant see an alternative.
Thanks
love
Tab

Link to CatChat