Author Topic: Feline Acne treatments...  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Feline Acne treatments...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 13:36:44 PM »
We Jess was suffering with this, we used hibiscrub for 2 weeks I think and I put his food on a saucer, however Jess would much rather a bowl!!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 22:00:09 PM »
Interesting that you have acne problems with ceramic bowls, they are supposed to be the best, whereas palastic isn't recommended. Not sure hibiscrub can go out of date, but my vet put some in a pill bottle and sold it to me, so maybe yours would do the same?

Mine was dispensed into a brown bottle. I'm told that once that's done it only lasts about a year, I've had it two.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 22:16:34 PM »
Your hibiscrub should be fine for at least 2 years after opening.  If you look at the label on the back of the bottle it will have a use by date on it .... even if this date has passed you will still have at least 4 or 5 months  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 20:50:31 PM »
Interesting that you have acne problems with ceramic bowls, they are supposed to be the best, whereas palastic isn't recommended. Not sure hibiscrub can go out of date, but my vet put some in a pill bottle and sold it to me, so maybe yours would do the same?
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 22:26:05 PM »
I do have some hibiscrub but am not sure it's "in date." I've had it in my cupboard a couple of years - will it still be effective?

Den, we only use ceramic bowls and they're cleaned thoroughly daily. Not sure what else I can do in that area; Madame is very highly strung and Master Darwin is a little rambunctious..... Astryd, however is a wonderful little girl with both the other cats and adapts her play to each cat accordingly....smart lady, she is. ;)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 14:04:51 PM »
When Zephyr had his acne I used to use an old flannel with a bit of warm water and hibi scrub and give the chin a good rub. 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
I don't have any links JS but I do have some experience ...

Memphis went through a long spell with Acne and I just could get rid of it. I changed a few things and he has been acne free for AGES. I started fresh with bowls ... He now has 7 of the brightly coloured plastic bowls from PAH. They get cleaned very thoroughly in fresh piping hot water with washing up liquid. Then dried thouroghly with kitchen paper.

As for the Acne itself. When it has scabbed over from where he was scratching I put some Ottodex skin cream (it's like germoline, but for animals). When there were no scabs, just acne I picked off as much of the black bits with my finger nail and cleaned the whole area twice a day with cotton wool and hibiscrub (diluted). It took a couple of weeks, but cleared up beautifully and it hasn't been back since.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Feline Acne treatments...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:16:09 PM »
Been doing a bit of digging around to see if I can find anything other than food bowls used to help Sage with her acne.

Does anyone have any good links to treatments for it? I've just called the vet, who said without seeing her to try TCP.....looked it up and one link said it can be toxic to cats. Bit worrying, clearly won't be trying that.

Will take her to the vets soon, just wanted to see if I could get as much info as possible first.

Link to CatChat