Author Topic: None vaccine associated Fibrosarcoma  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: None vaccine associated Fibrosarcoma
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 23:12:49 PM »
ending lots of good wishes and am sure you will make the right decision  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:16:43 AM »
Is it the kind of cancer that spreads to a certain place first? If so, you could x-ray that part to make sure it hasn't spread, which might help with a decision. The other thing you could do (and they normally hate this) is to ask the vet what they would do if it was their cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 22:23:23 PM »
I have experience of a hind leg amputation, and she did bounce back very quickly, but to me, a 70% chance of a cancer returning wouldnt be good enough for me to do something like that - it if was a 70% chance of it curing it, then yes, but not just a 30% chance.

I know what you are saying but it isn't an exact science - just an educated guess. To me, a chance is a chance. I know what I would do.

I'm with Mark on this one -
Without the Op she almost has no chance, So its worth giving her that chance

Good luck, Sending you loads of love xxx

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 18:49:50 PM »
Thankyou so very kindly for all your replies.
I am so torn, it's breaking my heart and stressing me soooooo much. I am literally sick with worry.
It is this 70% chance of spreading and/or reoccurring that is getting to me and making it so difficult.
I have very little time no to decide, probably until next weekend. The rest of the family don't not want me to put him through op with it not being a cure as such.
Thanks for the hugz and plz say a wee prayer that i can clear my head and make a decision that will ultimately be the best one for Tiggz.
Love & hugzzzzz
xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 12:51:39 PM »
Yes - but it had spread  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 11:46:12 AM »
didn't Sharon's (Canterbury Cats) Leo have to have an amputation because of cancer?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
i know, but to me, those odds aren't high enough to warrant that kind of operation. I am quite conservative with things like that, and will only put my cats through an op if the odds are quite high, I dont want to put them through the pain and recovery of an op if there isn't a good chance of a cure, but I think that is because of the age of mine.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:33:13 AM »
I have experience of a hind leg amputation, and she did bounce back very quickly, but to me, a 70% chance of a cancer returning wouldnt be good enough for me to do something like that - it if was a 70% chance of it curing it, then yes, but not just a 30% chance.

I know what you are saying but it isn't an exact science - just an educated guess. To me, a chance is a chance. I know what I would do.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 11:07:16 AM »
Please spay your cat

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 20:50:37 PM »
Hello, long time no speak!

Sorry you are haivng to go through this  :( I can't offer any advice but wanted to send you a  :hug:
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 20:24:40 PM »
No experience or advice, just wanted to send you a big  :hug: What a horrible thing to have to go through for both of you  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 01:16:16 AM »
I don't have experience of a cat losing a limb, although I have heard the recovery is quick and they adapt really well. I do have experience of a cat having cancer and being warned it could return. I originally was going to foster Alice for a couple of weeks as she has a rare type of cancer on her face. She had radical surgery and the vet said he went as deep as he could and removed all of it and some - however there was a chance it could return. It will be 3 years in December and so far there is no sign of it coming back  :)

All I know is she loves having her scar scratched  :Luv2:

Just my experience.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:17:57 AM by Mark »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 00:43:24 AM »
Such a hard decision and my heart goes out to you  :hug: :hug:

I have a birman with 3 legs but he lost it due to an accident.................maybe you have to think how long would Tiggz have without the op and the comparison  of the two, bearing in mind the pain if any and effects without the op against the similiar if he lost his leg.

All I can say is that you need to  be as happy as you can be with whichever decision you make,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I assume you must decide quickly?

I believe the recovery time from losing a leg is fairly quick and think Desley knows how long.

Please feel free to pm if you would like   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
None vaccine associated Fibrosarcoma
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 23:21:44 PM »
My gorgeous ginger moggie Tiggz has been diagnosed with none vaccine associated fibrosarcoma.
He had a lump removed last week and now we face the decision of amputation of a hind leg with a 70% chance of the sarcoma returning or letting nature take it's course and treat the symptoms maintaining quality of life & wellbeing.
I am not asking for help with my decision but would gratefully appreciate anyone with experience to elaborate.
The amputation doesn't bother me. It's the fact that putting him through this op that may not be a cure.
My head is all over the place at the moment so plz excuse me.
 :( :( :(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 23:30:39 PM by Mollyrock »

Link to CatChat