Author Topic: Darwin has a poorly eye....infection seems cleared; safe to stop eye drops?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Darwin has a poorly eye....infection seems cleared; safe to stop eye drops?
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 18:03:46 PM »
Just been sent photos by my friend this afternoon. Astryd playing, Sage in her basket and Darwin studying her camera phone - it's a close up and I'm pleased to say his eyes look fine. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 22:24:51 PM »
Those eye drops I used to use with Kocka when her eyes flared up and one dose and she was OK................no problems after that.

My vet knew about this and was with his approval.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 21:30:08 PM »
Yep, too late....I stopped about a day before the fifth day of treatment and am actually not at home at the moment, but my friend is living with the cats and mini zoo.

Darwins eye still looked fine the morning I left and I had a cuddle with all three cats before going; I'm missing them loads!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 18:31:39 PM »
I am probably a little late in replying, but you should complete the course with all antibiotics. The few days when the patient is asymptomatic are mopping up the last few bugs, also gives the eye time to heal if there is any damage from the bacterial infection. Stopping antibiotics too early leaves the eye vulnerable to opportunist infection and/ or resistant strains of bacteria.

How many days did the vet advise? My pharmacy is seriously rusty but I don't recall (human) patients having long courses ...  perhaps five days? Two days after the infection cleared?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Darwin has a poorly eye....
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 22:27:56 PM »
Darwins eyes seem completely recovered; do I continue treatment with the fucithalmic? (He hates it with a passion.....)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Darwin has a poorly eye....anyone got any spare metacam?
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »
I've never used Metacam for eye issues. Glad it doesn't seem to bother him too much JS, and good luck with the Fusithalmic - I have only ever used it twice a day
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
When Dawn has a bad eye she was given a jab and I was told to use metacam as I do have an unopened one here. However, I didn't use it and she was fine without.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »
I'm no vet JS but, having had experience of gunky cat eyes with Tom over the years and used fucithalmic cream, I don't recall having metacam prescribed. 

This could however be for all sorts of reasons e.g. the old style metacam was for dogs only and had to be very careful about dosage and maybe Darwin's eye looked very sore when he was at vet and metacam jab helped to reduce inflammation?  If vet did not specifically prescribe follow up metacam drops and Darwin's eye has since improved, I wouldn't be giving anymore metacam atm.............. for what that's worth.....

I certainly agree about being very careful that anything administered to the eye should well inside use by date.  Per NOAH:

"Shelf life after first opening of the tube: 1 month. After opening the tube for the first time add 1 month to calculate the date on which any product remaining in the tube should be discarded. This discard date should be written in the space provided on the carton"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:47:40 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »
poor lad hope he fells better soon
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »
I actually said I wasn't comfortable giving him the metacam with any frequency to the vet nurse on the reception. You don't think I'm being overly paranoid? He really doesn't seem bothered by it; he's himself in every aspect apart from discomfort with the squinty eye issue, which is already looking a little better.

I told the vet I had some fucithalmic already and he decided to try and save me some money, but I felt a new tube was necessary as I can't remember when it was opened and don't like the idea of risking something being out of date that goes directly in to Darwins eye!

(As an aside, although I like this vet as a person I try and see any of the other vets as I feel he should've retired years ago. He's more geared towards bovine treatment and due to that can be very abrupt; not good for a softie like me..... :shy:)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »
As an NSAID (anti inflammatory) perhaps the Metacam will just help to prevent inflammation whilst the eye cream gets a chance to work?  It's not really something that I like to give unless there's a good reason tbh and I'd think twice if he seems to be in no discomfort.

Sending a few  :hug:  :hug: :hug: to young Darwin if he stops still long enough to administer that is  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:19:04 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »
The vets are open for a whole hour today Mark, so it would be a mad dash.....and I think they'd charge me more for using the "Sunday service." In all honesty he genuinely doesn't seem to BE in much pain - judging by the "slippery pig wrestle" he's just exhibited as I tried to administer the fucithalmic. ;) (Note to self: MUST have small cat blanket to hand for drop administering.....)

He isn't acting any different at all, just has a slightly sore looking eye that has tiny traces of goop in it when he's been asleep.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 09:58:35 AM »
Poor Darwin, hopefully the meds will help his eye now, good to hear he seems well on himself though  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »
If it was Jan 2009 I wouldn't use it, but Jan 2010 might be OK. I spoke to our practice manager about Metacam and she said it loses its effectiveness over time. Is there no way of getting some today? - a small Metacam is only about £3 - it doesn't help with infection - it is for the pain, by the time somebody posted some to you, he will probably be over the worst of it as Fucithalmic works quickly.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:40 AM »
Ahhhh poor little Darwin .... sending lots of love and snuggles and hope he gets well soon  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 23:05:16 PM »
Altered the title as I was told to give him metacam to help fight the infection and knew I had some at home. Just checked and it was prescribed January last year; it says it's shelf life after opening is six months so am not sure if it's safe (or effective) to use.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 21:06:32 PM »
Me too. He's still bombing around like a loon and eating happily so not too affected....although he HATED going to the vet; he was physically shaking.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 20:23:20 PM »
Poor baby :care: Hope it clears up quickly for him  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 19:10:46 PM »
Darwin's been to the vet. The vet is fairly convinced that the eye issue is conjunctivitis, and Darwin has Chlamydia.

He's been given a metacam jab and I've been told to give him a few drops a day for a few days. I also have to administer Fucithalmic twice a day for around a week. (He said as many times a day as possible, but that's a bit vague for me. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.)

He told me not to worry as it's a common infection in cats. Clearly, I'm still worried, but trying not to go overboard.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »
Just called the nice lady who gives me a lift...she's provisionally booked. (Has visitors so obviously don't want to cause issue with her plans.)

Any lottery wins gratefully received at present.... :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 01:45:47 AM »
Think you should get it checked by vet cos eyes can be so easily hurt  :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 20:55:21 PM »
I was planning on making sure overnight and taking him tomorrow afternoon if necessary. I tend to panic alarming amounts rather than rationalising, so am trying to be less neurotic. Don't worry, Mark if he doesn't look improved tomorrow the poor lad will be going for a check.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 20:45:59 PM »
I would be straight to the vet. They can put a dye on it to check for any damage.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 20:38:13 PM »
I can't see anything, but to be honest he's mostly keeping his eye shut. When he opens it, he doesn't keep it open long and it looks sore.

He isn't off his food or his jaunts and has just attacked my hand (unprovoked I might add) so is his usual self. Does this sound like what happens with Tess?

Have been bathing it with chamomile tea as I remember Teresa saying it was good for sore eyes. He hates me for it and I have to keep bribing him to stay still with dentabits.

PS: Will ensure Padster snoozle on Sirs return. ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 20:38:43 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 20:33:47 PM »

Any signs of a grass haulm JS - the husk of a grass seed?

Sometimes at this time of year when the seed heads are still hanging on to the grass, they can scratch the surface of the eye.  If his third eye isn't showing, then this would seem a possible explanation, especially if there's nothing visible in the eye itself.   Tess sometimes gets them (she loves to nose about in the long grass)

Sending Darwin a snoozle from his Unkel Paddy.   :catlove2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Darwin has a poorly eye....infection seems cleared; safe to stop eye drops?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 20:13:41 PM »
Nothing else seems to be bothering him. It's bloodshot and sore looking.

Not sure what to do for the best; advice is really appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 15:20:47 PM by JackSpratt »

Link to CatChat