Author Topic: 2 Kitties Help please  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: 2 Kitties Help please
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 17:53:50 PM »
I would say they are are just "playing rough" . My main suggestion would be to make sure claws are clipped on both of them to reduce any "accidents".  You just need to take the very sharpe tips off front claws.

As he was only "done" mid july he may still have a few stray hormones rushng round his system and I'm sure he will calm down soon.  It usually takes 6 - 8 weeks for them to calm down completely. 

BTW ... they are both gorgeous  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sean

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Nando & Lilly
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 00:51:05 AM »
I'm going through the exact same thing! I got my kitten 3 months ago and they still hiss, spit, bite....you name it! I'm not overly concerned as it can take up to a year for cat's to iron out their differences and form a working relationship. Anyway a cat will usually appreciate another warm body in the home while their owners are out. How did you go about the introduction? Slowly, or did you put them together?

hi well we were gonna do it slowly but when trying to leave her room she escaped and they bumped into to eachother and that was like after half an hour and theyve been left put together ever since first 5 nights they spent seperate tho...

he is just trying to play i think just shes a very vocal cat anyway she'll meow for anything and everything so hopefully the wailing or squealing or the weeeoooowwwww noise will subside once shes been here a while also the size difference might be a factor if someone twice my size came for a bit of playfightin i think id be a bit worried for my wellbeing myself but it is still very early doors and they seem to be doin ok some times and others sprintin round with him chasing her

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 13:49:10 PM »
 :welcome:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Miles

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Yitzach and Walter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 13:09:47 PM »
I'm going through the exact same thing! I got my kitten 3 months ago and they still hiss, spit, bite....you name it! I'm not overly concerned as it can take up to a year for cat's to iron out their differences and form a working relationship. Anyway a cat will usually appreciate another warm body in the home while their owners are out. How did you go about the introduction? Slowly, or did you put them together?
Mum to two gorgeous cat's, Yitzach and Walter.

Offline sean

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 15:22:31 PM »
good i did think it was playing as she will run and he will chase, the norm is shell roll to her back and kick him in the head also should say that hell do the biting and ive seen him on occassion licking her in the same area round the head and neck

the personality difference between them is hes a playful type wholl climb run around and generally be a cat he chirps alot and gives out head rubs when hes feeling nice, shes a timid thing whos gaining confidence wholl play on her own but not yet with him although she trys to stalk him but hes always caught her out so far. also if shes in her hidey holes shell have a swipe when he walks past. purrs her head off all the time when you feed her and all you have to do is touch her to get her purring.

heres an example of how they can be together think this was monday

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 15:13:02 PM »
Oh how gorgeous they both are  :Luv: :Luv:

As you say it's early days so I'd keep an eye and don't allow things to become too aggressive as Lily is so much smaller than  Nando.  It's always difficult until they find their place in the pecking order. 

I won't be surprised to hear that Lily eventually comes out as TopCat  :innocent:  The jumping on back and biting neck can also be a dominance thing I understand but at Nando's age I'm sure he doesn't know why he's doing it either  :)  I think I would try and distract him by playing with them both.  Fishing rod toys are always good for this.  Have you visited the Purrs Shop yet?  Profits go to cat rescue.  Just click up in top right hand corner.  Da Bird is a great favourite and is sure to distract Nando.

Glad to hear Lily is starting to fight back.  Our Billy (neutered in 2004) still does this occasionally to Ruby (who had her op last year) but then Ruby is such a big softy.

The Feliway takes a few weeks to kick in but should help when it does.

ETA the link to pics of Purrs cats playing with Da Bird.  Sorry couldn't resist.  Just click on link and then click on next button below pics  :)  Our Noni is the beautiful furry tabby flying through the air in the garden  :)

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/catalog/da-bird-uk-gocat-da-bird-cat-toy-part-easy-store-rod-p-38.html
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 15:22:50 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline sean

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 14:41:48 PM »
that was nando bout 2 months ago and lilly is here

Offline sean

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 14:40:44 PM »
Yeah he got done mid july what ever it is the littlin dont like it a bit thought he was tryin to get his groove on but couldnt be sure thank you, what you reckons best just let it play out... im aware its still early days since they havent even been together for 2 weeks

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 14:36:08 PM »
Beat me to it Angie  :)  Yep I'd call that mating behaviour too. 

:welcome: to Purrs Sean.  Hope you enjoy it here.  Don't suppose you have any pics of the young tike Nando and baby Lily by any chance?  :)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 14:33:16 PM »
Has he been neutered yet? that will reduce his aggression and also any mating behaviour - something she doesn't need!

Offline sean

• Kitten
2 Kitties Help please
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 14:23:45 PM »
Hi I'm new here but have been looking for help/advice all over bout my 2 kittens.

We have a 7 month old male kitten(Nando) and last week brought in a 13 week old girly pie kitten(lilly), at first it seemed ok nando hissed and growled but he got over it within the first night and ever since just chased her around and was swiping at her back legs ever since saturday (4th) theyve slept in the same room together and generally get on ok except when he wants to play.

when he chased and swiped lilly hissed and growled and went to her nearest hidey hole, but tuesday morning nando developed a new eating habit... his new little sister a habit which she doesnt like she squeals whenever he does it he normally goes for round the back and side of the neck aswell as the stomach but on the odd occasion the back legs too. theres no noticible damage done and i do beleive he is just trying to play but he scares her because of the difference in size as hes about 2 times bigger.

she has started to fight back now giving kicks with her back legs and trying to bite back but she still squeals every time, he doesnt even sniff around her anymore. almost upon seeing her goes to try and get on top of her and bite her neck.

is it bullying or is he just trying to play 2 more examples are he left the room the second he did she went to use the litter tray (they share one we gave them seperates but they just used any) another is this morning he likes to suckle his tail he does that purrs and kneads away he started this morning she looked at him curiously he went over and did his whole bitey thing.

sorry to waffle on i just need advice on whats going on and what to do, itll be 2 weeks together for them on tuesday and since yesterday weve had a feliway plugged in thank you in advance

Link to CatChat