Author Topic: increased appetite - Feliway?  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: increased appetite - Feliway?
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 13:37:39 PM »
I would imagine that it is a side effect cos when cats feel more relaxed they will be aqble to enjoy their food more  ;D

That is what sprang to mind when I saw the title, but I read through all the answers in case someone else had already suggested it  :evillaugh:

Although it could just be a combination of things. I usually leave food on my plate but if it is an Indian takeaway, my plate is so clean it could go back on the shelf  :drool;  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 03:50:43 AM »
I would imagine that it is a side effect cos when cats feel more relaxed they will be aqble to enjoy their food more  ;D

Offline Miles

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Yitzach and Walter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 13:02:44 PM »
I've never heard of an increased appetite due to feliway....i think i will look into that!
Mum to two gorgeous cat's, Yitzach and Walter.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 10:09:14 AM »
I have not found that with feliway.

I was going to suggest that he just likes his food and is a greedy little piggy  ;D  Jaffa is a greedy little piggy and he'd have a meal every hour if he had the chance.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: increased appetite - any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 22:58:32 PM »
I think I may have solved the mystery of the newly found appetite

it coincides with my connecting a Feliway diffuser, and apparently an increase in appetite is a side effect in some cats

has anyone else found this?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 21:45:11 PM »
This may or may not help ... It just popped into my head. With canine nutrition the higher quality the food the less they need of it. The higher quality it is the more nutrients they absorb from a smaller quantity. So with a canine if you were to feed the same amount or more of a high protein food as a cheap food they will put on weight very easily. Also guidlines tend to be on the high side.

So if Felines are similar I'd expect weight gain unless activity was increased or food amounts decreased to match activity levels.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 14:41:42 PM »
That could well be the case.  I think Bozita has a high meat content which could mean less calories and carbohydrates. As said before, just keep an eye on his weight and general health and review things in a few days.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 22:17:57 PM »
you've given me an idea now, Catmad - the recommended daily amounts for Bozita and A Taste of the Wild are higher than for the more common cat foods, so presumably they are less calorific

which would mean eating more of them is in fact to be expected
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 20:37:04 PM »
It could be that he is enjoying the new food more, or if there is less carbohydrates in it, it's less filling (don't be put off by this as a better quality diet has to be a good thing).

If there are no symptons whatsoever, I'd try weighing him one a week for two weeks and see if he puts on any more. If the weight is still increasing or there are any symptons, then I would certainly get him checked out.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 15:58:14 PM »
he's always been rather inactive - or laid back, as no doubt he would prefer me to say ;)

until he sees a cat carrier, that is

it's just so odd to me that I have struggled for 9 years to get him to eat enough, and suddenly he is looking for food all the time - he is now eating more than Tiffany and Tosker, and both of them are quite - well, portly :-[

I'll keep weighing him, and if he does start losing weight he will have to have a blood test :scared:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 15:31:18 PM »
Could it be that he is just enjoying the tasty food he is being offered? Is he more sedentary too as he gets older?

When I look back on photos of Tiggy & Benji they were both portly at around 'middle age' and I don't recall their eating habits changing.

Offline Miles

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Yitzach and Walter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »
An increased appetite can be attributed to many things. Are there any other symptoms did you say? Sorry if you said there were but i haven't read it correctly! :-[
Mum to two gorgeous cat's, Yitzach and Walter.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »
Jumpy turned into a piglet as he reached around 5 years. Middle aged spread.  :evillaugh: Is there any reason why you would think it's hyper T rather then him just wanting to eat more?  :shify: Normally the simplest answer is the correct one.  ;) :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
increased appetite - Feliway?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:26:05 PM »
are there any medical conditions which make a cat start eating more, but gain rather than lose weight?

Trigger has been showing much more interest in food just lately, and I feared it might be the start of HyperT (he is 9 now) but have been weighing him and he is 4.8 kilos, which is at least  0.8 more than last February at the vets, and I'm pretty sure more than he has ever been

he still looks lean and svelte, his pooing, weeing and drinking are all normal

the only difference lately is that I have been feeding him Bozita meat, lambs kidney and heart, coley and a grain free dry food, A Taste of the Wild

is it possible cutting out all rubbish additives could alone account for his sudden interest in food? or is there cause for concern?

I should add that Trigger has major freak outs at going to the vet, so that is not for me the first resort

can anyone offer advice or an opinion, please?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 22:59:24 PM by trigger, Reason: change title »
Robert A. Heinlein:

Link to CatChat