Author Topic: Eating anything and everything...  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Re: Eating anything and everything...
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
My first question, is has she been wormed? 

Also, ss Hippykitty says maybe she is dehydrated and it's making her go for anything.  Even cats that drink a lot on a dry diet, still take in only 50/60% fluid than one on a 100% wet diet.  I don't know if you are against feeding wet, but just wondered if it's worth giving her the same amount of dry and a small amount of wet.  This will help fill her up, is healthier than her eating any human food she can get and if it's a fluid thing her intake will be slightly increased. If an increase in cat food and liquid doesn't help, then I'd go down the route of getting her checked out by the vet.

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 23:10:11 PM »
Maybe she's dehydrated and doesn't like drinking water, so she's trying to get at food with fluid content. It may be worth trying a mild, high quality wet food.
She actually drinks wuite a bit of water :)
www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk

Owned by 7 rabbits and a 2 cats

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 23:02:03 PM »
Maybe she's dehydrated and doesn't like drinking water, so she's trying to get at food with fluid content. It may be worth trying a mild, high quality wet food.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 21:17:46 PM »
If she is small for her age and hungry/ greedy I'd consider increasing the food intake - you can't do any harm as long as you keep an eye on her weight. With long term digestive problems she may well not have been absorbing everything she needs so could be still playing 'catch up'. Do you know what caused the problem, was it an infection or food sensitivity? Did she have a course of probiotics/ beneficial bacteria (e.g. LactoB)? Some cats don't thrive on foods high in grains like Royal Canin.

She didn't have an infection or anything vet said it was more than likely the food she was being given (whiskas wet food with small amounts of dry, we tried her just on the dry food and she still had a bad tum so we moved her onto RC. She did have a course of probiotics at the time as well.
I have asked about the RC food on another thread and have been given some other brand suggestions so I will start to change her over to a food higher in meat content, thanks for your help

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 21:08:33 PM »
If she is small for her age and hungry/ greedy I'd consider increasing the food intake - you can't do any harm as long as you keep an eye on her weight. With long term digestive problems she may well not have been absorbing everything she needs so could be still playing 'catch up'. Do you know what caused the problem, was it an infection or food sensitivity? Did she have a course of probiotics/ beneficial bacteria (e.g. LactoB)? Some cats don't thrive on foods high in grains like Royal Canin.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »
How much is half a cup in weight?

Roughly 40g, this is what is says to feed on the packet, should it be more/less?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
How much is half a cup in weight?
Please spay your cat

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 11:41:49 AM »
How much are you feeding, and how frequently? Is the food high quality and are her poops well formed? Just wondering if she is absorbing all the nutrition required for a growing kitten. The jumping onto the table and into the fridge could perhaps be trained out using a clicker.

She is on Royal Canin kitten Growth dry food, she has half a cup morning and evening, If she empties the bowl somtimes i top her up a bit extra before the sort of set times she usually gets it. Her poops are normal now, but she had terrible problems when she came to us, it was a couple of months before it got to normal. I will read up about clicker training, thanks.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:57:53 AM »
How much are you feeding, and how frequently? Is the food high quality and are her poops well formed? Just wondering if she is absorbing all the nutrition required for a growing kitten. The jumping onto the table and into the fridge could perhaps be trained out using a clicker.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 17:14:18 PM »
hyperT is extremely rare in a cat of Lila's age, so her eating habits are more likely to be behavioural rather than the result of a medical condition

unless she is bunged up and has lost some sense of taste and/or smell - which would account for the strange foods she is eating

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline DandCmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 15:26:32 PM »
Our cats are a bit like that, especially Dexter. He loves to be in and around us, in the fridge etc when we are cooking and can be quick as lightening at stealing your food! He even does a little growl when he gets some food to say "back off its mine"! He was also very small when we got him, much tinier than his bruvver cartman who is from the same litter! Even though he eats loads he still doesnt seems to get over fat thought proably ebcause of all the mad running around he does!

If the vet thinks there is nothing to worry about just keep an eye on her, especially now she has been spayed!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
Jaffa is a bit like that.  It's nothing to do with hunger with him and everything to do with the fact that he's a greedy pig  :rofl:

She is probably just at that teenage eat everything hollow legs phase.  Now that she's been spayed you need to keep a closer eye on her weight though as her metabolism will slow down a bit so now's the time when she could start gaining weight.

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »
Just did a long reply and it seems to have disappeared!
I should have added a bit of background on her - she is around 6 months old, given to us by nephew who rescued her from someone getting rid of a litter of kittens, we were told she was 8 weeks, took her to the vet straight away who said more like 4 weeks max 5 weeks old.
She was fed with baby milk and normal food from the start.
She was spayed 4 weeks ago and i mentioned to the vet then that she was an eating machine and they told me not to worry too much, she is a healthy weight (definately not loosing any) but maybe a little on the small side for her age.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:32:52 AM »
Good advice on here so far so can't add anything else really  :shy:

Just to say though that my boy Poot is very much like that, he hounds for food permanently and that's just his nature.  As a former stray I guess he took food when I could, and I do wonder if that mentality ever leaves them  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:03:06 AM »
I agree she should see a vet.

It's possible that the explanation lies in her history. You speak of her as little; does she have a stray or feral background? Ex-ferals will grab at any food going as though it's the last food they'll ever see, because as ferals they have to eat what they can when they can.

But book her into a vet asap.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 23:42:25 PM »
I agree with Trigger. How old is she? - It is rare for cats under 10 to have it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 22:51:07 PM »
if she seems to be ravenous all the time, and is losing weight despite eating a lot,  she could be hyperthyroid

a blood test would be necessary to determine if she is
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
Eating anything and everything...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 22:25:51 PM »
My little one (Lila) is like a walking dustbin, she eats anything and everything. OH dropped a spicy dorito piece and she was there like a shot and had eaten it before he bent down, likewise when i dropped a pice of cookie. We also have to shut her in another room while cooking/eating as she is now becoming a danger. She jumps in the fridge when you open it and tries to do the same with the oven, she has also jumped up to the hob when i was cooking, then she jumps on the table while you are eating.
Our other cat Fifi is not like that at all, she only eats her cat food and is not that desperate for treats either.
Does anyone else have a cat that behaves this way over food? Should I be worried about it?

Link to CatChat